- Picton is one of the top haunted places in Australia, known for its grim and dark past.
- It is a small historic town that houses the famous Redbank Range Railway Tunnel that is haunted by its past.
- During World War II, the tunnel became the storage house for ammunition and weapons, and later, it was used to produce mushrooms.
- In 1916 a woman named Emily Bollard was walking through the Tunnel when she was hit by a train.
- The ghost of Emily Bollard is said to linger in the tunnel, and you can even see shadows moving around the walls.
You May Also Like: Best Hiking Destinations in Australia
Aradale Lunatic Asylum
- Get into the spooky spirit as you visit Aradale Lunatic Asylum, a psychiatric hospital near Ararat.
- It is estimated that at least thirteen thousand people died at this asylum during its one hundred and thirty years of operation.
- You can see many ghosts roaming the halls of this abandoned hospital, including Nurse Kerry, who haunts the women's wards.
- At the former men's wings, people have even been scratched, bitten, and pushed.
- So beware as you visit this asylum, as you might feel dizzy and encounter phantom smells, apparitions, and strange noises.
Suggested Read: Best Zoos in Australia
Book Now: Sydney Tower Buffet
Monte Cristo Homestead
- Monte Cristo Homestead is one of the most haunted places in Australia, haunted by up to ten troubled souls.
- It is a two-story Victorian manor and the former home of the Crawley family riddled with deaths.
- It is believed that a baby was tossed down the stairs, a caregiver was shot, and two maids were killed here.
- The present owners of the house provide candlelight tours of the Crawleys' mansion.
- Visitors to the homestead have heard unhappy spirits weeping, and they have even reported that they were pushed out of the rooms.
- If you're looking to have the most horrifying experience of your life, then you must visit Port Arthur. It is one of the most popular haunted places in Australia, where you can hear the disembodied laughter of children and see a mysterious woman in blue.
- Port Arthur served as a jail from 1830 until 1877, and around 12,500 convicts were held here.
- It is estimated that over a thousand people died during the mass shooting in 1996 at Port Arthur and their souls never rested in peace.
- You can experience strange light anomalies and hear disembodied footsteps over here.
Location: Arthur Highway. Port Arthur, Tasmania 7182. Australia
Also Checkout and Book Now: Whale Watching Cruise Sydney
Fremantle Arts Centre
- Fremantle Arts Centre is the most haunted place in South Australia, known for its dark and tumultuous history.
- The arts center was earlier an asylum where three girls were abused, contracted diseases, and were imprisoned during the 1930s.
- One middle-aged lady committed suicide after her child was forcefully taken from her, and since then, this place has been haunted by ghosts.
- Sounds of laughter, crying, and yelling are quite common at this art center.
Location: Finnerty Street. Fremantle. Australia
- Princess Theatre is one of the haunted places in Australia that will curdle your blood with its paranormal activities and creepy stories.
- The theatre hosts some of the most entertaining shows in the country.
- It is also the place where actor Frederick Federici died due to a heart attack, and audiences often see his ghost nodding at the end of the performance.
- The theatre still reserves a seat for Frederick Federici's ghost during the opening of every show.
Also Checkout: Most Amazing Things to Do in Melbourne This Weekend
Book Now: Legoland Melbourne Tickets
National Film and Sound Archive
- End your search for one of the most haunted places in Australia with the National Film and Sound Archive.
- It served as an anatomical institute for over fifty years and housed human skeletons, artifacts, and animal specimens, including Ned Kelly's skull, Phar Lap's heart, and a mummy from Papua New Guinea.
- If you visit this place, you can see objects moving on their own and hear weird sounds coming from the recording rooms.
- The downstairs area reports the highest levels of paranormal activity as a stash of human skulls have been stored here.
- Devil's Pool is one of the most popular haunted places in Australia with an extremely terrifying tale.
- It is a beautiful waterhole where several young men have drowned since 1959 and lost their lives.
- According to Aboriginal folklore, a young bride fell to her death at this pool, and now she is said to be behind the death of the men who come here.
- Many people believe that the woman's spirit still resides here, and you can even hear her lamenting and crying.
Explore More: Most Unusual Places in Australia
Checkout and Book: Icebar Melbourne
St John's Orphanage
- Test your bravery by visiting St John's Orphanage, one of the most haunted places in Australia.
- The orphanage was operational from 1913 to 1978, and more than two thousand five hundred orphans died during this time.
- These orphans were neglected and abused by the strict nuns, and a few of them died due to brutal policies and strict treatment.
- The building is now damaged and vandalized and lurked by the ghosts of these children.
- Strange ambient noises and the deadly appearance of ghosts have been reported here.
Learn More: Beautiful Monuments in Australia
Blundell's Cottage, Canberra, ACT
- Get ready for a spooky gateway by visiting Blundell's Cottage, one of the most haunted places in Australia.
- It is a small brick construction that reflects the history of white settlement.
- In 1892, a young girl named Flora Susanna Blundell was burnt to death over here, and her ghost still lurks in the cottage.
- Visitors have reported objects mysteriously moving from one place to another, an unexplained feeling of someone watching them, and the smell of burning human flesh.
You May Also Like: Stunning Waterfalls in Australia
Book Now: Eureka Skydeck