Best Camping Places in India
Rishikesh, Jaisalmer, Kanatal, Kasol, Lonavala, Alibaug, Nainital, Manali, Spiti Valley, Solang Valley, Ladakh, Mussoorie, Wayanad, Chikmagalur, and many more places.
Whether you are a mountain lover or a wildlife enthusiast or an adventure buff, camping in India is always a fulfilling experience for the myriad of things to see and do. From the arid desert of Rajasthan to abundant greenery in Chikmagalur or the hoary mountains of Kasol and Mussoorie, India is blessed with a plethora of camping destinations that invite tourists from all over the world.
Each region has its own distinct feature to unveil and explore with one thing in common- the warmth and hospitality of the locals. Of all the stay options available, camping is the best way to connect with nature and the people of a region. While camping under the blanket of stars on a wintry night is a dream for many, some look forward to spending a few days amidst dense jungle to experience the raw thrill of camping.
One of the most coveted camping places in India, Tso Morir lake which remains frozen most of the months in a year and amazes you with its sacred charm. Adventure lovers can include Chikmagalur or Kanatal in their bucket list where you will be spoilt for choices of adventure activities. Above all, the camping experience is diverse in India and you should try at least once.
People Also Ask About Camping in India
Which are the best camping places in India?
1.Rishikesh: With awe-inspiring mountain terrain Rishikesh allures adventure lovers with a wide range of activities to challenge your strength. Unpolluted environment, abundance of flora, and spellbinding tranquillity make Rishikesh a perfect destination for camping in India.
After spending a whole day in thrilling activities, spend the evening sitting around a bonfire under the star-studded sky and gaze at the surreal night view of the landscape at a distance. With an abundance of choices camping in the adventure capital of India will certainly be a rewarding experience for you.
Best Time: March-November
2.Jaisalmer: The best way to experience the magnificence of a barren desert at night is to stay in a camp amidst the rolling sand dunes of Jaisalmer far from the chaos of city life. As you stay in a luxurious camp you will feel like a Maharaja of the bygone times. The desert camps located near the Sam Sand and Khuri Sand dunes are some of the best camping places in India that offer impressive views of the desert at night.
The customized tents are well furnished with traditional furniture and amenities to make your stay comfortable. If you are ready to spend a few bucks, opt for luxurious camping packages that include gypsy dance and music shows by local artists. Ride on a camel safari which takes you along the desert and allows you to know about the lifestyle of the locals.
Best Time: November- March
3.Kanatal: For those looking for a lifetime experience of camping in India, Kanatal has to be in your bucket list. The overwhelming tranquillity of the hills, with changing colors of the sun rays during the daytime makes Kanatal a must-visit place for adventure lovers. Staying in a tent allows you the bonus of spectacular mountain views to sleep in, enjoy a good time with fellow campers around a bonfire and admire the mystic charm of the surroundings at sundown.
It is also an ideal destination for honeymooners and all friends' excursions. In a nutshell, if you want to experience sublimity in its purest form and get a taste of the hills of North India, Kanatal must be your next camping destination.
Best Time: March- June
4.Kasol: The idyllic hamlet in Kullu is one of the best camping places in India which calls for embracing the thrill of activities, camping by a gushing river, soaking up nature's serenity and making a lifetime of memories. Kaosl is a favourite weekend destination for people living in Delhi and its suburbs who want to soothe their souls in the lap of nature. There are some amazing riverside campsites in Kasol that serve as basecamps for some popular trekking expeditions.
Best Time: March-May, October- June
5.Lonavala: It is one of the most popular destinations for camping in India which attracts hosts of tourists during the peak season from across the world. Whether a family trip or solo travel, the iconic hill station of Maharashtra is a favourite for adventure and nature enthusiasts for its stunning landscapes nestled amidst the Western Ghats. The vast expenses of the flora allow you to satiate your quest for adventure and soak in the mystic vibe of the place.
Some of the thrilling attractions that should not be missed in your expedition include caving, waterfall rappelling, trekking and paragliding. Popularly known as the ‘Jewel of Sahyadri', Lonavala attracts a large number of travel junkies round the year who look for an opportunity to camp under the starlit sky and escape into the surreal world of peace and tranquillity for some days.
Best Time: October- May
6.Alibaug: Looking for a place for camping in India which allows you to spend a few days close to nature and appreciate its varied facades in your own way? Head no further than Alibaug, which is blessed with a beautiful coastline perfect for fulfilling beachside camping. Amazing views of sunrise and sunset over the Arabian Sea and spending quality time in a secluded gateway are the bonus of choosing Alibaug as a camping place in India.
The campsite is located about 14 Km from downtown Alibaug and 39 Km from Mandwa Jetty point. Sitting inside your cosy tent you can feast your eyes on the spectacular beach view of the Arabian Sea.
Best Time: November- February, February- July
7.Nainital: Nainital, the Queen of Hills is one of the most visited camping places in India which offers you rich experience of sightseeing along with a wide range of activities for adventure junkies. The camps provided to the guests are well equipped with luxury amenities to make your stay comfortable and sophisticated in the lap of unending greenery all around.
Camping in Nainital promises you of an unforgettable holiday experience far from the chaos of city life along with an opportunity to take a refreshing dip in the Subhash Dhara waterfall and enjoy a trek in the lofty Himalayan range.
Best Time: March- June
8.Manali: Himachal has been a pet camping destination for adventure and nature lovers since time immemorial but camping at Manali is a dream come true for most campers. The postcard-perfect hill station with rolling meadows, seamless forests of Rhododendrons, gushing waterfalls and some of the best camping places in India invite travellers from all parts of the globe to camp at Manali.
There are varied camping options that include trekking camps, riverside camps, jungle camps and many more to choose according to your preference. Some of the most popular camping sites in Manali are Solang valley, Tirthan Valley, Bhuntar and Biji Mahadev where you can enjoy the wilderness of nature and spend your vacation in the lap of unspoiled nature.
Best Time: March- June
9.Spiti Valley: Tucked away in the majestic cold desert valley of Himachal Pradesh, Spiti Valley is the bliss of heaven for nature and adventure lovers. Bordered by some of the coldest regions of the world on all sides, the barren land has a surreal charm of its own which attracts travelers looking for raw adventure and yearning to spend their time in spiritual solace.
The changing hues of the mountains at every second, spine chilling passes, the sight of rare species of animals, and an overwhelming tranquillity all over make this place unique and paradisiacal in all respects. If you want to immerse in the raw beauty of nature, set a tent under the clear blue sky and spend some days in this slice of heaven.
Best Time: March- June
10.Solang Valley: The scenic gateway town of Himachal Pradesh which is home to numerous wonders is one of the most popular places for camping in India. Famed as the most adventurous valley of the country dotted with the best ski resorts and paragliding destinations, Solang Valley has won the hearts of hard-core adventurers crossing the boundaries.
Camping at Solang offers unbound adventure and the luxury of staying in comfortable tents in the lap of nature. Apart from the bonfire, you can also enjoy adventure activities such as zip line, hiking, zorbing, river crossing, and many more.
Best Time: Round the year except for July-September (monsoon months)
11.Ladakh: Located in the extreme north of the mainland of India, Ladakh is the dream destination of every wanderlust soul who wants to leave their footprints on its arid, barren soil which remains covered under snow for most of the time in a year. But once visited, do not come back without setting a tent and spending a day or two in Ladakh.
Camping in Leh Ladakh is one of the favorite activities for adventure junkies who want to witness a myriad of colors in nature along with guided tours and activities that challenge their guts. Some of the popular places for camping in Ladakh are Pangong Lake, Tso Moriri, Nubra Valley, and many more.
Best Time: May- September
12.Mussoorie: If you want to spend your honeymoon, Mussoorie has to be on your bucket list which abounds with natural beauty and a plethora of adventure activities. The picture-perfect hill station of Uttarakhand unfolds its own charm by taking on different shades of colors at different times of the year.
Camping in Mussoorie allows you to sink into experiential joy and learn to survive amidst natural surroundings, meet new people, behold stunning sunrises and sunsets and make some of the best memories of life. For your dose of adventure and pleasure, you can add trekking, rock climbing, valley crossing, hiking, paragliding, safari, and boating in your tour package.
Best Time: April-May, September- November
13.Wayanad: Located in the midst of seamless greenery, Wayanad offers some of the most picturesque places for camping in India. The idyllic hill station of Kerala allows you to experience bounties of nature and indulge in a dream-like escapade. You can add a campfire, zipline, rope walk, and other adventure activities while camping in Wayanad.
Gurgling streams, impenetrable rain forests, chirping of birds, mouth-watering Malayali cuisines, and cool sea breeze make the place a haven for holidaymakers. Spend the whole day trekking in the hills, enjoy night camp sitting around a bonfire, and enjoying a barbecue.
Best Time: October- May
14.Chikmagalur: Indulge in a captivating experience of camping in Chikmagalur, an idyllic gateway for nature lovers. Tucked away amidst seamless greenery, the place offers a plethora of scenic views during your camping expedition. The most popular camping sites include Japavathi River Camp, Bhadra Nature Camp, Ranger Camp and Bhagavathi Nature Camp where you can get to participate in adrenaline-charged activities such as trekking, coracle rides, bonfire, and nature walks. To get your dose of thrill and pleasure along with warm hospitality and comfy amenities, camping in Chikmagalur will let you forget your worries for a while.
Best Time: September- February
15.Jodhpur: If you want to witness the mystic desert culture of Rajasthan, camping in Jodhpur can be a truly rewarding experience for you. From budget-friendly campsites to luxurious ones, you can select your best pick from the wide range of options available.
Camping in Jodhpur allows you to witness stunning sunset views, enjoy local delicacies, stay amidst dunes and see various cultural shows performed by local artists. After spending a whole day in camel or jeep safari and exploring rural areas of Rajasthan, relax and refresh yourself by sipping in some cocktails or munching in sumptuous appetizers by a bonfire. For those looking for a luxurious experience of camping in India, Jodhpur has to be in your bucket list.
Best Time: April- October, November-March
Which are the famous beachside camping places in India?
1. Revdanda: A secluded getaway near Alibaug with amazing sunrise and sunset views and a soul-soothing atmosphere make this place a favourite for solitude seekers. Guests can spend their leisure watching open-air Bollywood movie screenings or enjoy bonfires with delectable barbecue as a part of their camping package.
2. Gokarna: This is an amazing destination known for its magnificent beaches and the best way to enjoy the beauty of it is by camping on the beach. Relax on the soft sands, take in the cool breeze, and dance around the bonfire while camping here.
3. Mantra Beach: The clear and pristine Mantra Beach in Karnataka offers you an unforgettable experience of camping in India. The most unique feature of the beach is it has no road access and hence retains its pristine charm. Sit around the bonfire with sumptuous barbeque and listen to the gurgling sea waves lashing on the shore.
4. Anjarle Beach- Anjarle Beach in Ratnagiri is one of the prime destinations for camping in India. Seamless coconut groves, turquoise waters and the shimmering coastline is an ideal camping site for adventure lovers. If you carry your camping equipment, take a dip in the ocean at sunrise.
Which are the best places for jungle camping in India?
1. Jim Corbett National Park: Rich in flora and fauna and being home to more than a hundred different species of animals and reptiles, this place is the perfect place to opt for jungle camping. From camps along the river stream to the ones nestled in the wilderness, you can choose from an array of options.
2. Tadoba National Park: Famous due to its tiger reserve, Tadoba National Park will let you choose from a wild array of camps ranging from luxury to basic. Not only can you camp here, but you can also go for safaris into the dark woods.
3. Kaziranga National Park: Being a protected area, Kaziranga National Park is home to various species of endangered reptiles as well as birds. Camping here will provide you with a chance to get close to nature while taking full advantage of modern-day facilities.
4. Sariska Tiger Reserve: Taking care of your safety, camping sessions in Sariska Tiger Reserve usually take place at its boundaries. From rare birds to various different species of animals, you can spot various different wildlife species here.
5. Pench National Park: One of the best camping places in India, Pench National Park was the place which inspired the famous “Jungle Book”. From luxury to affordable, a wide variety of camps are available here to give you a taste of unadulterated nature.
Which are the best places for camping in Uttarakhand?
1. Shivpuri: Located about 16 km from Rishikesh, Shivpuri is a hub of outdoor camping on the bank of River Ganda. After a whole day of adventure activities unwind your cares around a campfire under the star-studded sky.
2. Nainital: Nainital is not only a honeymooner’s destination but one of the best camping places in India. Adventure seekers from all parts of the globe visit the place who want to soak in the tranquil ambiance of nature and participate in adventure activities.
3. Corbett: Corbett National Park is one of the most sought-after camping sites for hardcore wildlife buffs. You can opt for luxurious safari-style tents or basic cottage camps inside the reserve and enjoy wildlife sightings.
4. Kanatal: When it comes to outdoor camping, Kanatal has to be on your bucket list. Located at an altitude of 2590 m above the sea level, you can view nature at its pristine best from inside your camp.
5. Pangot: Far from the hustle and bustle of a city, the betel leaf-shaped settlement in Uttarakhand is a perfect haven for bird watchers. During your outdoor camping, you can even spot sambhar, barking deer, and ghoral in their natural habitat.
Which are the best places for desert camping in Rajasthan?
1. Osian: Owing to the vast stretches of the golden sand dunes, Osian is one of the best places to enjoy desert camping in Rajasthan. Sitting in the outskirts of Jodhpur, here you can explore numerous sand dunes on a camel's back and watch stunning sunsets while resting in your cozy camps.
2. Sam Sand Dunes: Letting you experience the thrill, warmth, and dramatic winds of the Thar Desert, Sam Sand Dunes is a very popular destination for desert camping in India. With vast stretches of sand and numerous luxury camps, this place ensures that one experiences the best session of camping.
3. Khuri Sand Dunes: For a true desert camping experience, Khuri Sand Dunes is the best place to fulfill your dream. Located in the golden city of Jaisalmer, you will be amazed to witness its wildlife, landscape, and the vast yellow expanse of the Thar Desert straight from your tent.
4. Dechu Village: Sitting on the outskirts of Jodhpur, Dechu is a small village housing a wide variety of camping options. From budget-friendly to luxurious, a wide variety of camps are available here to provide you a taste of royal Rajasthani hospitality in the middle of a desert.
Which are the best camping places in Himachal?
1. Kasol: Kasol is one of the best camping places in India which calls for an unmatched camping experience with an abundance of music, bonfire and outdoor games for thrill-seekers. You can also spend happy hours just sitting inside your camp and gazing at the star-studded sky.
2. Dharamshala: Located amidst the unspoiled wilderness and woodlands the eco-friendly campsites of Dharamshala are laced with luxury amenities for a warm and cozy stay. Whether you want to wake up to the sounds of nature or enjoy a bonfire or indulge in adventure activities, camping in Dharamshala offers you a feeling of living in nature.
3. Shimla: With unbound greenery bordered by snow-capped mountains, camping in Shimla promises you a lifetime experience. Personalized service with a chance to experience raw adventure attracts campers from all over the world to set up tents in the heart of nature.
4. Malana: Nestled in the midst of green-clad Himalayas and embraced by a rejuvenating atmosphere, Malana is a hidden gem for camping in India. Do not miss a chance to witness a stunning sunrise from your camp and trust us it is a sight to behold!
5. Bir Billing: Located on the verdant mountainside of the Himalayas, the campsites at Bir Billing offer you a chance to experience paragliding at the world's second-best site. You can also indulge in bonfires, guided nature walks, and in-house board games.
Built in 1974, Kabini Dam situated in Mysore, is constructed on its namesake river, River Kabini, which is a tributary of the River Kaveri. The dam is considered an engineering marvel of South West India, which is why it tops the list of places to visit in Kabini. The dam’s vast reservoir is a significant source of water for at least 20 villages in the state of Karnataka. The picturesque surroundings lined with trees and crystal clear waters flowing gently, make this reservoir ideal picnic spot with friends and family. You’re also sure to spot vibrant flora, birds fluttering around, and animals walking in the forests beyond as you immerse yourself in a memorable experience!Price: FreeTimings: 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM
If you are looking for some thrills in Alwar, visiting its “most haunted place” is the best way to fulfil the desire. Bhangarh Fort, on the border of the Sariska Tiger Reserve, has long held its spooky reputation. Though it is a well-preserved fort, the ‘supernatural’ occurrences that seem to occur within its premises tend to ward off many people. If you are eager to explore Alwar in all its facets, haunted and otherwise, a visit to this fort is a must. Do it while the light lasts, since ghosts are said to hang out here at night. Though spooky, Bhangarh Fort is one of the best places to visit in Alwar for some unique memories. Timings: 6 am to 6 pmLocation: Gola ka baas, Rajgarh Tehsil, Alwar, Bhangarh, Rajasthan 301410
Heaven is found simply off the bank of terrain Karnataka – and it is called Gokarna Beach. One of the concealed pearls of India, the seashore is known for the wide extended white sand and peaceful waters. This is an ideal family get-away setting, which brags beachside picnics and water sports, is likewise home to comfortable shacks and radiant rental cottages.With so much to see and do, it is going to be really hard to lie idle on Gokarna beach. Hit the beach with buckets and shovels to build that perfect sand-castle of your dreams. Or, stroll the beach in the evening to soak in the majestic view of Arabian sea. Likewise, this is an extraordinary spot to spread out the family's seashore cover and love the ideal opportunity for the afternoon. Remember to swing by the exciting water sports accessible at Gokarna beach. With remote beach escapes, family-accommodating shores, and ideal for sand-château building, Gokarna beach guarantees fun frolic to every style of the guest. Peruse through the subtleties and activities about the Gokarna beach!