About Sathodi Falls
Located in Uttar Kannada region in the Yellapur district, Sathodi Waterfall is a magnificent rectangularly shaped waterfall that attracts tourists from all over the country on a regular basis. The picturesque beauty of the falls is a sight to behold, as water falls from a staggering height of 15 m and collects in a clear blue pool underneath.
As you enter the jungle, you will see several trails leading to the waterfall, and you have to walk quite a bit before you can catch a glimpse of this place. There is a picnic area in front of the waterfall from where you can get a partially obstructed view of Sathodi waterfall. The trail ahead leading to the water stream of the falls is blocked by huge rocks and bushes, so it is quite impossible to get really close to it.
The falls are fed by many rivers that empty into the Kallarmane Ghat in the northern Kannada region. The falls finally empty into the River Kali, through Kodasalli dam. Surrounded by the lush greenery of the Western Ghats and evergreen forests, the milky white waters of the falls offer a soothing contrast to the emerald natural beauty all around it. Additionally, the rock formations of the fall give way to a spectacular enclosure, making the entire landscape quite dreamy and dramatic.
The water pool below the falls is perfectly safe for taking a cool dip, so don’t forget to carry your swimming clothes with you when you make a trip to the Sathodi waterfall.
How to Reach Sathodi Falls
1. By road – the closest bus station to Sathodi Waterfall is Yellapur which is 32 km away. You can take a KSRTC bus from Bangalore to Yellapur. The distance between these two places is 423 km. you can also hire a cab from Bangalore to Yellapur. To reach the falls from Yellapur, you can hire a cab or auto.
2. By Air – the nearest airport to yellapur is Hubli, which is 68 km away. Hubli is very well connected to the airports in Bangalore and Mysore. From Hubli, you can take a taxi or cab to reach Yellapur, and then another cab or auto to the waterfalls.
3. By Train – the railway station nearest to yellapur is Hubli, which is 68 km away. The railway station is very well connected to Bangalore railway station. You can take a bus from Hubli to Yellapur, and then from yellapur to Sathodi waterfall.
Best Time to Visit Sathodi Falls
The best time to visit the waterfall is between October and March, and the peak season when tourists are seen at maximum is between December and February. This is because it gets quite cool and pleasant during these months, and you will be able to explore the region quite comfortably.
During the summer months, that is, between April and June, it gets quite hot in the region. The scorching heat of the sun prevents any sightseeing activities. On the other hand, during the rainy season, that is, between July and September, this region sees heavy rainfall.
That is why, it is not easy to traverse the trails in the forest to reach the falls. Moreover, it is quite dangerous to travel in this region during monsoons, as there may be flooding and uprooting of trees.That is why, it is recommended to plan your visit to this place during winters.
What Not to Miss at Sathodi Falls
Things to Do at Sathodi Waterfall
Here are some of the most fun things to do near the falls:
1. Trekking – the falls are located in the middle of a tropical forest and the path to the falls itself is covered with rocks and bushes. The rough geographical terrain of this place also makes it perfect for trekking and climbing. If you are an adventure enthusiast, it may be the perfect place for you to try your hand at trekking. The difficulty level is not that high, and since this place is far away from the hustle and bustle of cities and other tourist destinations, you will be able to enjoy the natural splendor of the region without any disturbances.
2. Swimming – there is a pool of clear water beneath the falls where you can take a dip and get some relief from the scorching heat of the sun. The pool is completely safe for swimming, so make sure you take some swimsuits with you.
3. Picnic – There is a small clearing right in front of the falls that offers a gorgeous view of the milky white waterfall. People often come here with mats and snacks to enjoy a fun-filled, relaxing picnic day with their family. The majestic beauty of the falls, the sound of birds, the lush green jungles, and the mesmerizing views make it the perfect place for a picnic.
4. Photography – The Sathodi falls are located in the middle of a beautiful, pristine jungle, and the rectangular shape of the falls contrasts beautifully against the lush green of the forest. That is why, this is a perfect spot for taking some unparalleled pictures of the spectacular natural beauty of the Western Ghats.
Attractions near Sathodi Waterfall
Here are some of the best places to visit near Sathodi Waterfall:
1. Anshi National Park – located 67 km from the falls, this place is spread over 340 square kilometers, and is home to a variety of flora and fauna. You can see majestic animals like leopards, tigers, elephants, Indian bison, and deer. The place also hosts reptiles like vipers, rat snakes and pythons – so be careful when you visit the park.
2. Sirsi – this well-known Jain pilgrimage place is located at a distance of 54 km from the falls, and is known as one of the 8 matthas of Jains. You can also visit the nearby temples like Sri Trivikrama Temple and the Sahasralinga.
3. Nersa – this small village is situated 46 km away from Sathodi falls, is home to a wide variety of medicinal plants and herbs. You can also trek to the village, if you like. The village has manu caves like Barapedi and Krishnapur which are worth visiting. you can also check out the rare bird species at Mahadai valley.
4. Bhavani Shankar temple – located 86 km away from the falls, this place is on the way to Hubli and attracts large populations of devotees of the Hindu religion every year. The temple displays ten incarnations of Lord Vishnu. The temple was constructed during the Chalukya era, and you can still see the architecture elements of that time on its walls.
5. Kaju Bag Beach – situated at the entry point of the beautiful river Kali into the Arabian sea, this beach is located nearly 100 km away from the falls. The white sandy shores, the clear waters, and the clean coastal air make it worth your while to visit this place. To get a relaxing view of the sea and enjoy the calm atmosphere, make sure you check out this beach.
Other Essential Information About Sathodi Falls
-Entry Fee: The entry fee is only INR 5 per person.
-Location: Balagar, Karnataka 581337, India
-Height: the falls are about 15 meters tall.
-Network Coverage: the network coverage and cellular signal in these areas is not great. This is because the falls are located in a region that is considered a bit remote. So before you visit the falls, make sure you are prepared for adjusting to a no network state for a couple of hours.
-Average Temperature: average temperature in Yellapur ranges between 20 degrees Celsius to 32 degrees Celsius.
Tips For Visiting Sathodi Waterfall –
Here are some tips that will make your trip to Sathodi Waterfalls easy, comfortable, and enjoyable:
1. The falls are located in the middle of the jungle and there is quite a bit of a walk from the main road to the falls. That is why we recommend wearing comfortable shoes and clothes so that you can walk to the falls with ease. Heels or any other uncomfortable shoes will make it difficult for you to walk on the trails.
2. Make sure you carry some snacks and water bottle with you, so that you do not feel hungry or thirsty on the way
3. It can get a bit cool as you get near the falls. That is why, it is recommended to carry some light sweater or jacket with you.
4. There is a small pool at the bottom of the falls where you can swim. So, make sure you carry your swimsuit and some towels with you.
Places to Eat near Sathodi Waterfall –
Here are some of the best restaurants near Sathodi waterfalls:
1. Hotel Bhavani – the cozy and comfortable settings of this place, paired with delicious food that doesn’t burn a hole in your wallet makes it one of the best places to get some snacks near the falls.
2. Gajanan Hotel – If you want to enjoy delicious Indian food at a nice, quiet place with service that is prompt and friendly, this is the place for you. Plus, it won’t burn a hole in your pocket, as Gajanan is extremely pocket friendly.
3. Gowdalli Biryani Family Restaurant – as you can tell from the name, this place is extremely famous for its finger-licking good biryani. For foodies that want to try north-indian food, this is the place to be at.
4. Shanbhag Restaurant – the restaurant is known for delicious cuisines that can satisfy even the most nitpicky foodies. The place enjoys a strategic location on NH 67, so it may be a little crowded when you visit, but the delicious food, highly exceptional culinary experience, and hospitable staff more than make up for it.