1. Climb up to the Matterhorn Glacier Paradise: If you are an experienced mountaineer with an undying love for adventure, hike your way to the Matterhorn Glacier Paradise and soak in the mesmerizing views from an altitude of 3883 meters. In addition to this, you can also tower over 14 glaciers and 38 peaks in the Swiss Alps.
If you want your Zermatt trip to be leisurely, give yourself a break from hiking and savour the lip-smacking delicacies at one of its restaurants. Matterhorn Glacier Paradise also provides ample opportunities for skiing and snow tubing to its visitors. For a big-time mountain buff, a hiking trip to Matterhorn Glacier Paradise is one of the best things to do in Zermatt.
Location: Zermatt, Valais, Switzerland
Click Here to Book: Matterhorn Glacier Paradise Tickets
2. Head for an excursion to Gornergrat: Standing as an epitome of perfection and beauty, Gornergrat is an ideal place to rejoice the alluring views of Matterhorn. Dating back its existence to 1898, Gornergrat is a platform settled at an altitude of 3089 meters.
Once you reach the platform, be ready to be lured by the breathtaking vistas of Monte Rosa massif and 29 other hills. If you happen to visit here on an extended vacation, plan your stay at Kulm hotel, the highest altitude hotel in Europe.
Location: Valais, Goregrat, Switzerland
3. Hike on the trails of Rothorn: Nestled at an altitude of 3103 meters, Rothorn is a perfect spot to admire the eternal beauty of Swiss Alps, including Rigi, Titlis, and Eiger. As you will proceed on your way towards Rothorn, you will get to see a large species of endemic plants adorning its trails. Rothorn shares proximity with Augstmatthorn conservation area, and if you are lucky, you might get to see different species of birds including golden eagles and Ibex.
Location: Brienzer Rothorn, Switzerland
4. Spend quality time with your loved ones at Sunnegga: There are few places in Zermatt which can be explored even if you are travelling with your kids. Sunnegga peak is one of them. A 4.5-minute long funicular ride from Zermatt valley station takes you to this spot.
Endowed with a surreal environment and awe-inspiring surroundings, Sunnega has something for everyone. The peak is nestled at an altitude of 2288 meters, and it serves you with bird's eye views of Matterhorn. If you happen to visit here in the summer months, don't give up the chance of swimming in Leisee Lake. In the winter season, you can experience snow skiing in the nearby Wolli's park.
Location: Gourmet Weg, Zermatt, Switzerland
5. Spike up your adrenaline at Schwarzsee: Tucked in the foothills of Matterhorn, Schwarzsee lake is truly a sight to behold. The lake is perched at an altitude of 2583 meters and is majorly known as a vantage point for the town.
Being a starting point for several hikes, it is equally frequented by adventure buffs and nature lovers. One of the most prominent attractions of Schwarzsee is the chapel, which is dedicated to Maria Zum Schnee. Spitz Flush, Kaiseregg, and Schwyberg are three surrounding limestone hills which add to the irresistible charm of this place.
Location: Canton Of Fribourg, Zermatt, Switzerland
6. Dive deep into the history of Matterhorn: If you are interested in exploring the glorious history of Matterhorn, a visit to the Matterhorn Museum is all that you need. This underground museum will take you through the development of Zermatt from a small village to the ski resort destination.
It will also tell you the tragic story about the first ascent of Matterhorn. It is believed that in the first-ever attempt to climb this mountain, four out of seven climbers lost their lives. Matterhorn Museum also features few exhibitions including a multimedia room, a stone axe and original houses. If you are a history lover looking for things to do in Zermatt, a Matterhorn Museum trip is totally worth it.
Location: Kirchpl, Zermatt, Switzerland
7. Take an adventure trip to Gorner Gorge: There is no better place to bask in nature's glory than Gorner Gorge. Just a 15-minute walk from Zermatt village, this gorge is formed by the water of Gorner Glacier. The strong force of water cuts away the rocks and presents a beautiful example of nature's strength.
Once you reach this ethereal spot, get absorbed in the gushing sound of rivers or admire the greenish rock structures which are carved into diverse shapes. If you want to relish the scenic waterfall views, a visit to Gorner Gorge is one of the top 10 things to do in Zermatt for you.
Location: Moosstrasse, Zermatt, Switzerland
8. Enjoy shopping on its vibrant streets: The towns in Switzerland are blessed with lively shopping streets which sell the most authentic products, and Zermatt is not an exception here. Though the shopping lanes of Zermatt are unique, it will let you choose among the best designer brands.
From souvenirs to fashionable clothing and jewellery, the streets of Zermatt have got it all covered. The town also features its own shopping avenue which is home to around 316 shops. You can even land up in one of its chocolate stores and buy some delicious bites for your way back home. For a big-time fashion buff, shopping is one of the top 10 things to do in Zermatt.
Location: Bahnhofstrasse, Zermatt, Switzerland
9. Indulge in a soothing experience at Mont Cervin Spa: After a long and hectic day of sightseeing, your body might demand a relaxing spa session. If you are in the Zermatt town, you will be spoiled with endless choices of hotels and spas which indulge their customers with a wide range of services.
From body massages to sauna baths and facials, the list of spa services in the town goes on and on. If you have never been to a world-class spa, a visit to Mont Cervin is one of the top 10 things to do in Zermatt for you. This classic spa welcomes its visitors with top-notch facilities like Jacuzzis, outdoor pools, saunas, and heated indoors.
Location: Mont Cervin Spa, Zermatt, Switzerland
10. Please your taste buds with the local delicacies: Though there are several exciting things to do in Zermatt, restaurant hopping is genuinely unmissable. Zermatt town is home to numerous restaurants which boast of delicious food and beautiful ambience.
The experience of enjoying a delectable dinner with the awe-inspiring views of Matterhorn can't be put into words. If you are ready to splurge a bit on your Zermatt trip, book your evening dinner at one of its ski resorts and vouch for the best dining experience of your life. You can also try some cuisines at the Du Pont restaurant and please your taste buds without spending heavily.
Location: Zermatt, Switzerland