1. Nilgiri Mountain Railway Toy Train Ride: The Toy Train is one of the most defining attractions and part of Ooty tourism. Operational between Coonoor and Ooty, and Mettupalayam and Ooty both to and fro, you and your loved ones must make it a point to go on a toy train journey amidst the verdant and visually appealing routes of the Nilgiri Mountains. Also, several trains depart from the three stops multiple times in a day.
Location: Ooty, Tamil Nadu, India
Price: Per person INR 205 per person in First Class | 30 per person in Second Class | 15 for Unreserved category
Timings: Ooty to Mettupalayam - 2:00 pm | Ooty to Coonoor - 9:15 am, 12:15 pm, 2:00 pm, 6:00 pm
2. Visit Toda Tribal Huts: The Toda Huts are one of the unique sightseeing attractions in Ooty. It is a colony of houses where the closely-knit Toda communities reside. The huts have interesting designs with no windows and a semi-barrel shape used for storage, a shelter for cattle and rest for the people. By visiting these homes, visitors can learn about the indigenous culture and the history of Ooty.
Location: Ooty, Tamil Nadu, 643002, India
Timings: 10:00 am to 5:00 pm
3. Go Deer Spotting at Ooty Deer Park: Established in 1986 over 22 acres of land, the Deer Park in Ooty now accounts as one of the most interesting places to visit. Rich in both flora and fauna, the park is home to a variety of deers including such as Sambhar and the Chithal which are also the main highlight of the park. Located close to the Ooty Lake, one can take a quick stroll to get here and interact with hares and rabbits, other than the deers.
Location: Westmere, Ooty, Tamil Nadu 643006, India
Timings: 10:00 am to 6:00 pm
4. Boating at Ooty Lake: Ooty Lake was constructed in 1824 to encourage fishing in the region, but over time has become more than that. Surrounded by some of the best views in the city, of hills and forest, the artificial water body now serves as one of the best tourist attractions. Visitors, both locals and tourists alike, come here to enjoy a picnic, cycling, stroll and the most important - different types of boat rides.
Location: 1 kilometre from the Bus--Station, Ooty, Tamil Nadu, India
Price: Entry starts from INR 13 for Indians | Boat Rides stars from INR 240 (additional charges for the camera, videotaping)
Timings: 9:00 am to 6:00 pm
5. Attend the Summer Festival: The Summer Festival in Ooty is a colourful affair that takes place in May. It is one of the biggest events organized by the Tamil Nadu Tourism Department to promote the local culture and goods. The Botanical Garden is the grand venue where Flower, Spice, Rose, and Fruit Shows are showcased. You can choose to attend any or all of them and have a different kind of experience.
Location: Ooty Botanical Garden - Nilgiris, Vannarapettai, Ooty, Tamil Nadu, 643001, India
Price: INR 15 to 30 per person
Timings: 9:00 am to 7:00 pm
6. Enjoy the Nightlife at local pubs: When one thinks of Ooty, nightlife and clubs aren’t the first things that come to mind. But if you are a night owl and someone who would like to enjoy their evenings as much as their days, there are some fancy and posh dining and drinking outlets in the city. Places like the Valley Bar and Selbournes Bar are especially popular among the local youths and tourists to savour a drink with chill ambience and good music.
Location: The Valley Bar, Canterbury Bar, Selbournes Bar etc., Ooty, Tamil Nadu, India
Timings: 8:00 to 12:00 am
7. Catch up on Reading at Higginbothams Bookstore: This is the oldest bookstores in Ooty, making it almost like a heritage attraction. People who love buying or reading books should definitely plan out an afternoon visit here. One can find old classics to original copies in mint conditions. You can sit here and flip page upon page delving into the world of fantasy or thriller, or simply enjoy the quiet and rustic ambience.
Location: Super Market Complex, Commercial Rd, Opp: Hotel Nahar, Ooty, Tamil Nadu 643001, India
Timings: 10:00 am to 8:00 pm
8. Doddabetta Peak Trek: Ooty, a gorgeous hill station in the Nilgiri Range of Tamil Nadu is home to several forests, mountain and lakeside trails, perfect for trekking excursions. Whether you are an advanced level trekker or some starting out, you will find just the trail that matches your level of difficulty. With that said, one of the most popular sites and challenges to overcome is the peaking Doddabetta Mountain with an elevation of 2,637 metres, making it the highest peak in the Nilgiris.
Location: Glenmorgan, Doddabetta Peak, Pine Forest etc., Ooty, Tamil Nadu, India
Price: Starts from INR 1500 per person
9. Camping: Who doesn’t like an outdoorsy adventure, particularly camping? And to make your camping dreams come true, Ooty has too many places. Be it in the woods of the Pine Forest, the many lakes like - Avalanche, Emerald etc. or the nearby outlooks like Masanigudi and Coonoor, there are dedicated and planned camping sites where you can enjoy the open skies, gimmer of the stars, bonfires and still get all the comforts like well-appointed tents, meals and other amenities.
Location: Avalanche Lake, Kotagiri, Masinagudi etc
Price: Starts from INR 1200 per person
10. Shopping: Shopping is one universal activity that everyone does when they visit a new place or before returning home to collect trinkets, buy souvenirs and many regional speciality items. And Ooty is no different, the ‘Queen of the Hill stations’ is also a queen when it comes to making purchases for a variety of goods. There are local markets with shops and stall like - Main Bazaar, Tibetan Market etc. and there are also special shops like Chamraj Tea Shop, Higginbothams Bookstore, Doddabetta Tea Factory etc. from where you can bring back apparels, footwear, winter wear, accessories, tea, spices, homemade chocolate, books and other products.
Location: Charing Cross, Tibetan Market, Upper Bazaar Road