Beautifully tucked away on the western coast with the waters of Arabian Sea, Mumbai is a marvelous tourist destination that attracts millions of tourists throughout the year. Mumbai is a city of paradoxes and lures travelers to witness the bustling metropolis offering something for everyone. The heart of Bollywood, the commercial capital, a melting pot of cultures, traditions and religions, Mumbai is a land of contrasting diversities. Blessed with numerous tourist attractions and the best things to do in Mumbai, it is perfect if you are looking for an exciting vacation destination. Explore this amazing city and take home a cherished ‘aamchi Mumbai’ experience. See it to believe it! The history buffs can go touring the well known Gateway of India, Haji Ali, Chhatrapati Shivaji Vastu Sanghralaya and Rajabai Clock Tower in Mumbai while the adventure junkies can embark on some thrilling adventures around Mumbai like Matheran, Andherban, Rajmachi or go on a cycling visit in Borivali National Park.
While the children can have a fun filled day at the Essel World with various rides and amusement activities. Mumbai is additionally home to delightful shorelines, Madh Island shoreline is known for its peaceful environment. Visit the Siddhivinayak temple to find some solace in the spiritual ambience. The city is swirling with the nation's most acclaimed night clubs. Take a stroll during sunset on the famous ‘Chowpatty Beach’ while enjoying the famous Mumbai street food to spice up your taste buds. From soaring malls to street shops, Mumbai offers a wide range of shopping options that suit every pocket. And so on, the city has alternatives for various types of tourists. If you have a vacation to Mumbai on the cards in the near future, don’t sweat out asking people or browsing the endless listings on the internet. Just read on to find the best holiday packages with the most amazing listing on the best things to do in Mumbai.
Places to Visit and Things to Do in Mumbai
People Also Ask About Mumbai Things To Do
Which is the best time to visit Mumbai for vacation?
Mumbai is a popular tourist destination all throughout the year. The winter months are ideal for sight-seeing as the days are cool. July and August see a lot of rainfall, while travelling is difficult during monsoons, it is still beautiful by the sea.
What all activities can be done in Mumbai?
Mumbai is a cosmopolitan city which caters to all types of travelers.
- The avid history lovers can go sightseeing the famous Gateway of India, Haji Ali, ChhatrapatiShivajiVastuSanghralaya and Rajabai Clock Tower.
- The thrill seeking adventure lovers can indulge in one of the many famous treks around Mumbai like Matheran, Andherban, Rajmachi or go on a cycling tour in Borivali National Park.
- The kids love Essel World with its numerous rides and amusement games.
- Mumbai is also home to beautiful beaches, Madh Island beach is known for its serene surroundings.
- A visit to the famous Siddhivinayak temple for a soul searching experience.
- The city is abuzz with the country’s most famous night clubs. You name it, the city has options for different kinds of tourists.
What all adventure activities can be done in Mumbai?
There are a number of adventure sports near Mumbai. The city is located at the confluence of the Arabian Sea and the Western Ghats and has many alluring activities from sailing, rafting, trekking to rappelling.
- You can enjoy rowing in Kayaks around the Chowpatty beach.
- Cycling and trekking through a beautiful trail with interesting flora and fauna in Borivali National Park is an experience in itself.
- A trek to Cannon hill on the Elephanta Island will give you a panoramic view of the Arabian Sea.
Which all places are best for sightseeing in Mumbai?
Mumbai has amazing sights that will just blow your mind with its beauty.
- The iconic ‘Gate way of India’ on the Mumbai harbor front is a popular tourist haunt and depicts the grandeur of the British era.
- ‘Haji Ali’ the shrine of Saint Pir Haji Ali stands in the middle of Arabian Sea and is a marvel of Indo-Islamic architecture.
- The Dargah complex is also known for delectable Mughalai cuisine like kebabs and biryani. A trip to Elephanta Island to witness the intricate artwork and carvings in the temples inside elephanta caves. The temples are cut into the rocks with charming patios, corridors, and columns.
- The famous ‘Siddhivinayak Temple’ of Lord Ganesha is known for its alluring architecture and beauty.
- ‘ChhatrapatiShivajiMaharajVastuSangrahalaya’ is the most premier art and history museum in India. This is also known as Prince of Wales Museum of India and has rare displays depicting the rich culture and heritage of our nation.
- ‘Mount Mary Church’ is a quaint and peaceful church located on a hillock in Bandra.
- A walk during sunset on the famous ‘Chowpatty Beach’ while enjoying the famous Mumbai street food is sure to leave your taste buds tingling.
What is Mumbai Darshan bus service? How can we book it?
Mumbai Darshan Bus Service is a packaged tour to cover many destinations in one day. It starts by picking up tourists from different destinations in the morning and ends at 8 PM by dropping tourists at respective stops. The tour can be booked by visiting websites of Neeta Tours and travels.
Which places are best for trekking near Mumbai?
- Lohagad Fort which stays covered with mist and clouds and becomes particularly wet with growing moss. It is an easy one day trekking tour.
- Mahuli Fort is situated on a solitary hill on its western face of Sahyadri Range. This makes for a secluded yet one of the most majestic trekking spots.
- Prabalgad Fort is 50 km from Mumbai. It is located on a plateau close to Matheran.
- Raigad Fort is one of the best treks near Mumbai, with a chance to trek in the night. It’s scary but safe.
Which are some famous forts for trekking near Mumbai?
Kulang Fort has the highest climb from base to the top in Sahyadri ranges. Out of the trio forts. Only this fort can be climbed without technical help. To reach the top one has to climb rock cut stairs, some which were broken and blown away by the British. There are few remnants and a water tank on the fort. One can stay in caves for the night (30 people capacity).
Kohoj, a hill fort is situated in Palghar region. One can see this fort while traveling on Mumbai-Ahmadabad highway near Manor Naka. This fort is at about 12 km from Wada. You can take the route which starts from Waghote.
This village is located on Manor-Wada route at around 8 km from Mumbai-Ahmadabad highway. One can reach to the top of Kohoj within 3 hrs. from the base village.
Located in Lonavala which is just a couple of hours from Pune, Lohgad is one of the best forts to visit during any time of the year. An ideal time to visit Lohgad would be in the winter season. It is always recommended that you start your trek early so that you do not get fatigued quickly.
Raigad is a fortified hill fortress situated in the modern day near Mahad, Raigad district of Maharashtra, India. The fort, which rises 820 meters (2,700 ft) above sea level, is located in the Sahyadri mountain range.
There are approximately 1400–1450 steps leading to the fort, though today a rope-way exists to reach the top of the fort.
Which are the best amusement parks in Mumbai? How much is the entry fee?
The best amusement parks in Mumbai are:
- ADLABS IMAGICA, India’s biggest theme park, which has earned the nickname “India’s Disney world”. The park has six different entertainment zones with crazy rides, exotic restaurants and shopping arcades.
- Essel World is one of the oldest amusement parks and is a must visit for all age groups.
- Smaaash offers a blend of thrilling sports, music and fine dining to tourists.
- The Snow World offers snow sledding, skiing and snow war game options making tourists go bonkers in the snow.
Where can we do river rafting near Mumbai?
- Rafting in Kundalika River in Kolad has been rated as one of the top 5 rafting destinations in India. Kolad is 130 kms from Mumbai and is well connected by train, bus and road.
- The Kundalika River is one of the fastest flowing rivers in the Southern part of India, providing adrenaline rush to the thrill seekers.
What sort of activities are enjoyable by children in Mumbai?
There are many places and experiences for kids in Mumbai.
- OvalekarWadi Butterfly garden is an exciting spot for children to observe more than 130 species of colorful and vibrant butterflies.
- The RBI Monetary Museum will take your child on a historical tour through the evolution of money.
- A trip to Kanheri caves through Borivali National park is exciting for kids with small rivulets and waterfalls.
- Essel World with its many rides and amusement games is an all-time favorite spot for kids.
Which all places are best for couples in Mumbai?
The best places for couples to explore together are:
- A late night coffee at Marine Drive.
- Madh Island beach is an ideal getaway for couples with its placid waters and mangrove trees.
- Bandra Fort is another popular place for spending some quality time together.
- To share a memorable day with your partner a late night drive at the Palm beach road, Navi Mumbai is exquisite.
- The terraced Hanging Gardens are a perfect place to spend some cozy time together.
- Chotta Kashmir, in Goregaon East with its lake and lush green gardens and paddle boating is one of the most romantic spots in the city.
- Carter Road is another hangout spot for couples alongside Bandstand Promenade for couples.
- A candle light dinner on a cruise, which starts from Gateway of India is ideal for that special date with your significant other.
Where can couples go for a romantic candlelight dinner in Mumbai?
These restaurants have a perfect ambience with candle lights, view of the sea and excellently cooked food.
- ‘The Sassy Spoon’ in Nariman Point is one of the prettiest restaurants with a décor of fairy lights and gauzy curtains. The cuisine is European.
- ‘Dome’ perched on the rooftop of Intercontinental is famous for its all white décor and spectacular view of the marine drive.
- ‘Aer’ on the 34th floor offers the most breathtaking views of the city and is quite romantic to sip cocktails on the top of the world.
- ‘The Pali Village Café’ provides romantic two seater tables on the mezzanine balcony with sumptuous meals.
Which are the best restaurants of Mumbai? What cuisines one should try?
Mumbai cuisine is known for its native, borrowed, refurbished and reinterpreted food.
- The trademark VadaPao, PaoBhaji, SevPuri, Bhel are a gastronomic delight for all.
- The Juhu Beach and Chowpatty are the best places to get these authentic chaats.
- The Konkan food in Mutton Masala and Tisriya is known for delicious fish curries and sol curry.
- Try traditional simple yet delectable Maharashtrian meal consisting of VaratBhat, Usat, thaliPeeth and Kharwas in small restaurants in lanes of Dadar.
- The Udipi restaurants are known for their South Indian food and have outlets in all parts of the city.
- The Muhammad Ali road for its delectable kebabs and biryanis.
- ‘Britannia’ ‘Jimmy Boy’ are some of the oldest Irani cafes in the old town area.
What sort of nightlife I can experience in Mumbai?
It is known as the city that never sleeps and Mumbai night life is an experience in itself.
- Nariman Point on Marine drive is the place to hangout and admire the city lights during the wee hours.
- JuhuChowpatty is open throughout the night and Bademiya in Colaba is best for late night munching.
- The city is known for its dazzling night clubs from elite Taproom, Olive, Social, Hoppipola to local bars like Gokul and Sunlight for travelers on budget.
- The late-night movie shows at famous Regal and Metro cinemas for movies buff at pocket-friendly rates is an experience.
Which are some famous pubs and bars in Mumbai?
The nightlife in Mumbai is an experience in itself. The city boasts of some of the most happening pubs in the country.
- ‘Toto’s Garage’ is a neon-lit bunker with DJ playing in a Maruti Van.
- ‘Aer’ is one of the plushest bars on the 34th floor with spectacular view and interesting cocktails.
- Janata Lunch Home is a fuss free bar which serves beer up to 3 am.
- Olive, WTF and Woodside Inn are few other interesting places to hang out for a couple of drinks.
Which places are good for shopping? What I must buy from Mumbai?
Mumbai is a shopper’s paradise for frugal tourists and is known for its street shopping.
- The best shopping destinations are Linking Road Bandra for latest clothes, bags, footwear at throwaway prices.
- Hill road and Zaveri Bazaar is known for antique pieces of junk jewelry and trinkets.
- Fashion Street is the place where you get fake Guccis and Prada at cheap prices. Do look for manufacturing defects.
- Colaba causeway is a fashion lover’s delight with everything from clothes to accessories. Hindmata Market is known for its designer sarees, lehengas, and sherwanis.
- Do visit Chor Bazaar the oldest markets of the city and get good deals on gadgets.
Which are some famous resorts in Mumbai for a day out?
- U Tropicana Beach Resort in Alibaug with sandy tranquil beach, Della Resorts and Villas are known for their luxurious apartments and adventure sports.
- Upper Deck in Lonavala is perched at the highest point with amazing views of hills.
- Prakruti Resort in Kashid village is a beautiful picnic with the view of sea and the mountains.
Which resorts are good for family outings near Mumbai?
- Prakruti Resort inKashid Village is the best for a family outing with huge lush green lawns for children to play and antique sit outs for adults.
- Palm Beach Resort is ideal for family with kids near Mumbai with horse cart riding and hammocks.
- Mango Beach House in Alibaug is nestled in natural surrounding with birds chirping and lush green surrounding gives a good break from the city life.
Which resorts are good for team outing near Mumbai?
- Outdoors Ahoy in Sajan with its sprawling lawns and myriad adventure activities is perfect for team building activities.
- Resort by Cascading waterfalls provides numerous soft adventure activities for corporate teams to relax and enjoy together.
- The Ecotel Resort in Tungarli is a perfect getaway for team outings for soothing frazzled nerves.
Can we go for caving near Mumbai? Which places are famous for cave exploration?
Caving or Spelunking is not for the faint hearted as it is dark and murky world inside the caves with rocks and mud.
- The Elephanta Caves in Elephanta Island boast of the most intricate architecture of Hindu, Buddhist and Jain monks.
- Kanheri Caves are located in the Borivali National Park and the carvings show development of Buddhism in India.
Can we go for a wine tour near Mumbai? Which vineyards are famous for wine tasting?
Sula Vineyards and Soma Vineyard Resort in Nashik provide wine tasting session with ample information on the techniques of proper wine tasting. A tour of the vineyard estate will show you the grapes from which wine is made and wine factory for the techniques involved in winemaking.
Which places are good for camping near Mumbai?
Mumbai has many campsites around which are full of beauty and amusement.
- Pavana Lake Camp is one of the least explored artificial lake and is a perfect spot for camping, picnics and sightseeing.
- Camping in Karnala Bird Sanctuary in Panvel is an enthralling experience with swaying palm trees forests and untouched splendor.
- Camping in Badlapur is an experience with sounds of chirping birds and the music of flowing river.
Which are must visit places within 100kms from Mumbai?
There are several weekend getaways within 100 Kms of Mumbai.
- Hill stations like Lonavala, Khandala and Matheran offer beautiful picnic spots, trekking and camping opportunities. They are a perfect place to rejuvenate in the lap of beautiful Sahyadri ranges.
- Several one day trekking tours like Rajmachi Trek, Prabalgad Trek and Kulang Fort Trek offer a short break from the city life.
- Alibaug, which is 97 Kms from Mumbai is known for its sandy beaches and tranquil surroundings.
Which are some famous weekend getaways from Mumbai?
Mumbai is located at the confluence of the Western Ghats and Arabian Sea and has amazing places for a short weekend trip.
- A trip to Karnala Bird Sanctuary, Karjat, Matheran, Lonavala and Khandala to enjoy lush green slopes of mountains and waterfalls.
- Many adventure activities like trekking, rappelling and river crossing are available for adventure junkies.
- A trip to MalshedGhat is the most picturesque trip in Maharashtra with amazing flora and fauna.
- Alibaug is a hot favorite for a beach holiday.
- Kolad is famous for white water rafting.
Where can we go for road trips from Mumbai?
The road trips which should be on the bucket list of all travelers are:
- A bike trip to Lonavala and Khandala.
- Kashid Village is a secluded beach destination with quaint surroundings and a fort in Murud, which is located in the sea.
- Pelhar Dam is only 59 km from Mumbai and is a charming picnic spot.
- The drive to Kamshet is beautiful with scenic surroundings.
- For long road trips you can visit Aurangabad, Sula Vineyards, Tarkarli for star gazing and Goa.