Activities to Do in IgatpuriWith the presence of a myriad of exciting things to do in Igatpuri, visitors have plenty of opportunities to enjoy adrenaline-raising or fun-filled experiences. Blessed with Mother Nature, Igatpuri attracts tourists from all over the world for indulging in breathtaking water and land activities. Nestled amidst the verdant Western Ghats, valleys, and Sahyadri peaks, this quaint hill station boasts of a pristine setting where you can plan a family picnic or opt for night lakeside camping.
The very first thing that one must do on a tour of this nature's paradise is exploring its natural wonders and ancient marvels. Visit The International Centre for Vipassana meditation, Dhammagiri for seeking inner resilience, or offer prayers to seek blessings at the Amruteshwar Temple. Explore Tringalwadi Fort and Igatpuri Cemetery to learn about the city's heritage, whereas to enjoy the natural beauty, it has Camel Valley, several waterfalls, and much more.
Still, wondering what to do in Igatpuri? With so much natural beauty all around, Igatpuri is perfect to have a refreshing staycation or enjoy a break from the city's concrete jungle life. There is a range of adventurous activities like trekking, hiking, mountain climbing, white water rafting, etc., that make the vacation full of fun, thrills, and excitement. The place has dramatic and exciting opportunities for all sorts and ages of travelers and lets them have a lifetime experience.
People Also Ask About Igatpuri Things To Do
What are the best things to do in Igatpuri?
1. Explore ancient structures with a heritage tour: With several old forts, ancient temples, and a monument, visiting these architect marvels tops the list of things to do in Igatpuri. Explore the city's heritage by visiting famous landmarks like Tringalwadi Fort, Ghatandevi Temple, Amruteshwar Temple, Igatpuri Cemetery, etc., and discover its rich past, culture, and more.
- Timings:8:00 AM - 6:00 PM (approx.)
2. Visit temples and offer prayers: With the grand and artistic Amruteshwar Temple and Ghatandevi Mandir located in the city, Igatpuri is pilgrimage heaven for spirituality seekers and Hindu devotees. These are also known for their marvelous architecture and serene surroundings.
These draw visitors from all across India and deserve a visit for being ancient and classic. Visit these ancient temples to pray and seek blessings or to be amused by their elegance and charisma.
3. Indulge in water sports: Are you an adventure buff and thinking about what to do in Igatpuri to test your stamina and adrenaline? Fret not, as Igatpuri offers a range of water sports and adventures to test your boldness and adrenaline.
The Talegaon Lake and Tringalwadi Lake provide the perfect settings for enjoying swimming, tubing, boating, and kayaking, whereas, Vaitarna Lake lets you enjoy great levels of excitement and thrills with white water rafting.
4. Reach new heights with Hiking/Trekking: For adventure enthusiasts who like to achieve and explore new heights by trekking and hiking, there are a plethora of things to do in Igatpuri. It has various well-paved trails that are not only fun to follow but are full of natural beauty. You can opt for Kalsubai Peak Trek, Ratangarh & Sandhan Valley Trek, Harihar Fort Trek, or Bitangad Trek, as per your preferences, strength, and likings.
5. Enjoy a unique stay experience with Lakeside Night Camping: Igatpuri has pristine and azure Talegaon Lake, Tringalwadi Lake, and Vaitarna Lake, which provide a beautiful ambiance and setting for night camping. These campsites let you enjoy an extraordinary experience amidst nature with a tent stay under the star-lit sky. Enjoy serene surroundings, music, campfire, stargazing, captivating sunset/sunrise, fun games, and much more with a night camp away from the hustle and bustle of the city.
- Price:Starts from INR 1,099 per person.
6. Attain spirituality with a visit to Dhammagiri: Enroll in a 10-day course offered by the Vipassana International Academy or Dhammagiri that teaches the ancient meditation technique, Vipassana. The place is recognized as the largest meditation center in the world and draws people from across the globe to attain spirituality and connect with the inner self.
The large Golden Pagoda, the central theme of Dhammagiri, is also a famous landmark of the city and amuses visitors for its charm, beauty, and architect. Visiting Dhammagiri and learning this unique art of meditation is one of the most sought-after things to do in Igatpuri that teaches the art of breathing, soothes your mind and soul, helps mental purification, and lets you understand the truth of impermanence.
- Location:Dhamma Giri, Dist, Igatpuri, Maharashtra 422403
- Timings:10:00 am to 5:00 pm
7. Create memorable moments with a picnic: Plan a picnic with your family or friends to gorgeous spots like Vaitarna Dam, Darna Dam, Bhatsa River Valley, Camel Valley, The Five Waterfalls, Vihigaon (Ashoka) Waterfall, Talegaon Lake, Tringalwadi Lake, etc. These places offer beautiful surroundings and lush landscapes to have pleasurable moments with your loved ones, partner, or friends. Here, you will get plenty of opportunities to click selfies or capture the best family pictures with nature in the backdrop.
8. Go shopping around the alleys: It is said that no trip is complete without buying a specialty of the area and Igatpuri is no exception. The hill station has very limited options for souvenir shopping but don't miss checking out the Vipassana Research Institute’s bookshop for books on Vipassana meditation available in different languages, picture postcards, and many other souvenir items.
You will also find small shops selling almonds, cashew nuts, locally made chocolates, local spices, local snacks & namkeens like Bhakarwadi, etc., that you can take back home.
9. Relish the flavors of Maharashtrian cuisine: With a vast variety of authentic Maharashtrian, South Indian, North Indian, Chinese, and Continental food recipes on offer, foodies have an abundance of choices to satiate their cravings and taste buds.
The town is also known for its tasty and spicy seafood and houses several food stalls and restaurants serving street food like vada pav, misal pav, pav bhaji, etc. It is also famous for its fish recipes, chicken masala, deserts like Shrikhand, hot Masala Malai milk, and many more varieties to make your trip more delightful and tempting.
Planning A Trip To Igatpuri, Checkout Our Best Selling Igatpuri Tour Packages Now!
What are the adventurous things to do in Igatpuri?
1. Trek to the Tringalwadi Fort: Amongst the most adventurous things to do in Igatpuri, trekking to the ancient Tringalwadi Fort lets you touch an elevation of 3000 ft. You will climb mountains and walk through rough terrains to reach the summit offering panoramic views.
2. Hiking to Kalsubai Peak: Known as the Everest of Maharashtra, climbing up to this highest peak in the state leaves the hikers with exceptional memories of rough terrains, rocky patches, and beautiful vistas.
3. Trekking to the Kulanggad Fort: Trekking to the elevation of about 4800 ft. is exhilarating as needs physical fitness. Reaching the summit is worth every pain and effort as the views of Kalsubai, Dhakoba, and Naneghat peaks are extraordinary.
4. Lakeside Camping: Enjoy a nature retreat and adventurous experience with a night lakeside camping that lets you spend your night right under the sky in a tent. It also offers a fun-filled time with music, dance, bonfire, food, captivating sunset/sunrise views, stargazing, and much more.
5. Water Sports: Feel rush in your adrenaline with hair-raising adventure things to do in Igatpuri like white water rafting, boating, tubing, swimming, kayaking, etc., and test your stamina and courage.
Checkout & Book: Igatpuri Camping
What are the best Places to visit in Igatpuri?
1. Tringalwadi Fort: An ancient and heritage fort, it is believed to be constructed in the 10th century and is located at an elevation of approx. 3000 ft. It is a center of attraction not only for history buffs but hikers, trekkers, and adventure enthusiasts also love visiting this place to test their adrenaline. It is an architectural marvel with its unique design of a turban and must be on the top of your list of what to do in Igatpuri.
2. Vaitarna Dam: The chief source of water and electricity for Mumbai, it is also a famous picnic spot for the natives of Mumbai, Pune, and Nashik. Surrounded by the awe-striking Western Ghats, it offers verdant scenery and a perfect ambiance for enjoying some memorable moments with family or friends.
3. Vihigaon Waterfall: Known for its cascading 120 feet fall, the place is complete with natural beauty and a tranquil environment. It is the perfect place to enjoy a getaway from the city's monotonous life and get engaged in thrilling activities like rappelling. Hikers also love to climb up to the falls through the lush woods and have a remarkable experience.
4. Sandhan Valley: Known as Maharashtra’s Grand Canyon, it is close to the Bhandardara region and offers a challenging trek. This place is rich in picturesque rock formations and offers panoramic views of the lush valley and Alang, Kulang, Ajoba, Madan, and Ratangad mountain ranges.
5. Vipassana Center: Founded by S. N. Goenka, this center is a mutt teaching a unique art of meditation called Vipassana. It conducts 10-day courses that attract spirituality seekers from across the world. Its large golden pagoda is also a famous landmark of Igatpuri.
6. Amruteshwar Temple: This 9th Century temple is dedicated to Lord Shiva and attracts devotees and tourists for its religious significance, marvelous architecture, and heritage values.
Click Here to Book Now: Sandhan Valley Trek & Kalsubai Sunrise Trek
What are the best things to do in Igatpuri in monsoon?
1. Visiting Dams and Rivers: The Bhavali Dam, Vaitarna Dam, Darna Dam offer gurgling river views amidst lush surroundings and a perfect setting to witness the sunset over the waters while munching on street food or snacks.
2. Enjoying Nature's Bounty: Visiting Camel River Valley and Bhatsa River Valleys are top things to do in Igatpuri during monsoons that offer the undulating views of mist-covered mountain ranges, lush valleys, and azure rivers.
3. Admiring the Cascades: Surrounded by the dense woods, the Vihigaon and Vaitarna falls are perfect spots to enjoy a memorable monsoon getaway in Igatpuri.
4. Visiting Harishchandragad Wildlife Sanctuary: Visiting this wildlife sanctuary during the monsoon must be on your bucket list of what to do in Igatpuri. Spot a diverse variety of colorful butterflies, beetles, Kingfishers, birds, etc., and be delighted.
5. Driving over the Karoli Ghat Road: Enjoy a picturesque and pleasant drive to Karoli Ghat during the monsoons and be amazed by the spectacular streams and waterfalls across the route.
Click Here & Book: Kalsubai Camping
What is Igatpuri known for?
Located in the Sahyadri Hills of Western Ghats, Igatpuri is known for its beautiful landscapes and extraordinary alluring views. It is a paradise for nature lovers, adventure enthusiasts, and history buffs as it houses old forts, majestic mountains, thundering waterfalls, and much more.
What is the best time to visit Igatpuri?
The best time to visit Igatpuri is during monsoons (June to September) for its bounty of nature as well as during winters (November to February) for pleasant temperatures and climatic conditions for outdoor activities and adventures. However, summers also attract visitors to enjoy respite from scorching heat.
How to reach Igatpuri?
Igatpuri is well connected via road from all major cities like Mumbai, Pune and Nashik, while nearest airport is Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport 99 km from Igatpuri and the nearest rail head is Igatpuri Railway Station.
Can we do camping in Igatpuri?
Yes, you can enjoy a marvellous camping experience in Igatpuri as it possesses beautiful lakes offering a perfect setting for night as well as day camping.
What are the best treks in Igatpuri?
1. Kalsubai Trek: With an easy to moderate level trail, the Kalsubai Peak is the highest in Maharashtra, and the summit touches 1646 meters offering breathtaking views of Sahyadri ranges.
2. Tringalwadi Fort Trek: One of the most exciting things to do in Igatpuri, trek to the Tringalwadi Fort Trek is about 3 km, easy grade, and lets you touch a height of 3000 ft.
3. Avandha Fort Trek: A difficult trek touching a height of about 4,300 feet, it has rock-cut caves and five water reservoirs. The trek starts from the Girwadi and Kadwa Colony and offers beautiful views of Aad Fort, Patta fort, and Mhasoba hills.
4. Karoli Ghat Trek: A medium to difficult level trek, it offers stunning views of Konkan Kada from Harish Chandragad and is also loved by trekkers.
5. Sandhan Valley Trek: One of the most challenging treks, it is still preferred for its picturesque views of Alang, Kulang, Ajoba, Madan, and Ratangad ranges.
Checkout & Book: Harihar Fort Trek
What are the best Waterfalls in Igatpuri?
1. Vihigaon Waterfall: Amongst the best places to visit in Igatpuri, this waterfall amazes by its pristine beauty and a cascade that falls from 1,000 feet. It is also a famous picnic spot for families and friends and also offers rappelling like water adventure.
2. The Five Waterfalls: Located near Ghatandevi in Camel Valley, five cascades fall from a single source presenting exclusive scenery. It is amongst the most serene points of attraction for tourists visiting Igatpuri.
3. Bhavali waterfall: Located near the Bhavali Dam, it is a lovely location to spend time with family or friends. It is also a gorgeous picnic destination for its pristine surroundings and peaceful ambiance.
4. Vaitarna Waterfall: An offbeat location in Igatpuri, to reach this waterfall one has to do some trekking and climbing of rocky terrain. But the views and surroundings at the fall are worth every effort and offer plenty of opportunities to click selfies or natural beauty.
What are the best forts to visit in Igatpuri?
1. Tringalwadi Fort: Settled at an elevation of 3,000 feet, it was built in the 10th century and is popular amongst hikers and nature lovers. It also has a small Hanuman Temple and some age-old caves.
2. Kulanggad Fort: The highest fort (4800 feet) in Maharashtra, it was constructed to guard the Nashik-Kalyan ancient commercial road. It presents a scenic view of Kalusbai, Dhakoba, and Naneghat ranges.
3. Bitangad Fort: At 3,500 feet, it was used to keep watch over the city. It offers night camping options to enjoy mesmerizing views of the Kalsubai range.
4. Avandha Fort: Aundha fort serves as a pinnacle and has 4-5 cisterns and an entrance carved on a huge rock.