Housing over 8,000 animals of at least 300 different species, Khao Kheow Open Zoo is a significant and popular zoo of Thailand. It has been a cherished resource for wildlife and nature for more than 32 years. Spend a day in the midst of animal love and enjoy some peaceful time with these lovely creatures.
Spread over a large area of 2000 acres of greens, Khao Kheow Open Zoo boasts a natural habitat of over 8000 animals of more than 300 different species. It lies in the Khao Kheow Chom Puo Wildlife Sanctuary and features diverse landscapes of lofty hills, lush rainforests and pristine lakes & streams. This wildlife sanctuary is a highlight in many Thailand tour packages, offering a unique opportunity to witness the beauty of nature and wildlife in one of the country's most stunning settings.
Inaugurated in 1978, the zoo is divided into distinct sections as per the category of the animals and provides them with the natural environment, ultimate care and protection. From tigers, snakes, hippos, rhinos, elephants, lions, tapir, giraffes, hyenas to flamingos, you will find friendly birds to wildland and aquatic animals here.
The zoo runs different interaction and feeding programs, which you can be booked as per your interest and preferences. Here, you can even feed animals, see elephants swimming, enjoy a safari, book a camp stay, watch seals or click pictures with tigers. You can either explore the area on foot or book a golf cart or a tram to discover the endless beauty of the place without tiring yourself and your feet. While golf carts are perfect for 4 to 6 people, a tram offers a hassle-free tour of the jungle for a big group.
The rich and relaxing environment of the zoo and various interaction and feeding programs make this destination one of the most exciting places in Thailand. Here, you can also learn about nature and wildlife as well as about various conservation programs run by the authorities. Khao Kheow Open Zoo works in four distinct areas, mainly wild animal's conservation, education, research and giving them recreational areas. It is indeed a wonderful place to have some relaxing cum thrilling time and alongside gaining some extra insight.
Check This Out: Things To Do In Thailand
• A beautiful and lush zoo spread over an area of 2000 acres, Khao Kheow Open Zoo works towards providing ethical and humane treatments to animals.
• It houses more than 8000 animals and allows the visitors to see and meet them through interactive programs, animal feeding sessions and photoshoot opportunities.
• It features land animals like deer, elephants, camels, lions, etc. and a huge variety of exotic birds like hornbill, ostrich, pelicans, and many more.
• It boasts of having Asia's second-largest aviary.
• It offers a Journey to the jungle program, giving the chance to see wild animals like tigers, hyenas, pigs and otters.
• It has a zip line ride across the lake called Tarzan Swing and a 2-mile zipline across wood called Flight of the Gibbon.
• Along with day safaris and elephant trekking, it also features a 40-minute Night Safari running between 7 pm and 8 pm.
• It also has an on-site resort offering room and camp accommodation.
Places to Visit near Khao Kheow Open Zoo
1. Sriracha Tiger Zoo: Watch tigers, pigs and dogs living together at the Sriracha Tiger Zoo and be amazed by their harmonious nature. Meet, feed and click pictures with them through different programs like a crocodile show, elephant ride, ostrich interaction, or see an aviary of exotic birds with your kids and collect memories.
Click Here To Book Tickets For Siracha Tiger Zoo Pattaya
2. Ban Bang Phra: A stunning lake and beautiful surroundings of Ban Bang Phra make this place a perfect destination to enjoy some refreshing moments away from the city's hustle-bustle. With a well-paved jogging & cycling path, it is also a preferred choice amongst fitness freaks and nature lovers.
3. Wat Saen Suk: One of the most beautiful Buddhist temples in Thailand, Wat Saen Suk is famous for its presentations of hell through different sculptures and displays. The larger-than-life temple is a must-visit to learn the consequences of your sins and will surely send chills down your spine.
4. Khao Sam Muk: Nestled between Ang Sila and Bang Saen, Khao Sam Muk is known for its eternal but tragic love story, which ended with a couple jumping from the cliff. The views of the sea and mountain landscape from the cliff are overwhelming and offer multiple opportunities to capture the natural beauty or enjoy refreshing breaks.
5. Institute of Marine Science of Burapha University: This educational institute houses a Marine Aquarium and a Marine Science Museum. The aquarium features various tanks exhibiting different marine animal and plant species. On the other hand, the in-house museum educates visitors about exotic marine life through various visual descriptions.
6. Wonnapha Beach: On the southernmost coast in Bang Saen, Wonnapha Beach is one of the quieter places in Chonburi to enjoy fishing or sea surroundings. If you don't like overcrowded places, head to this beach and enjoy spectacular sunset sceneries while having some traditional Thai dishes or drinks.
Recommended Read: Things To Do In Pattaya In 2 Days
1. Elephant Swimming Show: Watch elephants swimming in a giant aquarium and be amused by their skills.
Timings: Weekdays: 10:30 am/2:30 pm
Saturdays, Sundays, and Holidays: 10:30 am/12:00 pm/2:30 pm
2. Penguin Parade: See and meet exotic penguins marching in front of you and wave them from the audience stands.
Timings: Weekdays: 10:30 am/2:30 pm
Saturdays, Sundays, and Holidays: 10:30 am/2:30 pm/3:30 pm
3. Animal Presentation -Showcasing Animal Talents & Witness the amazing skills of wild animals and birds and interact with them.
Timings: Weekdays: 10:30 am/12:00 pm/1:30 pm
Saturdays, Sundays, and Holidays: 10:30 am/12:00 pm/1:30 pm/3:30 pm
4. Journey to the Jungle: See wild animals like tigers, hippos, hyenas, monkeys, etc., and a wide variety of birds while touring the lush wood.
Timings: 10:30 am, 12:00 pm, and 3:30 pm
5. Parakeet Flying Parade: Visit Asia's second-largest aviary and see a wide variety of colourful and gorgeous birds. Also, watch colourful parakeets flying in a particular pattern and capture some beautiful shots.
Timings: 10:30 am and 2:30 pm
6. Seal Feeding: Seals are one of the most adorable aquatic animals. With the zoo's seal feeding programs, you can go close to these lovely creatures and feed their favourite food from your hand or watch their trainers feeding them (if you don't have the guts of going close) and learn about their lives and habitat!
Timings: 11:00 am, 1:00 pm, and 3:00 pm (only on weekends)
Check This Out: Unexplored Places In Pattaya
1. Elephant Swimming: Watch giant elephants having fun under the water from the glass window of the huge aquarium and feel the thrills. This zoo has state-of-the-art technologies for the safety of the animals and doesn't harm its animals for any of its activities, so don't worry elephants are safe during this adventure.
2. African Savanna: The African savannah section is based on the zoo's Geographic Theme and features a wide range of animals living in natural habitats and environments. The region displays harmony in different breeds of animals as they all live in the same area. Visitors can see here animals from up & close and even feed them.
3. Eld’s Deer Park; Drive through a golf car or by a hired tram and explore this space full of beautiful lovely deer. Watch them wandering in the open space, feed them with the food provided at the zoo, click photographs with them, and enjoy a memorable experience.
4. Cats Complex: Home to several tigers, this zoo allows you to see them from close and get clicked with them. It is working towards the conservation of these wild cats by providing proper care and protection to them.
5. Lemur Land: Open only on weekends and holidays, this area is home to naughty lemurs. You need to take rafts to reach this island where you can feed these animals under the guidance of special security officers. The place is a serene location and allows you to spend some time amidst fresh surroundings.
6. Night Safari: The night safari runs only on weekends and starts at 5:30 pm. It includes a bus safari, an Animal's Night Live, and a visit to Cat Complex. During this safari, you will get the chance to feed and pose with wild animals and watch them in their natural habitats.
7. Wildlife Wonderland: In "Wildlife Wonderland", you will see wildlife representatives of different continents, such as lynx from Asia, Raccoon from the USA, Koalas from Australia, Lymer Tail Ring from Africa, and many more. You will also get the chance to see seals from Africa from the glass windows of the big aquarium.
8. Walkthrough Aviary: Complete with waterfalls, streams, ponds and lush greens, this area houses more than 80 varieties of birds, including Herons, Teals, Pheasants, Storks, Egrets, and Stonechats. This area also has a few reptiles and small mammals like Indotestudo elongata (Tortoise) and chevrotain. Spread along the 800-m stream, this place is as refreshing as photogenic.
Read more: Things To Do In Pattaya In 3 days
1. Travel around the zoo in a golf cart: Hire a Golf cart for yourself and travel around the zoo on your own and at your pace. Zoo offers two types of carts; one having the capacity for 4 pax and another can seat 6 pax.
Price: 500 baht for 2 hours for 4 pax capacity
700 baht for 2 hours for 6 pax capacity cart
Planning A Trip To Thailand, Checkout Our Thailand Honeymoon Packages Now!
2. Tram rides: If you are visiting the zoo with a group, book a tram ride and explore the beauty of this amazing destination with your friends. Listen to interesting stories about in-house animals and birds and have an everlasting experience.
Read More: Things To Do In Pattaya
3. Tarzan Swing: Cross a pristine lake set amidst the woods while zipping through a cable and enjoy mesmerizing bird's eye views of the surroundings. Just get strapped and feel the rush in your adrenaline with this challenge which is as thrilling as fun-filled.
Price: 90 Baht
Recommended Read: Places To Visit In Pattaya
4. Night safari: A thrilling bus ride from the middle of the jungle during the dark hours of the evening, the night safari is perfect for all adventure seekers. This 40-minute open bus night safari takes you close to wild animals and is a great activity to enjoy with friends and loved ones.
Timings: 7:00 pm to 8:00 pm
Price: 400 Baht
Suggested Read: Villas In Pattaya
235 Moo 7, Tambon Bang-Pra, Amphur Sriracha, Chonburi 20110, Thailand
Also Read: Night Markets In Pattaya
The best time to visit Khao Kheow Open Zoo is early morning as animals are more active during the early hours of the day. By midday, especially on warm days, most animals go back to their respective compounds except night hunters. The cool dry period between November and early April is suitable for walking in the open for long hours and watching wandering animals.
Check This Out: Places to Visit In Thailand With Family
A famous destination for wildlife and nature lovers, Khao Kheow Zoo houses over 8000 animals and birds. It features distinct zones according to residing species and offers several safaris and animal interaction programs. Most of these animals live freely in open spaces except large dangerous animals such as tigers and lions.
Read More: Markets In Thailand
No, you cannot touch all animals but friendly animals like deer and camels, and feed animals like hippos, tigers, etc. The zoo authority has given permission and conducts animal interaction with limited animals. You must follow the guidelines and touch and feed only those animals for which authority has granted permission.
Here is the list of activities and attractions in Thailand that are available at Thrillophilia: