Did you think Goa is all about the beaches? Then you’re in for a major surprise, because from jungle treks to plantation tours, Goa has everything. From Majorda to Amboli, Goa is the biggest surprise package when it comes to tourism. From the immaculate urban township, to the exquisite Portuguese architecture, and wonders like the Light House along with gorgeous churches and famous Aguada Jail, you can see it all. One of the best things to do in Goa includes Go for an ATV ride through Mandrem beach. The all terrain quad bikes are on Goan sands, are all you need to have your fill of beachy adventure. Or go on a castaway cruise to the Grande Island. Swim with the fish and snorkel deep into the crystal clear waters or sail to the isolated island and delight in a delicious barbecue lunch at Hansa Beach.Opt for an amazing excursion from Candolim which will take you through Sinquerim, Calangute and Baga. Once close to the island, the boat will be anchored and you can proceed for a fun-filled swimming and snorkeling adventure in the pristine blue waters.
Spend a day out canoeing along the backwaters of the Zuari River in and explore some of Goa's exotic bird life as well as the exotic Indian Mugger Crocodile at the Cumbarjua canal near Panaji. Visit the spice plantation in Goa and get a chance to explore an abundance of various fruits, spices, herbs and medicinal therapies. You can even buy spices and herbal oils from this spice plant, which you will not find anywhere else. Visit the much talked about Lover’s Paradise, also known as the bay of Dona Paula, which also has a moving history behind it. You can also enjoy an hour- long river cruise on Mandovi, which will take you through the crevices of Old Goa. You also must check out Amboli for the Nangartas WaterFall, Hiranyakeshi Temple, Kavleshet Valley and The Great Amboli Waterfall.. We have selected a list of the best things to do in Goa especially for you, take your pick.
Things to Do in Goa
People Also Ask About Goa Things To Do
What kind of activities I can do in Goa?
Goa is one of the best holiday destinations in India and hence there are a variety of activities to interest you here. Some of these can be listed as follows:
- Water Sports
- Trekking and Hiking
- Local sight seeing
- Local Shopping
- Sunbathing at beaches
- Adventure Sports Activities
- Dolphin Spotting
- Visiting Casinos
What all adventure activities I can do in Goa?
Despite being a small state, Goa has multiple adventure activities to excite you. Some of them are:
- White water rafting in Mandovi river
- Nightlife at Club Cubana and Club LPK
- Snorkelling at Bogmalo Beach
- Adventure trek to Dudhsagar falls
- Dolphin viewing at Mobor beach
- Shopping on the streets of Baga and Calangute
- Scuba Diving at Grande Islands
- Hot Air Balloon rides on Assolda grounds
- Cruising in the Arabian Sea
- Sailing in the secluded beach Palolem
- Kayaking and coracle boat ride in Dandeli
What all water sports I can do in Goa?
You can enjoy the following water sports in Goa-
- Jet Ski rides at famous beaches like Candolim, Baga and Vagator
- Ringo Rides can be best enjoyed at Pindul Cave
- Water Skiing at Mobor beach
- Wakeboarding at Baga Beach
- Windsurfing at Dona Paula
- Scuba diving at Mobor beach
- Kite surfing at Morjim
- Snorkeling at Grand Island and Bogmalo beach
- Water rafting in Mhadei river
- Fishing in Dona Paula
- Winch-boat parasailing at Mobor Beach
- Bumpy banana ride at famous beaches like Baga, Calangute, Anjuna and Vagator
Can a non-swimmer do water activities in Goa?
Yes, a non swimmer can absolutely undertake snorkelling, scuba diving, surfing, sailing or any other water sports activities. None of these water sports require an individual to swim. They work on different principles and the understanding of these factors is necessary. In case of an emergency, a swimmer and a non swimmer are at equal risk The best way to be secured is to adhere to all safety measures and precautions beforehand.
Which is the best time to visit Goa?
The best time to visit Goa is from the months between October to February as this period has many celebrations like Christmas and New Years going on and the state experiences many parades and carnivals. However, this time is also the costliest time to be in Goa as rates of accommodation, transport etc becomes double the price due to an increased demand. On the other hand, the months of June to September are also considered as a great time to visit Goa as well as the state looks like a beautiful painting during the rains. As many tourists avoid rains, this time is when you can incur accommodation, flights and overall expenses at half the price than usual.
What is the ideal duration for a holiday in Goa if I want to do various activities?
The ideal duration for a holiday in Goa is 10 to 15 days. Within this span, an individual will have enough time to undertake all activities like watersports like snorkeling, sailing, jet skiing, scuba diving etc and adventure activities like trekking, hiking, quad biking and many more. You can also cover sightseeing to various places like Aguada fort, Chapora fort, Basilica of Bom Jesus, Dudhsagar Falls and others.
Which are the top attractions for sightseeing in Goa?
Following places can be considered as the best places for sightseeing in Goa. They depict the Goan culture and are great spots for tourists to explore
- Pandava cave complex and Arvalem waterfalls- Well maintained caves to take a break from beaches. Arvalem waterfalls is located closeby.
- Dudhsagar Falls- Closest to the nature
- Ashwem and Arossim Beach- Secluded beaches away from the crowd
- Mollem National Park- Home to several species of wild cats, a wide variety of birds, snakes and butterflies
- Fontainhas - A Portuguese settlement built during the Portuguese reign in Goa
- Calangute beach- Most popular and largest beach in Goa
- Fort Aguada- A well-preserved 17 century Portuguese fort
- Deltin Royale Casino boat- Largest casino boat in Panjim
- Chapora fort- For beautiful views of the Chapora river
- Basilica of Bom Jesus- UNESCO World Heritage site
Is it worth visiting Goa for a honeymoon? What activities can honeymooners do in Goa?
The best way to spend your honeymoon would be by indulging in the following activities:
- A romantic walk on the beach
- Discover the Latin Quarter of Fontainhas
- Visit the location of the tragic love story of Dona Paula de Menezes
- Go for a romantic dinner on cruise
- Go for a couple massage and spa
- Spend the night on a houseboat
- Do some sky-gazing
- Do some crazy adventure activities together
- Dive in the sea together
Is Goa a good holiday destination for a family?
Goa is a destination that has something for everybody. Families can have some of the best time in Goa. You can start by booking a villa, preferably with a pool where the entire family can stay together and take a dip in the pool or water volleyball. As Goa has plenty of stay options, finding one shouldn’t be a problem. Next, you can engage in water sport activities like scuba diving, parasailing and banana rides to tease the one cousin who runs away from it! Next, you can hire cars that again, are easily available to go for some sightseeing tours to places like chapora fort, aguada fort, baga beach, anjuna beach etc. There are enough things to do in Goa that makes it a good holiday destination for a family to make some great memories.
Where can I do Scuba Diving and Snorkelling in Goa and what will be the cost?
Best Scuba Diving and Snorkelling can be enjoyed at Grande Islands. Here, the underwater visibility is brilliant that makes these two activities a once in a lifetime experience. Make sure you undertake the necessary safety measures as instructed by your scuba diving and snorkeling guide or expert. Scuba diving costs approximately INR 3000 for a 30 minute underwater dip while snorkeling costs INR 1500 for a 15 minute underwater dip.
Can I do kayaking in Goa? How much it will cost me? Where can I do it?
Yes, there are a number of locations to choose from for Kayaking in Goa. All these locations are beautiful and make your experience fun filled. Kayaking in Goa usually happens in the backwaters of the Goan rivers and cost you around INR 500 to 700 per head.
Below are some of the best spots for Kayaking in Goa
- Aguada River
- Sylvan Siridao
- Nerul Creek or Spike’s river
- Bat Island
- Mobor beach
- Calangute-Baga stretch
- Vasco da Gama
- Sal backwaters
Which all waterfalls can I see in Goa?
When you talk about waterfalls in Goa, the first name to strike your mind are the beautifully mesmerising Dudhsagar falls. Some of the waterfalls in Goa that are absolutely worth seeing are:
- Dudhsagar Waterfalls
- Netravali Waterfalls
- Harvalem Waterfalls
- Bamanbudo Waterfalls
- Arvalem Falls
- Sada Falls
- Kuskem Falls
- Tambdi Falls
- Kesarval Falls
- Hivre Falls
Which places are best for trekking in Goa?
Goa has some locations full of rugged terrains. These turn out to be great spots for trekkers providing them a fun, thrilling ride full of an adrenaline rush. Some of the famous trekking places in Goa are:
- Mainapi Waterfalls- This is one of the most scenic such sites in the Western Ghats.The the trail here passes through dense forest and goes past gushing streams.
- Dudhsagar Falls- Probably the most visited trekking spot, Dudhsagar falls is mesmerizingly beautiful. As the torrential water falling down the cliff looks like milk, this place is called Dudhsagar.
- Ravan Dongor Peak- Situated at an elevation of around 3000 feet above sea level, this peak is considered to be the third highest peak in Goa. It offers the an amazing view of two wildlife sanctuaries from atop it
Can I do river rafting in Goa? Is it safe?
River rafting in Goa is a thrilling ride. It can be best enjoyed in river Mhadei that stretches across a total of 10 km. This river offers rapids ranging between 2 and 3 which is great for a first timer. The best time to enjoy rafting here is from July to September during monsoon when the river is overflowing with rainwater. Individuals aged 12 or above can participate in this activity which is completely safe if done with all precautions. Make sure you use the correct gear and this activity is safe to participate in.
Can I do a cycling tour of Goa? Which places are good for cycling?
Yes, a cycling tour in Goa is perfectly ideal to explore the state from its interiors. Many travel companies offer such cyling tours that take you through different parts of Goa. However, if you plan to have your private cycling expedition...here’s where you should head:
- Miramar - To cover places like Taleigao Church, St. Cruz Church, Fontainhas Bylanes, Old GMC, Kala Academy, Adil Shah Palace, Panjim Church, and Ferry Point.
- Divar Island - To explore old world charm of ancient dwelling of Old Goa along with the massive Mandovi river.
- Royal Road - To explore Velha along with the quaint village of Batim and then ending at Oratorian Convent, the headquarters of the Blessed Fr Jose Vaz
- Bridges of Bardez - To explore the less traveled streets of Goa starting from O Coqueiro circle at Porvorim and then heading to the villages of Moira, Nachinola and Aldona.
- Chorao - To explore the Goan village of Aldona and historical fort of Corjuem along with Corjuem Church and Ravalnath temple
Which beaches are must visit in Goa?
Here is a list of top beaches in Goa. These are beautiful, well maintained and have attracted tourists for years:
- Kerim Beach - The northernmost beach of Goa that has an Old Portuguese Fort and a 17th century church and is located close to Tiracol fort. It is peaceful and an unexplored beach with a calm shore.
- Arambol - This is considered to be one of the best beaches in Goa as it is well maintained and less explored.
- Mandrem - Mandrem is of the most beautiful beaches of North Goa where you can go for a dolphin spotting ride.
- Morjim - Morjim is one of most secluded beaches in North Goa. Here, you can spot a large variety of birds and Olive Ridley Turtles, hillocks and good food.
- Chapora - The white sand along with black lava rocks plus the Chapora fort overlooking the sea makes a beautiful sight.
- Miramar - Miramar beach is located 3 km south-west of Panaji and is a very popular beach amongst locals as well as tourist.
- Dona Paula - This place has Water Sports, Harbour, Rocky shores and so much more. It is located just 6 km south-west of Panaji.
- Siridao - A paradise for sea shell collectors, this beach has a rocky and sandy beach and it’s most famous attraction is the Chapel of Jesus of Nazareth.
- Colva - This beautiful beach is famous for its romantic evenings, great seafood and the most happening nightlife in South Goa.
- Benaulim - This beach has good food, local markets, and is particularly famous for bullfighting events that take place here.
- Cavelossim Beach - Once you’re here, you can relax on this white sand and black lava rocks and beach shacks eat Goan dishes and Seafood, gin watersports and shop at the local markets. You can also go for dolphin spotting trips here.
Where is Grand Island in Goa? What is special about it?
Grande island is located few kilometers westward from Mormugao peninsula which is situated in South Goa. You can get there only using water transportation. This island is an ideal spot for anybody who is interested in having the best scuba diving, snorkeling, fishing and diving experience. Experienced and professional divers like to dive near the “Davy Jones Locker” sunken ship far away from this island and the sunken British 135-meter vessel “Suzy” which can be found just a few stones' throw away. Moreover, it a picturesque, interesting and breathtakingly beautiful place.
What sort of activities are enjoyable for children in Goa?
Kids can indulge in a number of activities like banana ride, kayaking, and swimming in Goa. Usually, the minimum age required to participate in other adventure activities is 12 years but kids of below age can also have fun in Goa provided necessary safety measures are taken beforehand. You can smartly choose beaches like Palolem and Patnem that have calm and shallow waters that ensure the safety of kids while they undertake any adventure activity.
Where can I do paragliding in Goa? How much is the cost of paragliding?
Arambol should be your ideal choice if you’re wanting to enjoy the activity of paragliding in Goa. The Sweetwater Lake here is a beautiful launching point that makes your ride in the air worth the experience. The endless sky and sea captivate your mind but you are neither touching the sky nor the water, instead you are sailing between the two most beautiful elements. The wonderful view of the mountains and plains capture your eyes and the accompanying long shoreline of the pristine beach mesmerises your soul. The best time for paragliding here is between the time of late September and early June.
Some of the other places for this activity are-
Colva beach and Anjuna beach
This activity costs approximately INR 2000 for a 10 minutes ride.
Can I do canoeing in Goa? Where can I do it? Is it safe?
Canoeing is an activity similar to kayaking that requires you to paddle a light and narrow boat. It is completely safe activity and can be found in the following beaches of Goa.
- Vasco de Gama
Which wildlife sanctuaries are famous in Goa? How much is the cost of safari?
Goa has so much more to offer than just beaches and nightlife. The state has some of the most beautiful wildlife sanctuaries. On your next trip to Goa, you should definitely consider visiting the below wildlife sanctuaries that are famous throughout India.
- Bondla Wildlife Sanctuary
- Location: Ponda region
- Molem Wildlife sanctuary
- Location: Sanguem region
- Cotigao Wildlife Sanctuary
- Location: Canacona Taluka, South Goa
- Mhadei Wildlife Sanctuary
- Location: Sattari Taluka near Valpoi town
- Netravali Wildlife Sanctuary
- Location: Sanguem Taluka of Eastern Goa
What sort of Cruise activities can be done in Goa?
A cruise ride comes with a number of entertainment factors. There are musical, dance performances organised by the company to keep people on board engaged. A variety of food and drinks are served to take care of your hunger needs. Similarly, several games may also be organised for crowd engagement. Other than this, usually cruises have a dance floor where you can drop your hair down and groove to the beats of the DJ. Casino Cruises have casino games that keep people occupied and entertained.
Where can I watch dolphins in Goa?
The Arabian sea in Goa offers a number of water activities. One of them is dolphin spotting. You can get on one of these rides that take you deep into the sea and offer joyful views of dolphins dancing in the water. The best places to spot dolphins in Goa are-
- Palolem beach
- Coco Beach
- Cavelossim Beach
- Sinquerim Beach
- Morjim Beach
Cost Per Person: Rs. 200 approx
Which are the best restaurants of Goa? What cuisines are a must try?
Goa being a tourist destination has a number of eateries, hotels and restaurants. It is very difficult to choose a few amongst so many yummy serving places. When in Goa, you should definitely try out the local Goan food. Don’t miss eating “Chicken Xacuti” which is chicken curry made of coconut. It tastes great and you will love it!
Here are a few best of the best restaurants that serve a variety of Goan cuisine -
- For Best Traditional Goan Restaurant
- Casual- Bhatti Village
- Where: Bhatti Waddo, Nerul, Goa
- Cost for 2: Rs 500
- Fine Dine- Mum’s Kitchen
- Where: 854, Martins Building, Dayanand Bandodkar Street, Panaji
- Cost for 2: Rs 1700
- Hotel Venite
- Where: 31st, January Road, Altinho, Panjim
- Cost for 2: Rs 1000
- For Best Portuguese style Goan Restaurant
- Casual- Viva Panjim
- Where: Bhatti Waddo, Nerul, Goa
- Cost for 2: Rs 800
- Fine Dine- The Beach House
- Where: The Beach House, Calangute
- Cost for 2: Rs 800
- For Best European Dishes
- A Reverie
- Where: Holiday Street, Gauravaddo, Calangute
- Cost for 2: Rd 1000
What sort of nightlife I can experience in Goa?
Goa has a fun filled nightlife. Though it is the smallest state, it has some of the most exciting nightlife options in the country. The dizzy neon lights, great music and delicious food make up your night and create the perfect ambiance. It has an infusion of varieties and has something for everyone to do at night. You can party till your drop, try your luck at the casinos or have a beachside bonfire night. Here’s a glimpse of what you can enjoy at night in Goa-
- Chill at the beach shacks
- Try your luck at the casinos
- Cruising all night
- Party hard in the discos and clubs
- Bars and pubs for the ones who wish to get high!
- Night Flea markets for the shopaholics
- Silent Noise Parties
- Star gazing all night long!
What are drinking, smoking and drug laws in Goa?
Goa is a relaxed destination but there are certain laws you need to follow on your trip to Goa…
- Remember, drugs are illegal!
- Sometimes, drug dealers have a setting with the local police. They sell you drugs and simultaneously report to the police who then get you into a big trouble!
- The legal age for drinking in Goa is 18 years. Make sure you don’t booze if you’re younger than that in order to not land in the juvenile jail.
- Smoking, chewing of tobacco and spitting in public places can land you behind bars in Goa.
Which all places are good for yoga and meditation in Goa?
Surprising to many, Goa is one of the most popular places for a yoga vacation. After your dip in the sea and partying all night, here’s where you can head for some rejuvenation-
- Little Cove Yoga Holiday Retreat
- Location: Aguada beach
- Rates: Start from INR 2200 ($35) per person per day
- Bamboo Yoga Retreat
- Location: Patnem beach
- Rates: Start from INR 1900 ($30) per person per day
- Kranti Yoga Village Beach Resort
- Location: Patnem beach
- Rates: Starts from INR 1500 ($25) per night for one person and INR 2800($45) per night for two people.
Which places are good for shopping in Goa? What must I buy from Goa?
Goa is a hub of tourist destinations and one reason that makes it so is its contribution as a shopping destination. From junk jewellery and gothic accessories to hippie clothing from shell and bamboo work to brassware and terracotta, from cashewnuts and Goan sausages to feni and bebinca to; you will find anything and everything in Goa! All you need to do is...keep those eyes wide open!
- Flea Market Baga And Anjuna
- Chapora Fish Market
- Tibetan Markets
- Mapusa's Friday Market
- Anjuna's Wednesday Flea Market
- Calangute Market Square
- Saturday Night Bazaar at Arpora
How much it will cost me if want to rent a bike in Goa?
Renting a vehicle in Goa is really, really simple and convenient You will find a board in literally every corner of the road end with a contact number on it. The locals here give out their vehicles on rent and the best part is...they don’t even charge a deposit.
The cost of a two wheeler scooty will be INR 200 to 300 while a bike will cost you INR 350 to 500. A four wheeler car should cost you anywhere between INR 1000 to 2000 per day.
Can we go for spice plantation tour in Goa? What is so special about spice plantation in Goa?
India is often referred to as “the land of spices” and Goa proudly contributes to this title. A spice plantation tour in Goa lets you appreciate our country in its natural habitat. It is the perfect way to educate ourselves, know the eco-friendly life and have some fun at the same time! The speciality about spice plantations in Goa is that sme of them are exclusively grown in Goa. You can be a part of this habitat and understand how these spices are grown and processed. Such tours let you discover Indian hospitality and give you the taste of Indian agriculture.
Which is the best time to enjoy festivals and carnivals in Goa? Which are some famous festivals in Goa?
The best time to enjoy festivals and carnivals in Goa is from the month of October till the month of February. These months see many celebrations...right from Christmas to New Year’s, famous international music festivals to local parades. The yearly carnival of Goa is also held around the month of February. So if you want to be a part of Goa festivals, carnivals and parades...you should be here in these months.
- South Goa
- North Goa
- North Goa
- South Goa
Chapora Fort, located at the northern side of Goa, is famously called Dil Chahta Hai Fort. You can relive those moments by visiting it yourself. This fort overlooks the Chapora river and and is only 700 meters away from Vagator Beach. So, whenever you are nearby, try and manage your time to enjoy both of these tourist attractions.This fort earlier had rough patches that made it difficult to hike. However, now proper trails and roads are laid down for travellers like you. Vendors also stream alongside these carpeted roads, selling their offerings to satisfy your mid-day hunger for food, juices, and water. Trekking to the slanting height of Chapora Fort becomes easy with the availability of these things and it also ensures that you do not fall sick. Upon reaching the hilltop, you will witness the wider expanse of the fort brimmed with youngsters or the newlywed couples wanting to explore an adventurous time on their honeymoon. But there are few things that make the place inappropriate for elderly people like the rocky steps and the imperfect staircase.Many photographers, models, and actors come here for professional and personal shoots with their cameras and drones. You can also bring your camera or drone for regular photoshoots and make memories with your best friends or spouse. The view of the mesmerizing sunset along with the orange and white skyline make the spot perfect for photography.
This place gives a new dimension to the dining style, which is a combination of beach, exotic cuisine, and serene aura. This deadly combination can be experienced at the Johnny Cool Beach Bar which lies on the Dover Beach, famed as one of the most alluring beaches of Goa.Here, one can savor mind-blowing Caribbean delicacies with excellent ambiance accompanied by soft jazz music to make every part of your body move on the soothing beats. It is one of the most visited tourist places in South Goa with an unbelievable quality of service.Apart from these, one can even enjoy varieties of cocktails, beer and other liquors along the beachside bar. It is undoubtedly the best place to explore in southern Goa and enjoy meals in the relaxing environment coupled with striking sandy beaches.Location: Dover Beach, Below Dover Playing Field, Dover, Barbados.
Lying on the shores of a quaint coastal village in Goa, Colva beach is a truly magnificent vacation spot for all tourists. It stretches for an impressive 2.4 km and features striking white sand, turquoise waves, and towering coconut palms. Tourists from around the world frequent the Colva beach for sights of stunning sunsets and remarkable blue waves. As you tread the beach, you will witness quirky huts and hotels all along the shores. The Portuguese influence on this area has been significant since the 1600s when the wealthy British and Portuguese considered Colva Beach as a prime vacation spot. You will also find numerous beach shacks, hotels, and small shops on the beach along with several ruins of ancient Portuguese villas and houses. You can take on a host of water and beach sports on the Colva beach while basking under the sun and enjoying the pleasant sea breeze. The Colva Church, also called Igreja de Nossa Senhora das Mercês, lends religious significance to the beach.