About Kihim Beach
Brimming with lush coconut trees, green leaves, and wildflowers, Kihim Beach is one of the most alluring tourist destinations in Maharashtra. Situated in the Kihim village of the district of Alibaug, the beach is known for its exquisite beauty, extraordinary backdrops and pollution-free atmosphere. The beach is covered with a pristine blanket of white sands dotted with unique and colourful seashells.
The beach is immaculate, and the waters are perfectly safe, which attracts hundreds of tourists towards it every year.Along with having the charisma and charm of a sandy white grounds, the beach is replete with greenery. Insects like wild butterflies and bees come to visit the wildflowers that surround the beach. Even birds revel in the relaxed atmosphere of Kihim as a variety of migratory and native birds are sighted during different seasons.
Kihim Beach in recent years has become a very commercially successful junction. Its nearness to the commercial capital of India, Mumbai helps this cause. There are numerous attractions as well as food joints in and around Kihim Beach. Places like the famous Kolaba Fort, Akshi seashore and several religious temples surrounding the beach are incredibly tempting to the tourists.
One can sufficiently indulge all of one's senses while visiting this beautiful site. The picturesque scenery, the sound of bustling sea waves, the silent breeze on the skin and the delicious, aromatic dishes from the food joints titillates all the sense organs. The subtropical climate of Kihim makes the beach all the more alluring during the summer and spring season. Kihim Beach offers something for every age group and is the perfect destination to come to with your family, friends or a partner.
How to Reach Kihim Beach
The Kihim Beach can be reached by a number of ways.
1. By Air: The closest airport to Kihim Beach is Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport. It is at a distance of about 100 km from the beach and receives flights from all over the country and even abroad.
2. By Boat: One of the most convenient and enjoyable ways to reach Kihim is by taking a ferry to Mandwa Jetty from ferry stations at the Gateway of India located in South Mumbai. Mandwa Jetty is about 11 km away from the Kihim Beach. It takes only one hour to reach the destination by ferry and about 20 minutes by speedboat.
3. By Bus: Kihim is around10 km from Alibaug bus stop. One can take buses from here to the beach. Several state transport buses (MSRTC) arrive at ALibaug at regular intervals from important cities of Maharashtra like Pune and Mumbai. From Alibaug bus station, Kihim can be reached by auto-rickshaws, cabs or city buses.
4. By Car: Several online and telephonic cab services are available in Maharashtra that can take you to the Kihim beach. Cars are the safest and most convenient alternative to commute in the region. There are also direct intercity cab services available in Maharashtra that facilitate the journey from Mumbai to Alibaug and Pune to Alibaug. These services are sometimes a part of tourist packages, but mostly you can get independent car rides as well.
Best Time to Visit Kihim Beach
Kihim Beach offers different kinds of natural bounties in different seasons. The climate of Kihim is subtropical with heavy rains during the monsoons that comes with several attractions.
1. Summer: The best time to visit Kihim Beach is from November to July. This means that the beach is at its best from the mid of the winters and all through the summers. The scenic beauty of the beach is realised to a new level during the flowering season. Migratory birds visit the region during the summers in search of warmth and habitat while insects, especially butterflies flutter around the blooming wildflowers. The brimming waters of the sea evaporate into the air making the atmosphere cool and refreshing while the sun shines brightly giving the whole place a lively vibe.
2. Monsoons: Kihim has much to offer even during the monsoons when. Monsoons come with heavy rains that feed the flora of the city and leaves the lands lush with dense coconut trees and fragrant bushes of native flowers. The monsoon lasts from August to October in Kihim and is an ideal destination to visit if you are a nature enthusiast.
3. Winters: Winters in Kihim beach last from November to February. The climate remains moderate during this time but the atmosphere at the beach is generally cold. Winters is not the most advisable season to visit Kihim.
Best time to visit the beach during the day is early in the morning and late in the evening. The mornings on the beach are cool, inviting and fresh while the evenings stretch calm, beautiful and warm. It is not advisable to visit the beach during noon as the sun is right overhead and beats down on energy.
What Not to Miss at Kihim Beach
Places to Visit near Kihim Beach
1. Kolaba Fort: Around 12 km away from Kihim Beach, Kolaba fort is an old military building situated in the Arabian sea. Standing proudly at the shores of Alibaug, the fort is a popular tourist destination in the Konkan region of Maharashtra. Laden with massive historical significance, the fort is a shrine to the bravery of Shivaji Maharaj and Peshwa Balaji Vishwanath. The fort stands 25 feet strong since the 17th Century and is known for its subtle architecture and historical value.
2. Akshi Sea Shore: A serene beach in the heart of Alibaug, Akshi Seashore is located at a distance of about 17 km from Kihim Beach. The beach has sparse water but boasts of a heavenly atmosphere. This beach is much less cramped than the other beaches in Alibaug and is thus the perfect destination for a family outing or a romantic getaway.
3. Kanakeshwar Devasthan Temple: This beautiful temple dedicated to Lord Shiva, the supremely revered deity of the Hindus. It is located at a distance of around 8 km from the Kihim Beach.Known for the two fierce lion figurines guarding its entrance, the temple is visited by hundreds of followers every day.
4. Varsoli Beach: Another attractive beach in Alibaug is Varsoli Beach. Stationed at a distance of about 11 km from Kihim Beach, the Varsoli beach is home to numerous beautiful beach resorts and family cottages. Stretching for about 3 km, the beach boasts of hosting many water sport activities including banana boating, parasailing, jet-skiing, etc.
5. Shri Ballaleshwar Ashtavinayak Temple: One of the eight temples that complete the Ashtavinayak pilgrimage, Shri Ballaleshwar Ashtavinayak Temple is a place of worship dedicated to the Hindu deity Lord Ganesh. Known for its high religious regard within the Hindu community, the temple showcases very subtle and traditional architecture.
6. Kanakeshwar Forest: Located at a distance of about 8 km from the Kihim Beach, the Kanakeshwar forest sanctuary is a haven for a number of plant and animal species. The forest is lush green and is the perfect spot for family picnics and excursions.
Activities to do in Kihim Beach
1. Sunbathing: Bask in the crisp light of the Maharashtrian sun as a gentle breeze flows through the beach cooling your body. Absorb all the goodness of the sun while your body gets that golden tan.
2. Paragliding: Paragliding is an energetic, adrenaline-inducing sport. Kihim beach offers this fantastic sport as water activity. Blaze through the warm air of Alibaug and fly free like a bird.
3. Swimming: The modest and calm waters of the Arabian sea attached to the safe banks of Kahim are ideal for swimming.
4. Motorboating: Glide through the waves with superhuman speed as the ocean water refreshingly drizzles against your face.
5. Night Camping: Kihim beach is an excellent spot for night camping. Sleep under the serene, smiling moon of the Kihim sky as you exchange life stories with your companions.
6. Bike Riding: The cool air of the beach, coupled with the clear weather and scenic beauty make it an ideal destination to enjoy a bike ride.
7. Photography: The bright blue ocean climbing up and down the white sands of the beach makes the view very picturesque and photogenic.
Other Essential Information About Kihim Beach
- Location: The Kihim Beach is located Alibaug, Raigad 402201, India.
- Timings: The beach is open to visitors 24x7 all days of the week.
- Distance from Alibaug city centre: The Alibaug City Centre is at a distance of around 11.2 km from Kihim Beach
Places to Eat in and near Kihim Beach
1. Sagar Darshan Hotel: Located at Somnath Mandir Road, Sagar Darshan Hotel is a simple, comfortable and charming guest house cum restaurant. It serves delicious food of various cuisines ranging from local to international. Along with pristine and clean interiors, the restaurant gives a beautiful view of the ocean. The hotel provides free parking and is an excellent place to satisfy your hunger needs.
2. Bohemyan Blue: Located at Alibaug Mandwa main road, Bohemyan Blue is a Lebanese Mediterranean cafe known for its impressive quality and quantity of food. Its interiors reflect the Bohemian beach vibe with a unique decoration of plants and patio furniture.
3. Kokum & Spice: Situated at Radisson Blu in Alibaug, Kokum & Spice is an Indian Seafood restaurant known for its flavoured dishes and fast service. The restaurant is decorated with charming interiors and comfortable furniture. The restaurant is famous for its scrumptious non-vegetarian dishes but is exceptionally vegetarian-friendly with a diverse menu.
Sightseeing at Kihim Beach
Kihim Beach is known for its unbelievably beautiful views of the Arabian Sea set against the backdrop of clear skies.
1. The white sands of the beach reflect the angelic beauty of iridescent clouds overhead. The beach is dotted with distinct seashells of various colours, shapes and structures.
2. Sunrise and sunsets look beautiful from the beach. The sun rises and sets with grace and elegance with a thousand shades of red and orange scattering from its core.
3. Nights are excellent for sightseeing in Kihim beach as well. On full moon nights, the moon glows against a dark sky with the scattering of beautiful stars.
Traveller's Tips before visiting Kihim Beach
1. Do not forget to wear sunscreen and protective lotion while on the beach to stop your skin from rashes and sunburns. Apply sunscreen as frequently as possible.
2. Stay hydrated at all times. Beach activities, primarily water sports, use up a lot of energy from the body. Drink water as often as you can.
3. Wear light clothing so that you can fully enjoy yourself at the beach.
4. Carry sunglasses in case the weather gets sunny.
5. Carry a mini first-aid kit equipped with disinfectants and band-aids. Insect bites and stone cuts are not unheard of in beaches.
6. Carry a bag for your expendables with you to avoid littering as it is heavily looked down upon at the beach.
7. Protect your feet against burning sands and insects by wearing beach footwear.
8. Make sure you are under the supervision of trained lifeguards before undertaking any water sport.
9. Self-check your harness and protective gear before undertaking any water sport.