About Bhadrakali Temple
The Bhadrakali temple was built in honor of Goddess Uma who turned into Mother Kali. Her incarnation as the fierce and brutal is worshipped here with much devotion because she is considered as the protector of the silent town of Gokarna. The presence of the Bhadrakali temple is considered to be a significant part of the town primarily because of the various tales attached to the formation of the temple. It is surely one of the strongest identities of Gokarna.
The temple is a part of the MAHABALESHWAR complex and is located about 1 km away from Gokarna. Over the years Bhadrakali Temple has gained the position of a temple where people plan and go because people believe that mother Kali listens to all. The temple is a humble built structure and its entrance has 2 ferocious lions and two warriors on either side of the main gate.
The statue of the Goddess depicts Kali in a livid mode with huge eyes staring out in anger and with weapons in one hand. Mythological beliefs point out that the main reason for the existence of the temple was because Goddess Uma was discarded by Ravana and Lord Vishnu instructed her to remain indoors. This later took the form of a temple.
The commercial town centre and the popular Shree Narayana temple are located within the vicinity of the temple. Friday, as we all know, is the day of all Goddesses and this day holds special importance here. Devotees from all over the world come here to pay respects, offer flowers and Prasad along with doing puja for their overall well-being. The temple has an imposing presence and due to the tales attached to the presence of the temple, it has been an important place of worship.
History of Bhadrakali Temple
Bhadrakali temple has a rich history to share and the events associated with the formation of the temple are mystical. The locals of the town have interesting tales to tell about why the temple came into being. Many people say that Goddess Uma was abandoned by Ravana and it was Lord Vishnu who asked her to remain inside. There are other stories that are doing the rounds about the temple.
It is said that Goddess Kali was created by Brahma, Vishnu, and Shiva, - 'Trinity’ Gods to destroy Vetrasur who was a powerful demon. The demon had been wreaking havoc in the world and was destroyed by the powerful Goddess. Then on the orders of Lord Shiva, Goddess Kali left for Gokarna to protect the town and its people. It was from that time onward that the deity is a part of the temple and an important part of the town.
How to Reach Bhadrakali Temple
The Bhadrakali temple is located only a km away from the bus stand. From the bus stand, you can take an auto which will take close to 5 minutes to reach the place.
Best Time to Visit Bhadrakali Temple
The temple can be visited throughout the year. Although, you can visit in the months between October and March for the best experience. In the monsoon season, the rain is excessive in Karnataka which might make it a tad inconvenient to visit the temple due to heavy rains, yet even in this season, several devotees come here.
What Not to Miss at Bhadrakali Temple
Places to Visit Near Bhadrakali Temple
There are several places in Gokarna that are worth visiting near the temple. Bhadrakali temple is in a prime location and has many spots close to it which are easily reachable by any mode of transportation.
1. Om Beach: Visit the beautiful Om Beach and experience the unparalleled tranquillity and calm. The soothing beauty of the beach is surrounded by lush foliage that borders the Western Ghats. Tourists come here in good numbers to soak themselves in the sun and enjoy the beautiful sights of the beach. Om Beach is shaped as two crescents that are joined together to form the shape of Om. The entire beach consists of a white stretch of sand with rocky terrain and presents a great opportunity to make memories.
2. Paradise Beach: Relax at the Full-moon beach, a paradise for heaven seekers; The Paradise Beach is close to 150 meters in length with 70% covered in coarse rocks. The waters being calmly present a great opportunity to engage in a relaxing swim. There is not much scope for water sports adventure activities but to spend some time in solace you can always count on Paradise beach.
3. Dandeli Wildlife sanctuary: Go wild at Dandeli Wildlife Sanctuary which is the second-largest sanctuary of Karnataka located on the banks of River Kali. The thick forests and rich diversity of plants and animals make this place a must-include in your travel itinerary.
4. Maha Ganpati temple: Get religious at the Maha Ganapati temple which is one of the shiniest jewels of Gokarna. The temple premise has an immediate calming effect on you and like the Bhadrakali temple; the Maha Ganpati temple also has some spiritual tales surrounding its foundation.
Things to do On and Near Bhadrakali Temple
1. Learn how to surf at Cocopelli Surf School for an offbeat experience. The surf school was opened by Sandeep Samuel in the year 2011 and is the only surfing spot here. The classes are scheduled according to the level of surfers. A practical hands-on experience-based training is provided by letting the beginners surf safer beaches. The surfing lesson includes induction on the techniques of swimming along with safety equipment and tips that are required to do the activity with finesse.
2. Go trekking at the Om Beach after your visit to the temple. The quaint little beach is famous for its relaxing spots but it is also famous to take a long trek. You can experience the beauty and sanctity of the town by engaging in an interesting trek experience.
3. Sail your way from the Om Beach. The beach is synonymous with several adventure activities like parasailing. If you want a bird’s eye view of Gokarna then you will love parasailing here.
4. Trip to the Murudeshwar beach: Murudeshwar beach is a less crowded beach that is a heaven for both adventure lovers and for those who love to relax and take it easy. For those who seek a different experience then coming here is a must.
Other Essential Information About Bhadrakali Temple
Location: The temple is located in the prime area of Gokarna very close to the town center and right opposite the Shree Narayana temple. The complete address is Main Road, Gokarna, and Karnataka – 581326
Entry: Entry to the temple is free. If you want to perform special Pooja then the cost will be according to the puja ceremony performed.
Timing: The temple opens at 5.00 AM and is shut at noon. It opens again at 4.00 AM and is open till 4.00 PM
Distance from Gokarna city center: The temple is not far from the city center and is located at an estimated distance of 2 km from the same.
Places to Eat Near Bhadrakali Temple
Visiting Gokarna is a complete experience. When you come here on your visit to the temple you can engage in a host of activities including eating in some good places to satisfy your taste buds.
1. Namaste Cafe: This is one of the most popular places to eat and is located at Om Beach. The cafe is an open thatched place which offers magnetic views of the sea while you munch on your favorite snack. The Cafe also has an option for a relaxing stay with packages designed to benefit the enthusiastic traveler.
2. Love the vegetarian delights at the Dolphin view restaurant. The Masala cashew curry with rice is its best dish along with other South Indian cuisines that are considered its specialty here.
3. Mahalaxmi Restaurant: Eat at the Backpacker’s paradise, the Mahalaxmi Restaurant, which serves some of the best Banana pancakes with several other breakfast delights. The restaurant also serves Indian cuisines like Mughlai, Punjabi and much more at reasonable rates.
Places to Stay Near Bhadrakali Temple
1. Paradise Holiday Cottage: Stay Comfortable at the Paradise Holiday cottage at reasonable rates. The rooms are simple and have the basic requisites with all the necessary facilities. There is only one type of room available here and is considered a good place to live amidst nature. The place is located on the right of the Om Beach with the stone cottage providing a queen-sized bed, small dressing table, AC and much more.
2. Experience the aura of a relaxing stay at Gokarna International Beach resort. The location of this hotel is one of its highlights. The balconies of the rooms overlook the sea and are quite spacious too. Close to Kudle Beach, this resort stay is value for money.
3. Stay at the orange-hued Sanskruti Resort with all modern amenities you will ever find at Gokarna. The rooms are standard sized but its interiors are contemporary with other facilities like modern bathrooms, massage center, Bar and lounge, safe deposit box, conference room, and even Airport Shuttle if required.
4. Relax at just 10 mins away from Kudle Beach at the Kudle Beach View resort. It is a great place to spend your holiday with good clean rooms, impeccable service, and tasty food. There is a place to perform yoga overlooking the beach view making it one of the most pursued activities here. For trek lovers, the Kudle trek is a great activity to engage in and is located just 10 minutes away from the resort.
Travelers' Tip before visiting Bhadrakali Temple
1. Bhadrakali temple has special relevance for Fridays as it considered as the day of all Goddesses. If you want to do a special offering or a puja, Friday is a good day. But, be prepared for the crowd.
2. Mother Kali is the destructor of demons and the festival of nine nights ‘Navratri’ is considered an auspicious time to visit here.
3. If you want any special puja done, it is important to research well about the puja before taking it. The local priests of the temple can be contacted directly for the same.
4. We suggest you wear ethnic outfits when you come here for worship.