Teatro alla Scala, inaugurated on 3rd August 1778, is a stunning theatre in the romantic city of Milan, Italy. It has an excellent holding capacity of 2030 people in it. La Scala theatre orchestra and La Scala theatre ballet are two schools associated with the theatre.
La Scala academy's primary objective is to teach and train the young blood to excel in music, dance, and technical programs. The La Scala shows begin on feast day that is celebrated in Milan with great enthusiasm. Evenings are the time when the performances starts, and one gets to enjoy the opera till midnight.
Another epic place in the opera house is the Museo Teatrale alLa Scala. One can get to see a tremendous set of drafts, paintings, costumes, statues at Museo Teatrale alLa Scala (Musume of the La Scala theatre), which is an open museum.
The history of the theatre is also depicted here and one can learn a lot of fascinating facts by just visiting this marvellous piece of art. The interesting part about the theatre is that famous Italian singers, as well as artists, have made an appearance at this beautiful opera.
It is amongst the most famous ballet and opera theatres in the world. One should definitely visit this theatre because of the artists, as well as the artwork that it features. This place’s history and its impressive performances attract the tourist to visit this place and everyone who visits the theatre is sure to have an amazing time.
How To Reach
The distance from the airport to the theatre is 41 kilometers by train and 49.3 kilometers by road. The best means of transportation is considered to be the train. Below are the best means of commuting from the airport to the Teatro alLa Scala.
The cheapest way to travel from the airport to the destination is to drive.
People who like to travel through train, there is a direct train that departs from the airport and arrives at Milano Cadorna. This train operates every day and departs every 30 minutes.
Best Time To Visit
Keeping in mind, the best time to visit Italy is in the spring season. The time of fall which is (April to June) or fall season (September to October). These seasons have a temperate climate with fewer tourists and lower prices. On the other hand, the weather in Milan is lovely during these periods.
The La Scala requires at least 3 days to explore. Also, due to the fact that the tourists keep pouring in, the reservations are required to be made at least 6 months in advance so that they get to see the art gallery as well as the restaurants. Depending on the season the program takes place the concert lasts about 2 hours, one looking for an opera experience must come before 15 min the time from the ticket showtime mentioned.
Other Essential Information
Location: Via Filodrammatici, 2, 20121 Milano MI, Italy
Opening hour: 9:00 AM - 12:30 PM, 1:30 PM - 5:30 PM (suggested duration 2-3 hours)
- Fee for students: € 6
- Fee for schools: € 3,50
- Full fare ticket: € 9
- Tickets for disabled and below 12: free
Distance from the nearest airport:
The total distance from the nearest airport, Milan Malpensa Airport (MXP), Italy is around 50.6 km. From the airport it takes about 51 min via train to reach La Scala, Lombardy, Italy
- Via bus, it takes: 1hr 12 min
- Via taxi: 38 min- Via town cars:
History of Teatro alla Scala
La Scala, the full form for which is Teatro Alla Scala, and the translation is ‘the theatre at the stairway’. Known to be the leading Italian house in Milan, it was built in the year 1776. The theatre is a very journey associated with a ballet school and a singing School too.
One of the stories about the theatre states that the entire place was illuminated with numerous lamps inside and outside of the academy, when it was inaugurated. Also, buckets of water were kept in each room to prevent fire.
Empress Maria Teresa of Austria was the one to build it before the start of World War 1. To secure the house from the tyranny of World War 1, it remained closed till the war ended; however, the theatre still had to face the wrath of World War 2 as it was bombed during the second World War.
In 1946, the theatre was opened, and renovated. Then in 2001, the house was closed for extensive renovation, after which it remains open till date. This House of opera is known to be different from the other leading House of operas due to the history that it has.
The Museum at Teatro alla Scala
The ‘Museo Teatrale AlLa Scala’ is a famous theatrical museum where various artists showcase their amazing talent. It is obvious that its particular focus is on the history of Opera. But along with the house of opera, the museum also extends its knowledge to the theatrical history of the Italian culture in general.
This Museum is established adjacent to the house of opera. It was established in the year 1913. The funds raised to build this Museum was through auctions that continued for two years, and the sources were mixed both from Government and private. Along with the Museum, a library is also attached, which is on the second floor and is very popular for its rare edition collection.
The Museum is popular for revealing the main characters and their storylines that made the Teatro Alla Scala what it is today. One such is the play of Romeo and Juliet, which actually made the characters come to life after the play was enacted there. They get to hear a dramatic ending, which will make this an unforgettable experience. This is amongst the most spectacular museums in the whole world.
The best parts about the theatre is that the narrator also is able to enthral the audience by their melodrama and amazing talent of making everyone laugh, even when the play is a serious one. Along with this, the pieces are performed on the piano as well.
Facts about Teatro alla Scala
Let's study some great facts about the Milam House of opera
- This is amongst the most popular House of opera in the whole world. In the last 200 years, The Best Singers and perform there and have added feathers to the hat.
- For those who don't understand the meaning, Scala here means staircase. There are myths that the theatre is built on the church site, and a famous story has been heard for decades now about a sick child that was a cure in here.
- The first Opera that was performed in this Museum was by Mozart. But funnily enough, the next time Mozart was heard in the museum was in the year 2004.
- Who doesn't know the fantastic violinist Paganini, but what you don't know is that his debut was done this house of opera in the year 1813.
- This was not just an exclusive House of opera for theatres because other services were also performed here, which were not received critically well. The services include the trading transaction, stock-jobbing, and such other services that were carried on the pit.
- The house of opera is also famous for maintaining an extraordinary and unique relationship with Verdi. Although some believe, Verdi did not perform there for many years because the orchestra modified the music he was performing. But later in 1874, he played there, and it was announced in the year 1886 that this House of opera would host the premiere, which we know today as Otello.
- As we know, the house of opera was severely damaged during World War II, but it was later rebuilt and opened in the year 1946 that year. There was a very memorable concert that was conducted by Toscanini, which was followed by Renata Tebaldi’s Soprano solo. And for those who know, this was a sensational opening.