- Located in Staffordshire’s heart, Dimmingsdale Valley is an important ecological and historical site.
- Dimmingsdale has been transformed from an aristocrat's dream into a place that everyone can enjoy thanks to Forestry England.
- The Valley Walk contains the Earl of Shrewsbury's beautiful drives.
- Visitors to this picturesque spot in North Staffordshire can now walk where once fine carriages transported the gentry on outings.
- At any time of year, the green hills and dramatic rocky outcrops of this woodland are a treat.
Recommended Read: Things To Do In London
Church of the Holy Cross
- Greenford's historic parish church is Holy Cross Church, and is one of the main attractions near Alton Towers.
- Stop by an old 14th century church and a newer, more modern church which is also present in this area.
- Roman Catholics have gathered in this place since 1842 to participate in religious services, to affirm the Gospel and mark important events in people's lives.
- Holy Cross has become a spiritual home for people of all ages and nationalities, as well as their families.
Timing: Services Sun Mass 11am, Wed-Thu 6pm, Fri 12.45pm, Sat 10.30am, Feast Days 7pm, Open Day every Fri 10am-2pm (Coffee Morning).
Suggested Read: Places To Visit In London
Peak Wildlife Park
- Peak Wildlife Park zoo is one of the unique attractions near Alton Towers located in the heart of the Staffordshire Peak District.
- Their expansive exhibits let you get up close and personal with all of the exotic animals from three continents providing a truly immersive animal experience.
- There is something for everyone at the park, whether you're a fan of lemurs, penguins, or just want to hang out with the wallabies or simply hand feed them.
- Observe otters, meet the meerkats, listen to the Rheas, and don't forget to stop by an African village to see the Pygmy Goats.
- The children's play area features a giant bouncy castle, space hoppers, and other fun-for-the-kids rides.
Timing: Open Monday to Sunday 10 AM – 6 PM
Entry Fee: An adult ticket (16+ years) -£32.27
The Blacksmith Arms
- The Blacksmiths Bar & Restaurant in London's Rotherhithe Street is one of the famous attractions near Alton Towers.
- This family-run establishment possesses a passion for preparing the finest cuisine in the area, as they take pride in serving traditional pub food prepared with care.
- Everything from hand-battered cod and chips to gourmet hamburgers and the perennial favourite "Brewer's Chicken" is available here.
- Spend quality time with friends and family during brunch by Indulging in a variety of traditional and decadent dishes while enjoying the staff’s warm hospitality.
- Do try one of their classic Sunday roasts with a massive Yorkshire pudding and an unlimited amount of gravy.
Timing: Open Monday to Friday 4 AM – 11 PM, Saturday – Sunday 12 AM – 11 PM
Also Read: Things To Do In Kings Cross
- Dovedale's breathtaking limestone valley is one of Peak District National Park's most beloved scenic areas.
- One of the prime attractions near Alton Towers is Dovedale which is best known for its stunning rock formations, which have been shaped by water, ice, and wind over millennia.
- Dovedale's easy grassy slopes and access paths make it a popular destination for families and picnicking day-trippers.
- Once you arrive in the valley, a pleasant riverside walk is a must and besides crossing the stepping stones.
Recommended Read: Things To Do Near Alton Tower
St Giles Catholic Church
- Designed by A.W.N. Pugin in the nineteenth century, is one of the best churches, and places to visit near Alton Towers.
- If you're a Catholic, you must make a pilgrimage to one of Pugin's finest works, as the 200-feet spire of this Gothic Victorian church can be seen from a distance.
- For a small fee, you can even turn on the building's lights to make photography easier and then explore the area at your own leisure.
Timing: Weekdays open 8:00 AM -16:00 PM, Saturdays: 8 AM to 17.00 PM
Entry Fee: Free entry but £5 for the building's upkeep which is not mandatory
Do Read: Hidden Places In London
St Oswald's Church
- For hundreds of years, Guiseley's St Oswald's Church has served as the town's focal point, and it's one of the most popular attractions near Alton Towers.
- Among the church's many notable features are the magnificent Cokayne chapel and its 13th-century stained glass, and it will be well worth your time.
- If you are an architecture enthusiast, you will love appreciating the slate and roughcaster stone roofs of the church.
Timing: Open Monday to Sunday 07:45 am - 12:15 pm
Know More: Things To Do In Victoria London
- One of the remarkable places to visit near Alton Towers is the privately owned museum of Beamhurst that is open to the public on weekends so that they can take advantage of the collection on display here.
- Over 1000 items related to Uttoxeter are on display, including enamel signs, prams, music boxes, clocks, and bicycles.
- Other items on display include brewery memorabilia, bottles, pumps, pottery, lamps, barrel organ, small carriages, radios, telephone boxes, and petrol globes, besides several others.
- The latest additions to the museum have been Wonderful antique watercolour and oil paintings which are also on display.
Timing: Open Saturday- Sunday 10.00am - 5.00pm
Entry Fee: £2 onwards
Recommended Read: Things To Do In Shoreditch
Ashbourne Recreation Ground & Memorial Gardens
- Ashbourne Memorial Gardens is one of the important places to visit near Alton Towers which honours those who sacrificed their lives in the service of the country.
- The adjacent Memorial Gardens, which include a bandstand that serves as a shelter in the middle of the gardens, are designed to complement the Recreation Ground's role as a hub of activity.
- Look out for the statue of Catherine Booth, the Salvation Army's co-founder who was raised in Ashbourne.
- Fishpond Meadow, which can be reached via two river bridges from both Park Road and Cokayne avenue, provides a lovely contrast to the formal gardens that surround them.
Suggested Read: Things To Do Near London Eye
- Ilam Park, Dovedale, a National Trust estate, located in the Staffordshire Peak District is where you'll find beautiful Italian gardens, riverside strolls, and Ilam Hall.
- Here you can witness the Ilam Hall, a 17th-century gothic manor house, is currently a Youth Hostel and is a popular destination for tourists.
- In the grounds of Ilam Park, you'll find a 13th-century church with a beautiful early English and Norman design.
- An interesting Saxon font and the tomb of St. Bertram await visitors, so if you're in the area, stop by.
- Ilam Park is a great starting point for many walks, including the lengthy Ilam Dovedale circular walk, which includes the well-known Peak District Stepping Stones.
Timing: Open Monday to Sunday 9 AM – 8 PM
Entry Fee: Free admission
Recommended Read: Places In South London