1. Visit Turku: One of the best things to do in Finland is to pay a visit to the oldest city in the country, Turku. Dating back to the early 18th century, this fun and lively city retains the old-world charm that one must experience at least once. You can also explore the ancient streets of Turku, as you watch the pristine Aura River pass by.
When in Turku, you can also explore the Turku Castle, which is the largest surviving medieval building in all of Finland. There are numerous museums and repurposed bars here as well.
Location: Turku, Southwest Finland
2. See the Nordic Lake Saimaa: The Nordic lakes are popular all across the world. Amongst the best attractions and things in Finland, visiting Lake Saimaa is undoubtedly the most famous of all. During your visit to this country, don’t forget to visit Lake Saimaa, which is one of the largest natural freshwater lakes in the European continent. It is here where you can catch glimpses of the unique, endangered and rare Saimaa Ringed Seal, also known as Norppa.
Or, if you are on the look out for this rare and endangered marine animal, go for a water safari, cruise or kayak tour of Lake Saimaa and the surrounding islands.
Location: Southeast Finland
3. Stay at the Kemi Ice Hotel: If wondering what to do in Finland then plan to spend a memorable night at the Kemi Ice Hotel in Lumilinna. Made completely out of snow and ice, this stunning hotel offers you a unique, one-of-a-kind experience in this Nordic country. With the average temperatures remaining around -5 degrees Celsius, the hotel offers beds made of lambskin and sleeping bags with fleece interiors. A stay here is guaranteed to be nothing short of magical, with ice carvings decorating your rooms, heated bathroom facilities and more. You can also see the snow chapel, ice sculptures, gemstone gallery and other attractions here.
Location: Fleminginkatu 15, 94100 Kemi, Finland
Price: € 200 onwards
Timings: 10:00 a.m. to 06:00 p.m.
4. Learn about Finnish history at Siida Museum: Amongst the top activities in Finland is a visit to the Siida Museum. Located on the stunning Lake Inari in Inari, this is one of the best museums in the country, which tells you stories about the Laplanders or Sami, a semi-nomadic tribe in Finland. From photographs and interactive sections, to galleries telling you about the existence of the Sami from the prehistoric times to the modern days, the museum also has a theatre where you can learn about the Northern Lights.
Location: Inarintie 46, 99870 Inari, Finland
Price: € 72 onwards
Timings: 10:00 a.m. to 05:00 p.m.
5. Enjoy a picnic at Suomenlinna: A picnic at the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Suomenlinna Island is one of the top things in Finland. Enjoy a day trip to this island by taking a ferry from Helsinki. In addition to enjoying a thrilling picnic near the shores, you can also explore the 18th century fortress on the island. The island also boasts of almost 300 ancient buildings, with intact cannons and other weapons used during warfare.
Location: 00190 Helsinki, Finland
6. Indulge in a husky or reindeer sleigh ride: Thinking of what to do in Finland? Go for a once in a lifetime sleigh ride, and get driven by huskies or reindeers. Experience the cold wilderness of Finland whilst being pulled by a pack of huskies or Santa’s reindeers in Lapland. While you can avail a reindeer or husky sleigh ride any time of the year, the best time to enjoy this thrilling activity is during the winter months, when you can explore the snowy wilderness of Lapland under the stunning Northern Lights.
Location: Lapland, Finland
Price: € 30 onwards
7. Meet Santa in the Santa Claus Village: Undoubtedly one of the best things to do in Finland is to visit Rovaniemi in the northern part of the country and meet Santa and Mrs. Claus. You can also see the Elf School here, or learn to make Santa’s favourite gingerbread treats. Other attractions of this village include a Calligraphy School, where you can pen a handwritten letter to Santa, and the Post Office, where you can see the staggering number of letters people send to Santa.
You can also cross the Arctic Circle through an underground tunnel at the Santa Claus Village.
Location: 96930 Rovaniemi, Finland
Timings: 11:00 a.m. to 04:00 p.m.
8. See the Northern Lights: If you are on the hunt to see the Northern Lights or Aurora Borealis, then Finland is one of the best places to be. Visit Lapland and get a chance to experience this natural phenomenon for a scintillating Northern Light experience. Capture it on your camera, soak in the views or indulge in a sleigh ride under the stunning display of dancing lights in the night sky upon your visit of Finland.
Whatever you do, the experience is sure to be nothing less than surreal, hypnotising and magical.
Location: Lapland, Finland
Planning a visit to Finland, checkout our best selling: Finland Tour Packages
Finland Tour Packages from Delhi