Essential Information About Rome in December
Weather in Rome During the Month of December
- As any other European nation, the weather in Rome gets pretty chilly during the months of December.
- The average temperature during this time ranges between 7 degree to 10 degree celsius, and can go from cloudy and dank to extremely sunny as well.
- Owing to the city having a Mediterranean climate all through the year, this month is rather cold, with the rare snowfall on some days.
- Despite the unbeatable cold, the festive spirits are unbeatable which makes it one of the popular times to visit Rome In December. You will find a number of Christmas decorations lighting up the night sky.
Book Now: Galileo Museum Tickets
What to Pack for Rome in December
- It is very important to carry a good pair of socks and shoes if you are visiting Rome In December as the weather can get extremely chilly at night.
- Scarfs are a must to avoid the chilly breeze that flows throughout the day.
- Carry a jacket at all times. Woollen clothes and waterproof sport jackets are another add on.
- It is also smart to carry umbrellas and raincoats just in case of unexpected rain showers.
- For girls, cardigans, pullover sweaters and turtlenecks are a good option.
- Don't forget to carry gloves when visiting Rome during December.
Also Book: Boboli Gardens Tickets
Things to Do in Rome in December
- The pantheon is one of the biggest and most divine places to explore in Rome In December.
- The Pantheon represents the diverse cultural history of Rome, being the first temple built in the 57 BC for the people of Rome.
- The architecture of the Pantheon is truly divine, with over sixteen monoliths that are 14 metres high, adorned with some pink and grey granites, beautifully crafted bronze doors and more.
- Tourists can choose to take self guided tours as well as trained guides with them to indulge in some of the most sought after things to do in Rome in December.
Location: Piazza della Rotonda, 00186 Roma RM, Italy
Timings: Monday - Saturday 8:30 to 19:30
Read More: Unusual Things To Do In Rome
Book Now: Pantheon Tickets
Discover Sistine Chapel
- Constructed in the year 1512, the Sistine Chapel is another creative wonder which you must discover in your tour of Rome In December.
- The Sistine Chapel will greet you with beautiful paintings just when you enter. It is also the holy site where every year the pope of Rome gets elected.
- Michelangelo was the main architect behind the construction of the ceiling. The side was divided into three main years, with beautiful paintings known by the names of Life of Moses and The Life of Christ.
Timings: 9am - 4pm
Also Read: Places To Visit In Rome
Checkout Available Deals On: Vatican Museums Tickets
- Colosseum, the largest amphitheatre in the state, that was built during the reign of Flavian emperors is one of the most famous places to explore in Rome In December.
- The construction of this beautiful structure dates back to BCE 72. The impressive structure of the attractions, consist of massive towers, that go upto a heights of 156 metres, with more than 80 eighty entrances to the theatre.
- In earlier times, this theatre was where major events, fights and other activities were conducted for the emperors as it could accommodate an impressive capacity of 50,000 people.
Location: Piazza del Colosseo, 1, 00184 Roma RM, Italy
Timings: 9am - 4.30pm
Must Read: Things To Do In Rome
Click Here to Book Now: Colosseum Tickets
Explore Palatine Hill
- Palatine Hill is another one of the most exclusive landmarks to visit in Rome In December.
- The beautifully engraved Domius Flavia, was built in the year 81 BC and served as a place of official residence for the Emperor Domitian.
- If you are looking for the best things to do in Rome in December, visit the House of Livia and catch a glimpse of the eccentric remains of the mosaics and frescoes that at one time were used by the residents.
- The beautiful Franese gardens are another aesthetic botanical beauties that will catch your eye.
Location: Vatican City
Recommended Read: Rome Monuments
Great Deals Available On Bioparco di Roma Tickets
Admire St. Peter’s Basilica
- Witness the St. Peter's Basilica's majestic façade and dome from the base of the Egyptian obelisk in St. Peter's Square.
- Visit this Vatican City's gem, the largest church in the world, where Popes have carried the gospel of Jesus Christ over the globe.
- Learn about the basilica's cultural, historical, and architectural significance, which draws millions of people every year, and be mesmerized on your trip to Rome in Winter.
- View the priceless artwork from past centuries, including sculptures, paintings, and more.
Opening Hours: Monday to Sunday: 7:00 am to 6:30 pm (7:00 pm in summer)
Must Read: Churches In Rome
Click Here to Book Now: St. Peter's Basilica Tickets
Take a Trastevere Neighbourhood Walk
- If you want to relish upon the beautiful and engaging neighbourhood of Trastevere then do give this place a visit while exploring Rome In December.
- The neighbourhood has aesthetic environments full of narrow lanes, old churches, trattorias and cafés, wherein you and your loved ones can have a delightful time.
- During the night time, the streets get crowded with party lovers and pub goers and take up a very cheerful ambiance that youngsters will definitely love and enjoy.
- Explore the Piazza di Santa Maria and have delightful meals at the range of restaurants at those places.
Read More: Day Trips From Florence
Also Book: National Etruscan Museum of Villa Giulia Tickets
Checkout Borghese Palace & Villa Borghese
- If you are looking to explore unique places in Rome In December, then head to The Galleria which is famous as an art museum housing exceptional paintings.
- The gallery has a wide range of antiques, sculptures and paintings which one can marvel at. The park has an excellent pond, with beautiful botanical gardens and greenery that pose as the perfect background for your pictures.
- The palace even has a zoo inside that has a wide range of animals and birds. With excellent vineyards, aesthetically beautiful gardens and green landscapes, you can expect to have a time of your life here.
Location: Piazza Borghese, 9, 00186 Roma RM, Italy
Recommended Read: Museums In Florence
Checkout and Book: Leaning Tower Of Pisa Tickets
Visit Roman Catacombs
- One of the must do activities in Rome in December is exploring The Roman Catacombs.
- The Catacombs are exclusive burial grounds that were used extensively by Jews and Christians by the 15th century.
- Earlier in times, Christsians did not consider burning the dead bodies as a viable solution therefore these catacombs were created.
- When you enter into these catacombs, you will come across subterranean passageways with labyrinths that run up to several kilometres long. It is extremely fascinating to explore and dig deep into these mysterious passageways which hold their own stories.
Timings: 9am - 12pm
Must Read: Temples In Rome
Book Now: Duomo Florence Tickets
Discover Vatican Museums
- Situated right in the heart of the Vatican city, the Vatican Museums are another delightful attraction to explore in Rome In December.
- Marvel at the wide range of paintings and sculptures that adorn the entire length of the gallery.
- In here you will find amazing sculptures and paintings of Renaissance greats such as Raphael, Caravaggio, Michelangelo, Bernini, and da Vinci.
- The Vatican Museums are a great attraction to delve deeper into the historical ceremonies and revolutions.
Timings: 8.30am - 10.30pm
Recommended Read: Things To Do In Rome With Kids
You Can Checkout Great Discounts On Florence Cathedral Tickets
Checkout Piazza Navona
- The beauty and aesthetically pleasing ambiance of Piazza Navona makes it one of the most beautiful attractions to explore in Rome during December.
- This public square hosts a number of events all throughout the year. From water sports to amazing fountains, the square is a perfect location to spend your evening escapades at.
- You will come across two of the most fantastic creations of Michelagon, Fontana del Moro (the Fountain of the Moor) and the Fontana del Nettuno (Fountain of Neptune) that will catch your eye.
- Spend an evening vibing to the inevitable beautiful ambiance of this location in your Rome expedition.
Location: Piazza Navona, 00186 Roma RM, Italy
Read More: Rome Historical Sites
Also Checkout & Book: Medici Chapel Tickets