1. Explore the Isha Water Park with Kids: If you are visiting Trincomalee, and you want your kids not to get bored, then visiting Isha Water Park is definitely a better option. Your kids would feel the thrill of splashing into a pool after whizzing through the slides including racing slides, a partially enclosed slide, and a completely enclosed slide. It is definitely worth a visit if you are looking for the best things in Trincomalee for a family outing.
Location: Nilaveli Road (Uppuveli), Trincomalee
Price: Entrance fees: 600/-
Timings: Monday-Sunday: 10 AM to 6 PM
2. Navigate through the world of weapons and armaments at Orr's Hill Army Museum: Organised and maintained by the Sri Lankan Army, the Orr's Hill Army Museum houses a diverse collection of weaponry, artillery guns, mobile radio equipment, rocket launchers, armoured vehicles, and even LTTE-modified weapons. You may try your hand at shooting in the museum's air-rifle range, which should be one of the most thrilling things to do in Trincomalee.
Location: Situated at Plantain Point, Inside 22 Army Division Headquarters, Trincomalee 31000
Timings: Monday-Sunday: 8:30 AM to 6 PM
3. Relax and unwind in Girihadu Seya: Located 45 miles north of Trincomalee, this ancient Buddhist temple is thought to be Sri Lanka's first Stupa. The stupa was built by two maritime merchants, Trapassu and Bhalluka, and is revered for its religious and historical significance.
To reach this hallowed spot with spiritual vibrations and a panoramic view of the area, expect to climb a few hundred steps. (Tip: It is recommended that you wear sturdy shoes and bring a cap and a water bottle with you). Visiting this amazing location is unquestionably one of the top things to do in Trincomalee.
Location: Situated in Thiriyai, Trincomalee, Sri Lanka
4. Try taking a Scuba Diving course at the AquaCreed Scuba Dive Centre: One of the best things to do in Trincomalee Sri Lanka for diving fanatics is to go to Nilaveli and take a certificate course at the highly esteemed Aqua Creed Scuba Dive Centre. The PADI-certified diving centre has friendly and knowledgeable instructors who give you an unforgettable experience.
For newbies, the open water diver training is a terrific place to start since it allows them to explore with more confidence. AquaCreed is the best place to try scuba diving in Trincomalee, with excellent equipment and a wide range of dive destinations.
Location: Ward No 2, 9 Mile Post, 14km Post, Beach Side, Nilaveli 31010
Timings: Monday-Sunday: 9 AM to 5 PM
5. Behold and appreciate the magnificent Whales and Dolphins: Hardly anything beats the excitement of seeing massive blue whales up close, and the city allows you to do exactly that. One of the most fascinating things to do in Trincomalee is to take a 35-kilometer boat ride out into the ocean in search of these beautiful creatures performing and showcasing their athletic skills. The blue whales may be seen in March and April, while the sperm whales leave in August and September. Tons of dolphins could be seen swishing around in the waterways between May and August.
6. Take a plunge in the therapeutic waters at the Kanniya Hot Water Spring: Visitors can pay a short trip to these hot water wells in Trincomalee, which have various tales and legends associated with them. The 7 wells with varied temperatures of water, which are frequented by the people for their medical powers, also have religious importance since they are said to have been formed by Ravana's sword. If you opt to take a bath, the geothermal wells include changing rooms for men and women.
Location: Kanniya, Trincomalee, Sri Lanka
Price: Admission fee- LKR 10 per person for locals; LKR 50 for Foreigners
Timings: Monday to Sunday: 7 AM to 7 PM
7. For a peaceful and relaxing getaway, consult the old Lankapatuna Samudragiri Viharaya: This legendary temple is one of Sri Lanka's most prominent Buddhist viharas, said to be established where Princess Hemamala and Prince Dantha arrived in the nation with the Buddha's tooth relic.
This famous historical monument is around 50 kilometres from Trincomalee town, and visiting it is a worthwhile addition to your list of things to do in Trincomalee. The environment is lovely, and the view of the sea from the top is stunning.
Location: Situated in the Trincomalee District, Eastern province of Sri Lanka
8. Snorkeling at Pigeon Island: One of the most entertaining things to do in Trincomalee is to embark on a journey to the picturesque Pigeon Island, where you can get right up close with octopuses and sharks! On the coral reefs near the shore, the lonely, untouched island boasts a plethora of aquatic life waiting to be found, including a variety of unusual fish and blacktip reef sharks.The gorgeous and clean beach is also ideal for a relaxing day by the sea.
Location: Public Beach Road, Nilaveli 31010
Price: from ? 1,719.23 per adult
Timings: Monday to Sunday: 2 PM to 12 PM
9. Explore the country’s maritime heritage at Hoods Tower Museum: The magnificent Hoods Tower Museum, operated by the Sri Lankan Navy and perched on a high hill, not only briefs you about the country's rich and exquisite naval history but also offers you a breathtaking view of the Trinco bay and inner dock. The displays vary from WWII through the LTTE conflict in Sri Lanka, and include suicide boats, guns, and other items. The naval officer-led tour is both instructive and entertaining. Among other best things in Trincomalee, you must try and pay a visit to the naval museum, despite its lack of popularity.
Location: Ostenburg, Trincomalee, Sri Lanka
Price: 1200 LKR
Timings: Monday to Sunday: 8 AM to 6 PM