The Big Buddha of Phuket is an iconic landmark of Thailand perched on top of the Nakkerd Hills. Built of white jade marble, this magnificent statue is 45 metres tall and glistens in glory. The atmosphere at Phuket Big Buddha is so peaceful and the panoramic view is breathtaking. The hall at the base of the statue has Buddhist teachings and a donation box for funding.
Phuket Big Buddha is one of the most significant and admired landmarks in Phuket, Thailand. It is the third tallest statue in Thailand after Luangpho Yai and the Great Buddha of Thailand. If you're planning a Thailand trip from India, exploring iconic sites like the Phuket Big Buddha can be a captivating part of your itinerary. The marvelous statue of the Great Buddha of Phuket is nestled on top of the Nakkerd Hills between Kata and Chalong. The Big Buddha Statue is structured to a height of 45 meters, while the lap of the statue is around 25 meters wide.
The Big Buddha built during the year 2004 is devoted to the late King of Thailand, His Majesty Bhumibol Adulyadej. There is a tiny Buddha placed beside the large statue made from brass, which is dedicated to Her Majesty Queen Sirikit.
The entire body of the Big Buddha has a layer of magnificent Burmese white jade marble that glistens in the sun. A tiny Buddha sits next to the Phuket Big Buddha which is completely made of 20 tonnes of brass. However, it has a golden color to it. Popularly known as Phra Phutta Ming Mongkol Eknakiri, the massive statue offers a 360-degree view of the island with extensive vistas of Kata, Karon, Chalong Bay, and Phuket town, thereby providing a meditative atmosphere for the tourists.
The surrounding atmosphere of the Phuket Big Buddha is relatively peaceful. You can only hear the tinkling of tiny bells and the large bell going after every 7 minutes. Soft Dharma music fills the entire background of the serene atmosphere of Phuket Big Buddha.
The funds of this tourist destination come entirely from the heavy donations by the visitors. At the base of the Big Buddha Statue, there is a hall that displays the history of the construction, some teachings of Buddhism, and plenty of donation boxes. You are not allowed to visit the site in beachwear, short skirts, and T-shirts containing offensive images as it is a religious place.
You can also witness the novice ordination of the son of the family. It is a sign of pride for the entire family. Thus, the visitors also feel mesmerized to watch the ceremony of leaving the worldly things of life and attain Nirvana.
• Phuket Big Buddha is nestled on the peak of Nakkerd Hills between Kata and Chalong.
• The structure of Phuket Big Buddha is around 45 meters tall, which offers a full-circle view of the island with extensive sights of Kata, Karon, Chalong Bay, Phuket Town, and more.
• The Big Buddha is entirely made up of supportive concrete with a layer of magnificent Burmese white jade marble.
• A small statue of Buddha is placed next to the Phuket Big Buddha made of 20 tonnes of Brass, but it is golden in color.
• One can purchase a break or marble tile and write their initials to be placed endlessly inside the Big Buddha.
• The hall at the base of the Phuket Big Buddha displays the history of the project, the teachings of Buddhism, and numerous donation boxes.
• One can write messages on the purchased artifacts for good luck and in the memory of their departed souls of loved ones.
1. Daily Prayer- The locals and tourists visit Phuket Big Buddha for daily prayers and to devote respect to several monks around the Big Buddha Statue.
2. Offer Alms- Offering alms to Buddhists is a matter of goodwill for the locals and the tourists.
3. Marble Merit- An act of making merit refers to the donation for the maintenance of Phuket Big Buddha. People donate lots of money in the donation boxes as an act of marble merit.
4. Offering Food To Monks- The monks generally have two meals in a day. Tourists offer food to them as goodwill.
5. Receive Blessings- After offering food and alms to the monks, they give blessings to the people for a peaceful life.
6. Novice Ordination For Mother- It is a ceremony that takes place in Phuket Big Buddha when the son of the family decides to be a monk and live a life without the pleasures of the world.
7. Ordained For Father- The novice son’s ordination is a pride for the family, i.e., the father.
8. Praying Over The Year- The last activity that takes place at Phuket Big Buddha is praying for a peaceful atmosphere throughout the year.
Recommended Read: Places To Visit In Phuket Island
The Phuket Big Buddha is the primary tourist attraction. The vast and impressive structure with breathtaking views from the top of the Nakkerd Hills makes it worth seeing. The activities performed at the Phuket Big Buddha are also worth experiencing once in a lifetime.
Check This Out: Places To Visit Near Big Buddha Phuket
The highly accessible means of transport and the only way to reach Phuket Big Buddha is through tuk-tuk. You can take a tuk-tuk from the Phuket Airport and reach the place for experiencing a serene atmosphere and witnessing the immense statue of Big Buddha.
Planning A Trip To Phuket, Click Here Book Our Phuket Tour Packages Now!
The Phuket Big Buddha is the third largest statue in Thailand, with a height of 45 meters (148 feet). The Buddha statue represents Lord Gautama Buddha in a sitting position. Hence, the lap of the Buddha Statue measures around 25.45 meters (83.5 feet).
Do Checkout: Unexplored Places In Phuket
There is no strict dress code at Phuket Big Buddha. However, visitors should dress politely as they are visiting a sacred place. It is advisable to wear clothing that covers the shoulders and knees. You should not wear short skirts, beachwear, and T-shirts with offensive images. If you are properly dressed for the temple, you can take a sarong from the booth on the Phuket Big Buddha premises.
Planning A Trip To Thailand, Click Here To Book Our Thailand Tour Packages Now!