Explore Amsterdam’s Canal Ring
- Amsterdam is home to more than 100 kilometres of canals, which were built in the 17th century as a way to transport goods and people around the city.
- Today, the canals are a UNESCO World Heritage Site and a popular spot for tourists and locals alike. If you want to explore the canals on your own, you can rent a boat or go on a self-guided walk tour.
- There are also many free self-guided tours available online, which is a great way to learn about the history and architecture of the canal system.
Location: Amsterdam, North Holland, Netherlands
Click Here to Book Now: Van Gogh Museum Tickets
Visit the Flower market (Bloemenmarkt)
- The Flower Market (Bloemenmarkt) is the world’s only floating flower market, and it’s one of the best free things to do in Amsterdam.
- The market dates back to 1862 when it was created as a floating market to sell flowers from Netherlands bulb fields.
- Nowadays, the Bloemenmarkt is still a great place to buy flowers and houseplants, as well as bulbs in season.
- The best time to visit is on a Monday when the flower growers are in attendance. But even on other days, it’s fun to stroll along the canals and sniff the roses!
Location: Singel, 1012 DH Amsterdam, Netherlands
Timings: Monday to Saturday - 9:00 am to 5:30 pm and Sunday - 11:30 am to 5:30 pm
Also Checkout and Book: Rijksmuseum Tickets
Visit To Rijksmuseum Garden
- The Rijksmuseum Garden is one of the things to do in Amsterdam for free that you shouldn't miss.
- Located in the museum district, this garden was designed by Pierre Cuypers, the same architect who designed the Rijksmuseum itself.
- The garden features a number of statues and sculptures, including a copy of the famous "I Am Amsterdam" sculpture.
- There's also a beautiful pond, and plenty of benches where you can sit and relax.
Location: Museumstraat, 1071 ZC Amsterdam, Netherlands
Timings: 9:00 am to 6:00 pm
Explore Gassan Diamonds Tour
- Gassan Diamonds is one of the things to do in Amsterdam for free as it offers a free tour of their facilities, during which you'll learn all about the diamond-cutting process.
- You'll also get to see some of the world's most famous diamonds up close, including the Hope Diamond and the Koh-i-Noor.
- Afterwards, you can browse the on-site diamond store, where you'll find an impressive selection of loose diamonds and finished jewellery.
- Whether you're in the market for a new piece of jewellery or just want to window shop, Gassan Diamonds is a great place to spend an hour or two.
Location: Nieuwe Uilenburgerstraat 173-175, 1011 LN Amsterdam, Netherlands
Also Checkout a Detailed Guide to Visit: Heineken Experience Tickets
Visit Centrale Bibliotheek
- The Amsterdam Public Library is one of the most beautiful buildings in the city designed by Dutch architect Jo Coenen and opened in 2007.
- The library is open to the public and houses over 1.2 million books.
- It is one of the best free things to do in Amsterdam where visitors can explore the various floors of the library, which offer different views of the city.
- There is also a cafe and a roof terrace with panoramic views of Amsterdam.
Location: Oosterdokskade 143, 1011 DL Amsterdam, Netherlands
Timings: 10:00 am to 8:00 pm
Enjoy your Time at Museums In Amsterdam
Check Out the Red-Light District
- No visit to Amsterdam is complete without at least a walk-through of the famous Red Light District.
- This is the part of town where prostitutes windows line the narrow canals, and though it may be a bit seedy, it's also fascinating.
- During the day, the area is fairly safe and upbeat, with tourists and locals alike doing their shopping at the many sex shops and adult theaters.
- At night, it does get seedier, but as long as you use common sense, you'll be fine.
Location: De Wallen, Amsterdam
Timings: 12:00 pm to 5:00 pm
You May Also Like: Moco Museum Tickets
Experience Friday Night Skates
- One of the most popular and best free things to do in Amsterdam is to join the Friday Night Skates. Every week, skaters of all levels come together to skate around the city.
- Whether you’re a beginner or a seasoned pro, everyone is welcome to join in on the fun.
- If you don’t have your own skates, don’t worry – there are plenty of places to rent them.
- And if you need a little help getting started, there are free skating lessons offered before the skate begins.
- The Friday Night Skates are a great way to see Amsterdam from a different perspective and meet new people. So put on your skates and enjoy!
Location: Tolstraat 190, 1074 VN Amsterdam, Netherlands
Timings: Friday: 8:30 pm – 10:30 pm
Explore Now: Things To Do In Amsterdam
Take a Ride on the Ferry
- Amsterdam has an extensive canal system which is one of the city's most iconic features.
- Visitors can take a free ride on one of the many ferries that operate throughout the day.
- Take a free ride on one of the city's many canals. The best way to do this is by hopping on a ferry at one of the city's many quays.
- The most central quay is located behind Centraal Station, and from here you can catch a ride to any number of destinations, including NEMO, eye Amsterdam, and the Red Light District.
You May Also Like: Amsterdam Canal Cruise
Explore NEMO Science Centre
- NEMO Science Centre is an interactive science museum in Amsterdam dedicated to increasing public engagement with science and technology.
- With over 250 hands-on exhibits, the museum has something for everyone.
- Some of the highlights of the museum include the tornado simulator, the chance to be a human Guinea pig in medical experiments, and the Opportunity Lab where you can tinker with tech gadgets.
- There is also a rooftop terrace with great views of the city. The museum also has a planetarium with shows about the solar system.
Location: Oosterdok 2, 1011 VX Amsterdam, Netherlands
Timings: 10:00 am to 5:30 pm
Must Read: Amsterdam Nightlife
Walk in Vondelpark
- Vondelpark urban park is huge, spanning over 460 acres, and is one of the most popular places in the city to take a stroll, have a picnic, listen to a concert, or just enjoy some time outdoors.
- The park is one of things to do in Amsterdam for free and also has an open-air theatre,run by the city's theatre company (De Toneelschuur), which stages performances of classic Dutch plays as well as more contemporary works.
Location: Museumkwartier, Amsterdam, Netherlands
Timings: 9:00 am to 8:00 pm
Also Checkout and Book: Keukenhof Tickets