Osian is a desert town located at around sixty-five kilometers drive from Jodhpur. It is the headquarters for Osian tehsil and Bikaner, Jaipur and Jodhpur are the nearest cities from this ancient town.
It is renowned for its rugged landscapes and glittering sand dunes that are a visual treat for the eyes. The vast layers of sand, desert plants, and gushing wind make it one of the most breathtaking destinations for the visitors. Located at the edge of the Thar desert, you can experience the remote desert life over here.
Osian City is also known as the Khajuraho of Rajasthan owing to the presence of tons of breathtaking temples that are renowned for their architectural magnificence and stunning design. Sachiya Mata Temple and Mahavira Temples are the most popular temples in Osian City, where you can seek spiritual enlightenment and bathe in the sense of divinity. You can also visit Harihara Temples that are dedicated to Lord Harihara and are resplendent with sculptures.
There are tons of enthralling activities that you can enjoy in Osian City to raise your adrenaline level and create the best memory of your life. Camping under the twinkling stars in the Thar Desert is one such adrenaline rushing activity that you must try if you're in Osian City. You can also enjoy a jeep safari that will give you a chance to explore the hidden areas of the desert and meet the locals to know about their traditions and culture.
Osian city is known for having extreme temperatures, so it's best to plan a visit to this ancient city between November to February, during which the temperature becomes extremely pleasant, and you can enjoy all kinds of outdoor activities. During January, the temperature drops down to around 0 degrees leading to extremely cold weather.
Recommendations for Osian
Newly Added Osian Experience
It was an amazing experience. I just loved it. Thank you Thrillophilia for arranging such an amazing tour.
We reached OSIAN in a Government bus as road was flooded due to torrential rain.
Taxi dropped us midway.
The tour operator guided us well in availing bus.
We were picked in a Jeep and driven to desert.
The camel ride was thoroughly enjoying in the drizzle.
Demeanour of camel controller is appreciable.
Hats off to the trip amidst rain falling.
People Also Ask About Osian
What are the best things to do in Osian?
1. Jeep Safari: Head out in a four-wheeler jeep through the majestic Thar desert located near the desert town of Osian for a fun ride. While riding along the sand dunes in an open jeep, you can relish the splendid sight of the Thar Desert, and you can also interact with the local tribes living there. During the jeep safari tour, you'll also come across many small villages where the people live with minimum facilities.
Location: Thar Desert, Rajasthan
Price: Rs 1890 per adult
2. Camping: Have the best camping experience of your life amidst the gleaming sands of the Thar Desert from where you can have a breathtaking view of the star-studded night skies. You can also huddle around the warm glow of the bonfire and share your favorite stories while having some roasted marshmallows as you enjoy camping over here! You'll find here some of the best campsites that offer all the basic amenities such as bed, mattress, barbeque and music player.
Location: Thar Desert, Rajasthan
Price: Rs 2650 per adult
3. Camel Safari: Have an expansive view of the Thar Desert as you enjoy a desert safari ride in Osian city while sitting on the back of double-humped camels. You can also have a rare view of desert life and see the sunset from a vantage point of the desert area. Once you're done with the camel safari ride, you can enjoy traditional dance and musical performances, and you can also have a barbeque dinner.
Location: Thar Desert, Rajasthan
Price: Rs 400 per adult
What is the best time to visit Osian?
November to February is considered to be the best time to visit Osian as during this time of the year the temperature becomes extremely pleasant, and you can enjoy all kinds of outdoor activities.
How to reach Osian?
- By Air: Osian doesn't have its own airport. Jodhpur is the nearest airport to Osian that receives flights from all the major cities of India. Many taxis and services are available outside the airport that will drop you further.
- By Train: Jodhpur, which is sixty-one kilometer away from Osian, is the nearest railway station to this city. Taxis can be hired directly from Jodhpur Railway station to reach Osian.
- By Road: You can reach Oasis by state-owned buses that frequently run from Jodhpur.
Is Osian worth visiting?
Yes, Osian is extremely worth visiting owing to its rugged landscapes, tons of enthralling activities, and splendid attractions. It is known as the Khajuraho of Rajasthan owing to the presence of tons of breathtaking temples like Sachiya Mata Temple and Mahavira Temples that offer the visitors spiritual enlightenment. You can also enjoy activities here like camel safari, jeep safari, and camping.
How far is Osian from Jodhpur?
Osian's distance from Jodhpur is around 68 Km by road, and you can avail of various travel options like bus and cab to cover this distance.
What are the best public transport modes to commute around Osian?
Osian being a desert town, doesn't offer many options to commute around the city. While traveling within the sands of the desert, camel is the unique and most preferred option. Otherwise, you can opt for rickshaws or local taxis to commute around the city.
Which are the best resorts to stay in Osian?
Osian has many resorts to stay at, most of which are beautifully designed in its original Rajputana style. You can enjoy a unique experience by staying in one of these lovely resorts in Osian:
- Osian Resort Camp
- Samsara luxury resort and camp
- Karni Bagh – The Heritage resort
- The Osian sand dunes resort and camp
Where can one enjoy Camel safari in Osian?
You cannot miss a camel safari in Osian and there are plenty of places to try them. It is the most common activity of the region. The safaris cost as less as INR 500 per person and can vary according to the place of the desert and duration. You will have a guide escorting you through your tour and thus safety is assured. Among the numerous options, the best place to try the camel safari here would be at the Real Osian Camel Safari.
Which are the famous Temples in Osian?
1. Sachiya Mata Temple: Known to be the sanctum of belief and divinity, Sachiya Mata Temple is one of the most famous temples in Osian city. It is dedicated to the wife of Indra Sachi Mata and exhibits medieval architecture.
2. Mahavira Temple: This is a Jain temple dedicated to Lord Mahavira, and it is renowned for its breathtaking architecture and stunning design.
3. Surya Temple: If you're seeking spiritual enlightenment, then you should definitely visit Surya Temple that is dedicated to Sun God and comprises the idol of Lord Surya.
4. Harihara Temples: Dedicated to Lord Harihara, Osian city has three Harihara Temples that are adorned with beautiful sculptures.
What are the best desert safaris in Osian?
There is a plethora of desert safaris to choose from during your visit to Osian as it is a desert town. It is also the most common activity there and thus, it is always better to book your tours in advance. There are several tour operators offering different safari experiences. The top two best desert jeep safaris in Osian are:
- Desert Jeep safari – INR 3000 each person, 2 hours.
- Dinner with Folk dance Safari
Popular Nearby Places Around Osian