Kerala Water Sports
Indulging in the exhilarating water sports in Kerala in the midst of intriguing backwaters, lush green flora, tranquil lakes, and beaches backed by coconut palms. Kerala has moved a lot ahead from just offering kayaking in the tranquil waters and is now letting tourists enjoy a blissful as well as thrilling session of surfing across the coast of Varkala, Kovalam, and many others.
Catamaran sailing is yet another popular water sport that you can try out in Alleppey and Kovalam with the help of experts during your visit to Kerala. Parasailing is yet another popular water sport in Kerala that lets you hover in the sky capturing the views of the scenic coast. You can also try out snorkelling which is considered to be one of the best activities to get a glimpse of the underwater world of Kerala.
People Also Ask About Water Sports in Kerala
Which are the best water sports to do in Kerala?1. Kayaking:- Kayaking happens to be one of the most loved watersports that you can try out during your visit to Kerala. There are a number of fascinating spots where you can try out this activity starting. Kayaking is very much popular in the backwaters of Alleppey as it is surrounded by picture perfect vistas all around. While indulging in this activity, you will be able to capture various viewpoints of the backwaters, local villages, enjoy bird watching, and much more. During your trip, you will also get a chance to stroll through the paddy fields and indulge in a wide range of local activities learning more about the lifestyle of the residents.
Location:- Muziris, Thrissur, Kerala
2. Surfing:- If you're an adrenaline addict who wants to feel the excitement of surfing in Kerala, plan a trip to God's Own Country between December and March. Water sports enthusiasts can enjoy the fresh sea breezes while surfing the Arabian Sea's tremendous waves during this period. Kerala is an excellent surfing destination for all levels of surfers, from beginners to experts. A newbie can enrol in a surfing school and learn the foundations of the sport, while an expert surfer can rent a surfboard and get in the ocean. Varkala Beach, Kovalam Beach, Kappil Beach, Poovar, Tiruchendur, and others are among Kerala's most prominent surfing sites.
Location: Lighthouse Beach, Kovalam
3. Catamaran Sailing:- A catamaran is a small wooden boat that resembles a yacht but has a hull on either side, and it is mostly used by Kerala's fishing community. Because of its increased agility, balance on splashing waves, and docility, it is highly preferred by fishermen who venture deep into the sea for fishing. Despite the fact that it was only introduced recently, catamaran sailing is quickly gaining popularity among visitors to Kerala. As a result of their increased popularity, catamarans have evolved in size, mechanism, and design. Kerala Tourism has lately introduced catamarans with new machine-driven propellers. Alappuzha, Kovalam, and Varkala are three of Kerala's most popular catamaran sailing destinations.
Location:- Alappuzha, Kovalam, and Varkala.
4. Rafting:- Most thrill seekers, however, are unaware that even God's Own Country, Kerala offers exciting rafting experience. You may partake in this adrenaline-pumping activity at a variety of sites if you're visiting Kerala in the months of June, July, August, or September. River rafting in Kerala is thrilling and fascinating in its own way. The Tejaswini River in Kannur, the Vythiri River in Wayanad, the Iruvanjhipuza and Chapuza rivers in Thusharagiri, and the Bhoothathankettu River in Ernakulam are some of Kerala's most popular rafting destinations.
Location:- Tejaswini River in Kannur, the Vythiri River in Wayanad, the Iruvanjhipuza and Chapuza rivers in Thusharagiri, and the Bhoothathankettu River in Ernakulam.
5. Bamboo Rafting:- While rafting may entice adventure seekers, bamboo rafting in Kerala will put your reflexes to the test while also pumping up your excitement! Even though a bamboo raft is not as quick as a standard or traditional raft, manoeuvring it might be challenging at times. The first bamboo rafting attraction in Kerala is the Periyar Lake, which flows through Periyar National Park in Thekkady. It's a popular water sport in Kerala that appeals to adrenaline addicts as well as nature lovers. Rafting along the lake provides rafters with the opportunity to witness a variety of exotic wildlife while quenching their thirst. You may enjoy bird watching and nature photography while bamboo rafting in Kerala.
Location:- Periyar Lake, Periyar National Park in Thekkady, Kerala
6. Parasailing:- Parasailing in Kerala is a once-in-a-lifetime experience that is both charming and appealing! Those who want to feel the thrill of flying like a free-bird can participate in this thrilling water sport at popular beaches in Kerala such as Varkala, Payyambalam, and Alappuzha. In this activity, the parasailer is usually safely secured with a parachute, which is subsequently towed by either a land vehicle or a speedboat. As the draw increases, the parachute rises higher in the sky, allowing the parasailer to enjoy beautiful vistas of the coastline while hovering in the clear sky.
Location:- Varkala, Payyambalam, and Alappuzha beaches, Kerala
7. Snorkelling:- Snorkeling in Kovalam is best experienced between the months of December to March, when the sea is calm. The finest part about this trip is that you won't have to worry about the sea's dangers. Professionals ensure that everything runs well and that there are no roadblocks in the way. Snorkeling at Kovalam is safe because the divers only dive to a depth of 5 feet. It's an illustration of how ocean waters can be used to display undersea life. It is one of the most interesting underwater activities because it requires little effort. You must be able to swim and have a good time. With its brilliance and rush of hues, undersea life can pleasantly surprise you. It is a universe unto itself, and you may get a taste of it all in Kovalam.
Location:- Kovalam Beach and Varkala Beach.8. Scuba Diving:- Colorful corals, azure blue waters, and charming sea creatures make the undersea world a wonderful place to visit. What better way to discover it than through scuba diving? Scuba diving is often regarded as one of the most exhilarating water sports. It not only provides an adrenaline rush and a thrilling experience, but it is also recognised to be one of the most relaxing. It allows you to think for yourself, explore the amazing marine life, and be awestruck by the magnificence of the undersea environment.
Kerala is one of the Indian states with some of the most beautiful beaches, with pure blue waters and golden sands. Due to the existence of beautiful beaches, Kerala is a great destination for water adventure sports and activities, with scuba diving topping the list of the most thrilling. The appeal of the undersea environment is certain to entice you. You can swim beside corals and float with schools of fish, or simply relax and take in the sights.
Location:- Varkala Beach and Cochin, Kerala
Which are the best places for water sports in Kerala?1. Varkala Beach:- Varkala, in the Thiruvananthapuram district, is a lovely coastal town. It is located in Kerala's southern region. The only site in Kerala where the hills meet the sea is here. The place's distinctiveness is the melding of cliffs and the Arabian Sea. Varkala Beach is a prominent beach where you may participate in a variety of water sports like parasailing and paragliding. The Varkala Formation is the name given to it by the Indian Geological Survey.
2. Kovalam Beach:- If you're looking for a thrill, head to Kovalam, a coastal town where you may participate in a variety of water sports. When visiting a coastal town, one anticipates a variety of activities, such as water sports in Kovalam. So, for a thrilling experience, let the explorer in you engage in water sports in Kovalam. Furthermore, with so many sites in Kovalam, you can always go for a swim on a nice day. Kovalam is a paradise for anyone seeking both relaxation and exciting outdoor activities. It's a spot where the weather is almost always pleasant and consistent throughout the year, so nothing can dampen your spirits.
3. Cochin:- Kochi is well-known for its natural and scenic splendour. It's past time for us to defy norms and explore Kochi's more intriguing and nerve-wracking neighbourhoods. In such moments, let your emotions and mind go wild and come try out these exciting adventure sports in Kochi. Because you must not ignore your heart's need for adventure! During your visit to Kochi, you can indulge in activities like scuba diving, water skiing, backwater cycling, kayaking, banana ride, and Bhoothathankettu trekking.
Which are the best places for snorkeling in Kerala?1. Kovalam Beach:- If you are planning to enjoy snorkelling in Kerala, Kovalam beach can be considered as one of the best places. The rich underwater world will surely entice you to spend long hours snorkelling along with your group. The artificial reef as well as the lighthouse beaches are special snorkelling hotspots that you should choose. Indulging in this activity, you will be able to check out a wide range of fish species as well as get a chance to witness the beautiful corals.
2. Varkala Beach:- Varkala Beach is one of the most sought after places for snorkelling and many other water sports in Kerala. The waves are short ranging from about 2 feet to 5 feet which makes underwater exploration blissful. Some of the best places for snorkelling are Thrivambadi and Papanasam beach. By participating in the activity, you will be able to explore the clean underwater world and see a variety of fish species and coral structures.
What is Kerala famous for?Kerala is known for its distinctive landscape, calm backwaters, unspoiled beaches, cultural expressions, and spices, among other things. It's also renowned for its charming houseboats, sprawling tea plantations, one-of-a-kind eco-tourism, spectacular grandeur, Ayurvedic therapies, and unforgettable culinary experiences.
What is the best time to visit Kerala?The perfect time to visit Kerala is in the winter, from September to March when the temperature is mild and weather is pleasant. Honeymooners, beach goers, and adventure seekers will love this time of year.