Activities to Do in ShimlaGo Camping in Shimla, Visit the Shimla Ridge, Go Trekking in Shimla, Shop till you drop at Mall Road, Indulge in River Rafting, Experience the Ride on Toy Train, Enjoy Paragliding, Skate at natural Ice Skating Rink, Visit Chadwick Waterfall, Take Blessings at Jakhoo Temple and many more.
Shimla which was once the summer capital of the British in India has always been a popular tourist destination and is a preferred getaway for honeymoon. Standing at 2130m, it is often called the Queen of Himalayas. Shimla is a picturesque town characterised by its rugged mountainous terrain, snowfall, tranquil setting and the huge pine trees dotting the landscape. Shimla being a much revered tourist destination in India, it provides many things to its visitors and the Best Things To Do in Shimla would be to enjoy the natural landscapes and indulge in the adventure pursuits. Shimla is also an ideal destination for camping activities and is equipped with some eye-catching camping sites at beautiful locations in and around Shimla. Sandasu, Chirgaon and Larot are great places for a camping getaway. A day outing will take one to the serene and beautiful spots of Glenn, Summer Hill and Chadwick Falls. Shimla is popular for its Toy train service that runs between Shimla to Kalka and a trip to Shimla remains incomplete without the toy train ride.
There are some most exciting places to visit in Shimla, It is a Pandora box of architectural gems where one can reminisce with the colonial past by visiting these beautiful buildings such as the Shimla State Museum and the Christ Church situated on the Ridge alongside the Mall Road. Mall Road in Shimla is filled with various eateries and street side shops selling interesting curios, winter garments and various artefacts and souvenirs. Also visiting other attractions like the Tara Devi Temple, Sankat Mochan and Kali Bari Temple is one of the Best Things To Do in Shimla. Shimla is also the buffer town for undertaking famous Himalayan treks like the Roopkund Trek and the Pindari Glacier Trek.
Here are some of the best things to do in Shimla:
1. Go Camping in ShimlaThe true essence of a beautiful hill station can really be experienced in outdoor accommodation in nature. Since Shimla serves as an excellent base for many trekking expeditions, camping is among the popular things to do in Shimla.
Despite being a home to a large population, Shimla still possesses thick vegetation. Camping in Shimla is a must-experience activity for every adventure enthusiast or nature lover visiting Shimla.
Location: There are some perfect campsites in Shimla, offering magnificent views of the green hills around. You can pick a campsite among the major ones like Shoghi, Sarahan, Sandasu, and Chirgaon.
Highlights: The hills of Shimla are laden with Pine, Oak and Deodar forests that make the atmosphere soothing and apt for camping.
Cost: Variable and depends on the camp.
Also Checkout - Himachal Tour Packages
Himachal Honeymoon Packages
2. Visit the Shimla RidgePopular as the cultural hub of Shimla, The Ridge is a must on your list of things to do in Shimla. Whether looking for a quiet cup of coffee after a long day of sightseeing or old British and Gothic establishments and architecture, The Ridge is your stop.
It also connects to Scandal Point at one end and Lakkar Bazaar (famous for woodcraft) at the other end. The Ridge becomes the hotspot of the city during fests and events, the most popular being the Summer Festival.
Location: Ridge Road, near Mall Road, Himachal Pradesh - 171001.
Highlights: The Ridge of Shimla is the hub of all the cultural activities of Shimla. Some of the prominent places of Shimla such as the Lakkar Bazaar, Mall, Scandal Point, Jakhoo hill, etc is in close proximity to the Ridge.
Cost: No entry fee.
Must Checkout - Group Tours To Himachal Pradesh
Himachal Family Tour Packages
3. Go Trekking in ShimlaTrekking is popular in Shimla as the mysterious and the beautiful ranges of Himalayas are just the right sites for you to try your hand at trekking and it is one of the best Shimla things to do.
Location: Trekking can be tried at several undulating terrains as well as hills in Shimla. Some of the popular and common routes for trekking include:
Shimla - Luhri - Ani - Khanag - Jalori Pass - Jibhit - Banjar
Shimla - Narkanda - Hattu Peak - Chaupal - Kedi - Halau - Kandol - Koti - Chakrata
Shimla - Narkanda - Khadrala - Sungri - Devidhar - Rohru - Shimla
Banjar - Bathad - Sarahan - Arsu - Rampur - Shimla
You can check here the list of best treks you can opt-in Shimla.
Highlights: Treks usually vary from each other and one can pick the length of the trek depending on the time and the capability. There are several shelters as well as the rest houses that have been set for the tourists to rest and re-energize.
Cost: Variable and depends on the length of the treks.
Also Book - Luxury Himachal Tour Packages
Shimla Tour Packages
4. Shop till you drop at Mall Road
Get a glimpse of the local life by visiting Mall Road, a bustling street in the centre of Shimla. It is a perfect area for a thorough shopping spree with numerous shops for woollen clothes, local handicraft items, rugs, pottery items, jewellery, and many more that will fascinate you and it is one of the Shimla famous things.
If you are not a crowd person but still want to experience the humdrum of the area, you have a variety of quaint little cafe to sit in with a hot cuppa and see the evening go by.
Now you know why coming here is one of the most favourite tourist activities to do in Shimla.
Location: Mall road, Shimla center, Shimla, Himachal Pradesh.
Highlights: Bustling market with different shops and cafes.
Cost: It depends on the shop.
Must Book - Dharamshala Travel Packages
Dalhousie Trip Packages
5. Indulge in River RaftingRiver Rafting is one very popular adventure sports in Shimla. The free-flowing rivers of Shimla offer the most ideal conditions for river rafting in the city and it is one of the best Shimla things to do.
Location: The river Sutlej that flows near Shimla offers great options for river rafting. The very popular whitewater rafting place in Shimla is carried out from the Chabba to Tattapani. The length of this stretch is 12 km and takes about 2 hours to challenge the much rapid and aggressive Sutlej river.
Highlights: This adventure sport is usually carried out on an inflatable rubber dinghy.
Cost: Variable and depends on the length of the duration and the track you choose for rafting.
Check here: Some of the best packages of River Rafting in Shimla.
6. Experience the Ride on Toy TrainWith gorgeous views of pine-covered hills, this five-hour train ride should be on your things to do in Shimla list. A 96 kilometres run, this journey will take you through 20 stations, 103 tunnels, 800 bridges and about 900 breath-taking curves.
The distance between Barog and Shimla is the most amazing part of this journey when the train slows down due to a steep climb, giving you the opportunity to witness some mesmerising scenes. Advance booking is recommended.
Highlights: Barog Station which has the longest tunnel.
Cost: INR 65 to INR 500.
Suggested Read: Thrilling Paragliding Adventures in Shimla
7. ParaglidingIf you have ever dreamed of flying, Shimla is the place where you can come and make your dream of flying come true. Due to its perfect hills, ideal for paragliding, Shimla serves as an excellent paragliding destination and makes it a mecca of thrill-seekers and it is one of the Shimla famous things.
The vistas of the mighty mountain ranges you can witness during the activity are enough to make it an unforgettable experience. Try this activity in Shimla to shoot up the level of adrenaline running through your blood.
Location: The best place in Shimla to experience the exhilarating fun of paragliding in Shimla is Kangra Valley. Fly gracefully over the enchanting valley of Kangra and land like a champion on its meadows on your next visit to Shimla
Highlights: This adventure sport will make you fall in love with mountain ranges and valleys.
Cost: Variable and depends on the length of the duration.
Go through the list of different packages for Paragliding so that you can choose the best one for you.
Must Book & Checkout - Shimla Honeymoon Packages
Shimla Tour Package For Family
8. Skate at natural Ice Skating RinkIce skating is said to be one of the most popular adventures sports in Shimla. It is known that Shimla has one of the largest ice skating rinks in India and it is one of the fun Shimla things to do.
Ice skating in Shimla usually commences in the month of December and goes on till late February. During this time, the skies are clear and the weather is cold thereby ensuring undisturbed sessions of ice skating.
Location: Lakkar Bazar, Shimla, Himachal Pradesh 171001.
Highlights: To the surprise of many, Shimla is the only ‘natural’ ice skating rink of India. This is the reason why this largest open-air rink, tends to attract both tourists as well as local, alike.
Cost: Cost will depend on the length of the session. Sessions of ice skating take place twice a day i.e. both in the morning as well as in the evening. The rink offers membership in both short-term as well as long-term basis.
You May Also Book - Tour Packages From Delhi To Shimla
Shimla Package From Chennai
9. Visit Chadwick WaterfallSearching for what to do in Shimla? Then visiting Chadwick falls is one of the famous Shimla things to do. Located in the Glen Forests, Chadwick Waterfall is a popular tourist site in Shimla. Flowing from a height of 1586 meters, the falls are surrounded by pine and deodars and carries the chilled water of the Himalayas. You can trek to the falls from Summer Hill or simply take a vehicle.
Either way, the scenery is unforgettable. It is also a preferred spot for picnics and day camps, and a water spot for the local wildlife. So, unless you wish to meet a leopard, it is advisable to head back before sundown.
Location: New Summer Hill, Shimla, Himachal Pradesh - 171005.
Highlights: The place was originally famous as the ‘Chidku Jhaar’ where Jhaar stands for waterfall and in the local dialect ‘Chidku’ means the bird. It is so-called because the waterfall is at such a height that only a bird can reach to the top. Britishers gave it the name ‘Chadwick Falls’.
Cost: No entry fees
Must Book & Checkout - Tour Package From Chandigarh To Shimla
Kolkata To Shimla Tour Packages
10. Take Blessings at Jakhoo TempleJakhoo temple is a famous religious tourist spot and coming here is naturally one of the most popular activities to do in Shimla. It is located in the Jhaku hill, amidst the dense forests of Deodar with the Shivalik ranges in the background and it is one of the famous things to see in Shimla.
It is believed that there are footprints of Hanuman when he came here to take sanjeevani booti for Lord Lakshman.
Location: Jakhu Temple Park, Jakhu, Shimla, Himachal Pradesh.
Highlights: ancient temple, scenic views of Sanjauli and Shivalik hills.
Cost: No entry fees.
Know More: Best Time of the Year to Visit Shimla