Ranakpur is a small but beautiful village that can be found near the Desuri Tehsil in Sadri town, in the Pali district of Rajasthan. It is between the two famous cities of Udaipur and Jodhpur on the western side of the Aravalli Mountain Ranges.
Ranakpur is the most ideal destination for nature lovers. This picturesque and tranquil village is set amidst lush greenery and is surrounded by the misty blue Aravalli mountains. The abundance of nature in the wildlife sanctuaries in Ranakpur along with valleys, waterfalls, fields and lakes creates a mesmerising natural effect.
Ranakpur is famous for its magnificent collection of Jain temples dedicated to the Tirthankaras. The most famous Jain Temple reflects the epitome of the architectural brilliance of Jain artistry and sculpturing. Some of the other notable temples in the area are the Parasnath Temple and the Adinatha Temple. Besides the spiritual enrichment that you can experience in this place, you can also indulge in wolf-spotting at the Jaba Wolf Point and enjoy a glorious sunset at the Ranakpur Dam.
There are numerous activities that you can indulge in that will guarantee that you have a memorable time in Ranakpur. You can go trekking in Roopnmata or enjoy a thrilling Jeep Safari at the Ranakpur Wildlife Sanctuary. Some of the most sought-after activity spots are near the many waterfalls in Ranakpur. Crocodile-spotting is another exciting activity that you can indulge in here.
You can expect tropical weather conditions in Ranakpur. The summers are usually hot and dry with June, July and May being the hottest months. Temperatures may soar to 38-39 degrees Celsius during summer. Rainfall is scarce and the annual precipitation is approximately 55 cm only. Winter season is the best time to visit Ranakpur. The weather is ideal for tours, treks, wildlife spotting and picnics in the area.
Recommendations for Ranakpur
Ranakpur Jain Temple
One of the most beautiful Ranakpur sightseeing spots is the Ranakpur Jain Temple. It nestles in the Sadri town of Rajasthan state. This architectural masterpiece stands as an epitome of asceticism and non-violence.The intrinsic carvings done on the pillars and walls of this temple also captures the attention of the visitors. Another attention capturing thing at this temple are its 1444 pillars that are located throughout the temple. Explore the temple thoroughly as it would only take one around an hour.Location: Desuri, Ranakpur Rd, Sadri, Rajasthan.Timing: 6:30am–8:15pm.Entry fee: Only applicable for the professional camera.
Ranakpur Jungle Safari
One of the renowned places to visit in Ranakpur is the Ranakpur Jungle Safari that will offer you the opportunity to catch a glance on the beautiful landscapes of the location. One can treat their eyes with colourful birds, a variety of animals and flora that is worth setting your eyes on.Tour the location on your jungle safari with the professionals who will help you know about the extravagant residents of this forest. Feel free to click captures of the mesmerising views of the animals that would cater to a beautiful memory in future for you.Location: Ranakpur, Rajasthan.
This town that is situated 25 kilometres from Ranakpur resides Hindu temples of God Shiva, Navi Mata and Lord Hanuman marking its position in the most spiritual places to visit in Ranakpur. Another attraction with life-size statues of the goddesses Riddhi and Siddhi is the temple of Gajanand.The idols of Bahiron and Hanuman guide the statue in the main shrine. In a close by location amidst the hills, a temple dedicated to Parsuram Mahadeo is also worth visiting. A renowned mosque, Masjid desuri is also located at this pristine location is also a spot visited majorly by the tourists.Location: Desuri, Ranakpur, Rajasthan.
Muchhal Mahavir Temple
Dedicated to Lord Mahavir, this temple is the best place to explore while ranakpur sightseeing. This Jain temple is seated in Ghanerao, District Pali in Rajasthan state in India. This temple is seated on the route to Kumbhalgarh from Falna.Another highlight of this temple is the fair that is organised at the temple on every thirteenth day of the month of Chaitra every year. You would be astonished to know that this temple resides a statue of Lord Shiva with a moustache. Many visitors also buy traditional costumes from the shops nearby on their visit to the temple.Location: Ghanerao Road, Gurha Bhopsingh, Rajasthan.Timing: 5:30 AM - 10:30 PM.
Located at a distance of 6 kilometres from Ranakpur, Narlai marks for other exquisite places to visit in Ranakpur. This small village is renowned among the travellers for its array of extravagant Jain and Hindu Temples.It is seated in the heart of the Aravalli Hills encircled with great lush greenery and ancient monuments worth visiting. Many heritage hotels are also located in this area in order to offer the visitors a true sense of what the culture and tradition of the place is.Location: Narlai, Rajasthan.
Known for offering some of the best sceneries of sunset, Ranakpur Dam is one of the worth exploring places to visit in Ranakpur. It is surrounded by dense forest which makes you soak in the beauty of nature.People love to visit this place mostly in the early morning and evenings which is the best time for its exploration. The chirping birds and tranquillity spread in the forest soothes one’s mind. Many photographers can also be seen at this spot due to the perfect backdrop. It is one of the oldest dams in Rajasthan that is still a major attraction among the tourists.Location: Ranakpur main rd, Ranakpur India.
Sadri is a small town in Pali district that has found its place in the list of best places to visit in Ranakpur. This location is of utmost religious importance to the Jain religion as many temples of their Lords are located here.Some of them are Ranakpur Jain Temple, Shri Parshuram Mahadev Mandir, Shri Vokkal Mata Temple, Shri Mahakali Temple, Shri Parshuram Mahadev Temple and others. Other major tourist attractions that the visitors in the city can explore are Kumbhalgarh National Forest, Ghanerao Rawla, Narlai Rawla, etc.Location: Sadri, District Pali, Ranakpur, Rajasthan.
Surya Narayan Temple
The breath-taking Surya Narayan temple is one of the best places to visit in Ranakpur. The stunning carvings everywhere on the temple’s structure make it a perfect spot for architectural and photography lovers.It is dedicated to the Sun God of Hindu Mythology. The temple also showcases a sculpture where the sun god is riding a chariot with seven horses. Another temple dedicated to Goddess Amba also resides in the premises of this temple. It attracts tons of devotees every year apart from the visitors who explore this temple for its structural beauty.Location: RJ SH 32, Ranakpur, Rajasthan.
Popular Related Destinations
I booked Aranyawas stay from Thrillophilia and the property looks so beautiful, calm & serene. One can enjoy nature at it's best. Comfortable rooms, pleasent staff & good food. A must visit place where one can have a completely relaxing, refreshing & rejuvenating holiday.
A beautiful resort nestled in the jungle, surrounding area is picturesque and the resort itself has some lovely rooms, with spacious balconies. Various activities were arranged like safari, trekking, and bird watching. I would highly recommend it for nature lovers you will love to stay here. Also look forward to book it from Thrillophilia as they have best discounted price online. I have compared price on other platforms but I have preferred this because they provide activities as well with the stays.
People Also Ask About Ranakpur
Which are the best places to visit in Ranakpur?
1. Ranakpur Jain Temple: The magnificent Jain Temple is the main tourist attraction in Ranakpur. Situated in the Pali district of Rajasthan, this is one of 5 major pilgrimage centres for Shwetambhara Jains.
Spread over a vast area of 4,500 square yards, this temple features 29 elaborately decorated halls and a deity of the famous Tirthankara Rishabhanatha. This temple is also known as Chaturmukha Dharana Vihara. The colour changing columns change their colours from golden to pale blue as the day progresses and the light of the sun is reflected from various angles.
Location: Desuri, Ranakpur Rd, Sadri, Rajasthan 306702, India.
Timings: Monday to Sunday (7:00 am – 7:00 pm).
2. Surya Narayan Temple: The Surya Narayan temple is one of the most visited places in Ranakpur. This stone temple is dedicated to the Sun God and is visited by the devotees of Lord Surya Narayana.
The main attraction inside the temple is the artistic murals featured in circular structures. The temple also features a sculpted idol of Lord Surya riding a chariot driven by seven horses. The Amba Mata Temple situated nearby is also extensively visited by devotees and tourists.
Location: RJ SH 32, Ranakpur, Rajasthan 306702, India.
Timings: Monday to Sunday (6:00 am - 7:00 pm).
3. Muchhal Mahavir Temple: The Muchhal Mahavir Temple is one of the best examples of Jain temple architecture. This temple is situated within the Kumbhalgarh Sanctuary, in the Pali District of Rajasthan. It is a marvellous temple that is dedicated to Lord Mahavir - an avatar of Lord Shiva.
The temple also features two beautifully carved elephants that are placed in a guarding position at the entrance gate. You can also visit the Garasia Tribal Village located near the temple. This village is well known for its bright, colourful costumes and unique culture.
Location: Kumbhalgarh Sanctuary, Pali District, Rajasthan 306702, India.
Timings: Monday- Sunday (6:00 am - 8:00 pm).
4. Ranakpur Dam: One of the most serene and delightful places to visit in Ranakpur is the Ranakpur Dam. After exploring the village Ranakpur, you can come to this place and relax and unwind and watch a glorious sunset with your loved ones. This place is ideal for bird watching and a picturesque destination for avid photographers.
Location: Near Kumbhalgarh Wildlife Sanctuary In Sadri, Pali District, Rajasthan 306702, India.
Timings: Monday to Sunday (5:30 am - 6:30 pm).
5. Sadri: Situated in the Pali district, the small town of Sadri is a popular tourist destination in Ranakpur. Sadri is known as a popular place of worship and is visited by Jain devotees all year round. The famous Jain Temple and Shri Parashuram Mahadev Mandir are situated in this region.
The other major attractions are the Varaha Avatar Temple and Chintamani Parasnath Temple. Sadri has 14 other ancient Jain Temples which include the Shri Mahakali Temple and the Vokkal Mata Temple. The town used to be under the reign of the Sindhal Rathores and now it works as a gateway to Marwar from Mewar.
Location: Pali District, Rajasthan 306702, India.
Timings: Monday to Sunday (8:00 am - 8:00 pm).
6. Narlai: Narlai is a small village that has become a popular tourist destination situated at a distance of approximately 6 km from Ranakpur. This hamlet is known for its famous Hindu and Jain temples. The Jain temple is dedicated to Lord Adinath, who, in the Jain faith, is known as the first Jain Tirthankara.
This temple is a fine example of marvellous Jain-temple architecture. The walls of the temple are adorned with artistic murals depicting historical events. The other striking feature of Narlai is the number of deep wells dug in order to supply water to the locals.
Location: Ranakpur, Rajasthan 306702, India.
Timings: Monday to Sunday (8:00 am - 7:00 pm).
Which are the famous temples in Ranakpur?
1. Ranakpur Jain Temple: The Ranakpur Jain Temple, also known as the Chaturmukha Dharana Vihara, was built in the 15th century. Constructed with light-coloured marble, it is one of the finest examples of Jain-temple architecture. The majestic three-storeyed temple comprises 80 domes and 29 artistically decorated halls. It is dedicated to the famous Tirthankara Rishabhanatha.
2. Muchhal Mahavir Temple: The Muchhal Mahavir Temple is situated near the Kumbhalgarh Sanctuary, in the Pali district of Rajasthan. Built in the 10th century, this famous temple is dedicated to Lord Mahavir. Here, the idol of Lord Mahavir is depicted with a moustache, which is unique and unheard of anywhere else. The temple also features two beautifully sculpted statues of elephants at the entrance.
3. Surya Narayan Temple: The magnificent Surya Narayana Temple is believed to have been built in the 13th century and is dedicated to the Sun God. There is a famous sculpture depicting the Sun God riding a chariot pulled by 7 horses inside the temple. It is also known for its artistic murals and sculptures in circular structures.
4. Sadri: Sadri is a small town that is a famous place of worship amongst Jain devotees. You will find a number of important temples in this region such as the Parshuram Mahadev Temple, Varaha Avatar Temple, Chintamani Parasnath Temple, along with 14 other Jain temples.
How to reach Ranakpur?
- By Air: Dabok Airport is the nearest airport in Udaipur, which is connected to Mumbai and Delhi with frequent and regular flights. You can easily reach Ranakpur by hiring buses and taxis from the airport.
- By Train: The nearest railway station from Ranakpur is the Udaipur Railway Station. You can hire taxis and buses from the railway station to reach your destination.
- By Road: You can take buses from the Udaipur main Bus Stand to your destination in Ranakpur.
What is the best time to visit Ranakpur?
Winter, which lasts from October to March, is generally considered the best time to visit Ranakpur. The temperature remains cool and mild during this time of the year, varying between 11 degrees to 28 degrees Celsius.
It is also a great time to tour the natural beauty and the many temples of Ranakpur on foot, as you can avoid the scorching heat of the summer sun.
What is famous in Ranakpur?
Ranakpur is famous for a number of ancient and historical Jain temples. All the temples reflect marvellous Jain temple-architecture and intricate craftsmanship that is rare and unique.
One of the most famous temples in this area is the Jain Temple in Pali, which is frequented by tourists throughout the year and is an important pilgrimage site for Jains.
How old is Ranakpur Jain temple?
The Jain Temple in Ranakpur was built in the 15th Century by a Jain businessman named Seth Dharna Shah with the aid of Rana Kumbha.
Is Ranakpur worth visiting?
Yes, Ranakpur is one of the best places to visit while touring Udaipur. This small town is a cradle of Jain culture. The Jain temples are not only a visual delight, but also provide deep insight to Jainism, its architectural brilliance and its magnificent sculpture and artworks.
How far is Ranakpur from Udaipur?
The distance between Ranakpur from Udaipur is 94 km on road. Frequent trains and buses travel between these two places, making the commute to and from Ranakpur to the city of Udaipur very easy and convenient. You can also avail buses, taxis and private cars from cities like jodhpur and Jaipur if you are up for a long road trip.
How far is Kumbhalgarh from Ranakpur?
The distance between Kumbhalgarh from Ranakpur is 33.4 kms if you are travelling on road via RJ SH 32. Another alternative route to Kumbhalgarh from Ranakpur is via Kumbhalgarh Fort Road, which entails a distance of 44.6 kms.
Which are the best places to stay in Ranakpur?
1. Ranakpur Hill Resort: The Ranakpur Hill Resort is one of the best retreats featuring exquisitely furnished rooms and amenities like a swimming pool, spa, bar, business centre and children activities centre. Along with a well-equipped breakfast buffet and a coffee shop, you can also sample a number of local dishes at their in-house restaurant.
2. Mana Resort, Ranakpur: Situated at Sadri, the Mana resort is known for its heart-warming hospitality and extremely comfortable rooms. The finely furnished Deluxe rooms feature flat-screen TVs, tea and coffee making appliances and a minibar.
3. Ranakpur Safari Resort: The Safari Resort in Ranakpur is the best place to relax and rejuvenate with your loved ones. With charming and extremely comfortable interiors, this resort offers efficient services, an on-site restaurant serving mouth-watering delicacies, a swimming pool and outdoor sports like horse riding.
4. Maharani Bagh Resort: Maharani Bagh Resort is undoubtedly a dream retreat for any visitor. Built in the 19th century, this heritage resort features rooms with classic furniture and vintage interiors. Other amenities include a large, outdoor swimming pool, an on-site restaurant, a chic bar, meeting rooms and a professional tennis court.
More Things to do in Ranakpur
Popular Nearby Places Around Ranakpur