What to Do in Srinagar?
The land of mesmerizing mountain valley, crystal clear blue lake with scenic view of Himalayan landscapes doesn’t leave scarcity of planning some exciting things to do in Srinagar. Popularly known as 'Paradise of Land’, Srinagar is the new destination for adventure seekers. Tourists from all over the world always keep an eye on this place to visit at least once in a lifetime.
From experiencing trekking on the sterile roads of mountains to flying on the sky with thrilling sports of paragliding, and enjoying the scenic view of Dal Lake on a shikara ride, there are plenty of adventures activities to do in Srinagar. Don’t worry! The fun expedition on this heavenly beautiful place doesn’t end here. Besides exploring such exciting activities in Srinagar, you can visit numerous unique tourist attractions such as Dal Lake, Jama Masjid, Lal Chowk that portray the rich culture of Kashmir and please your eyes with breathtaking views.
Once known for beautiful landscapes and serene mountain views, Kashmir is now on the bucket list of every traveler who loves to have a thrill on their journey. Hence, enjoying the amazing activities and visiting mesmerizing places in Srinagar will be the experience to cherish for a lifetime.
Things to Do in Srinagar
People Also Ask About Srinagar Things To Do
What are the best things to do in Srinagar?1. Boating on Dal Lake: If you are wondering what to do in Srinagar, the very first thing that should come to your mind is the Shikara ride on Dal Lake. There are very few people on the planet who don't know about Dal Lake’s beauty, and a Shikara ride on Dal Lake will let you explore the exact beautiful valley from the closest. While riding on a Shikara (boat), you will get to visit prominent tourist attractions such as Char Chinar island, Nehru park and explore the fascinating view of the whole Lake.
Location: Dal Lake, Srinagar, Jammu and Kashmir
Price: The price range of Shikara rides varies from 150 to 600 INR per head.
2. Stay in Houseboats: How amazing it would be to stay on a floating houseboat while exploring the beauty of Lake covered with breathtaking views of snow-capped mountains overnight! Believe us, it will be the best thing to do in Srinagar and the best experience to have for a lifetime. These houseboats are mainly luxury hotels disguised in a form of boat. With impeccable architectural structure and modern amenities, these houseboats can be the perfect place to spend a relaxing time on your trip to Srinagar.
Location: Dal Lake, Srinagar, Jammu and Kashmir
Price: It depends on which houseboat you are choosing and what type of room is your target. However, a standard room price of a houseboat starts from 1500 INR.
3. Visit Jama Masjid: Now, you can try reliving some historical moments in Kashmir. Situated in the middle of the old city Nowhatta, Jama Masjid was built by Sultan Sikandar in the 15th century and is a prominent historical place in Srinagar. The mesmerizing architectural historic structure, flawless carvings, and wooden pillars will leave your jaw dropped. Hence, visiting this place will be worth your tour to Srinagar.
Location: Nowhatta Kathi Darwaza Road, Nowhatta, Srinagar, Jammu and Kashmir.
4. Ice Skating: Among various adventurous activities in Srinagar, Ice skating is the first thing you can try on your vacation. There are numerous spots available in Srinagar to enjoy these adventurous activities and Gulmarg is the best one among them for trying Ice skating. While experiencing the thrill of skiing through the frozen ice on the mountain valley of Gulmarg, you can enjoy the breathtaking view of the area. Even if you have no idea about how to try this activity in Srinagar, they have all the arrangements to make you learn this sport.
Location: Gulmarg, Srinagar, Jammu and Kashmir
Price: The ticket price of Skiing in Gulmarg for one phrase cost from 740- 1210 INR.
5. Paragliding at Ashtang Marg: For the past couple of years, paragliding has been solving most people’s questions of 'what to do in Srinagar'. The activity of flying from the mountain peak and witnessing the surreal view of the whole Kashmir valley has succeeded to win the heart of adventure lovers finding some adventurous things to do in Srinagar. Hence, missing this activity on your trip in Srinagar will be a choice of regret for you.
Location: Ashtang Marg, Srinagar, Jammu and Kashmir
Price: Ticket price of Paragliding in Srinagar starts from 150 to 600 INR per head.
Planning to Visit Kashmir, Checkout & Book: Kashmir Trip Packages
6. Trekking at Tarshat Marshar: If you want to include trekking as a prime activity to do in Srinagar, then you should consider Tarshar Marshar’ as your trekking point. Known to be one of the prettiest trekking spots in the whole of Kashmir, Trashat Marshar is located on the bank of Aru Valley in Kashmir. The magnificent mountains, blue lake, and scenic landscapes will not let you leave the place early.
Location: Pahalgam, Aru Valley, Jammu and Kashmir
Price: Trekking price at the Tarshat Marshar valley starts from 12000 INR.
7. Shopping at the Local Market: Shopping markets in Kashmir have their own charm when it comes to bag some best Kashmiri things. From pashmina shawls to Kashmiri carpets, markets of Srinagar present a unique vibrancy of Kashmiri culture. Prominent markets to shop from are Lal Chowk, Badshah Chowk, Raghunath Bazar, Polo View Market, and more.
Location: Srinagar, Jammu and Kashmir
Price: Depends on what you are buying from there.
8. Visit Indira Gandhi Memorial Tulip Garden: Considered to be the largest Tulip Garden in the whole of Asia, Indira Gandhi Memorial Tulip Garden is a paradise for flower lovers visiting Srinagar. Situated with almost 30 hectares of land, the garden is the perfect spot to enjoy the scenic view of Zabarwan Hills along with the beautiful Dal Lake. As a first-time visitor in Srinagar, visiting this garden should be the first thing to do in Srinagar.
Location: Jammu and Kashmir, Cheshma Shahi Rd, Rainawari, Srinagar, Jammu and Kashmir
Price: Ticket price of entering Indira Gandhi Memorial Tulip Garden is 50 INR.
9. Plan a picnic beside Wular Lake: How about planning a picnic trip in front of a picturesque valley of Srinagar! Located in the Bandipora district, Wular Lake is the real definition of heavenly view on earth. From locals to tourists, the place is the first choice for people planning a picnic. Known as Asia’s largest freshwater lake, the majestic sights and soothing environment of Wular Lake has successfully caught the eyes of nature lovers in the world. Hence, if you are visiting Kashmir, planning a picnic on the bank of Wular Lake should be one of the prime activities to do in Srinagar.
Location: Located near Bandipora town, Bandipora district, Jammu and Kashmir.
10. Pay a visit to the Floating Vegetable Market: One of the most unique things to do in Srinagar is visiting this floating vegetable market. Located at a corner of Dal Lake, vegetable sellers trade their products by floating on a boat. The whole scenario of this market is exceptional and interesting. Besides attracting traders, the uniqueness of this market has succeeded to draw the attention of tourists visiting Srinagar.
Location: Dal Lake, Karapura, Srinagar, Jammu and Kashmir
Looking for a Honeymoon Trip to Kashmir, Checkout & Book: Kashmir Honeymoon Trip Packages
Which are the best places for boating in Srinagar?1. Dal Lake: When it comes to finding the best activities to do in Srinagar, Dal Lake tops the list with its offering of shikhara rides. While enjoying the shikhara ride, the beautiful lake allows you to visit a few popular places and witness the unparalleled view of a snow-capped mountain covering the whole lake.
2. Nigeen Lake: Nigeen Lake is also a part of Dal Lake. However, the mesmerizing view of the lake is nothing less than the beauty of Dal Lake. If you want to skip the chaos of tourist spots and enjoy the scenic view of the whole Kashmir Valley while enjoying the boat ride, Nigeen Lake can be the best option for you.
3. The Island of Char Chinar: Char Chinar is one of the iconic islands of Dal Lake from where you can enjoy a short boating ride witnessing the soundless beauty of a snow capped mountain valley. Surrounded by Chinar trees, boating around this island will be the best things to do in Srinagar during your romantic journey.
4. Nehru Park: Situated below the Zabarwan mountain range, Nehru Park is a beautiful park located in the area of Dal Lake. From here, you can enjoy numerous boating activities and even stay in beautiful house boats floating on the lake.
Click Here to Book: Kashmir Tour Package from Kolkata
What are the best things to do in Srinagar on your honeymoon?1. Shikara Ride on Dal Lake: Visiting Srinagar without experiencing the majestic experience of Shikara ride on Dal Lake? You are missing a gem. Shikara ride on Dal Lake can make your honeymoon even more romantic by offering the breathtaking view of mountains covering the crystal clear lake. The feeling of romanticism the picturesque place presents is beyond imagination.
2. Visit around the beautiful Mughal Garden: Enjoy the majestic environment of lush green view in Mughal Garden with your partner on your honeymoon. Built by the Mughal emperor in the 17th century, the garden is the best place to enjoy an intimate time in front of blissful nature. The unique architectural designs of the lake easily drive the attention of lovers visiting Srinagar.
3. Experience the adventure of Paragliding at Ashtanmarg: if you and your partner love to have an adventure on your honeymoon, Paragliding will be the best thing to do in Srinagar. Paragliding allows you to explore the beauty of this land of heaven from the top of the sky.
4. Spend a night on a Houseboat: How about spending a romantic night in a floating house? A houseboat on Dal Lake allows you to enjoy a romantic night with a mesmerizing view in between a beautiful lake surrounded by majestic hills.
Checkout & Book: Cheapest Trip Package For Kashmir
Which are the best adventure activities to do in Srinagar?1. Paragliding: How adventurous it would be to fly around and witness the unparalleled panoramic view of the whole valley from above! Sounds amazing right? Paragliding in Srinagar allows you to taste the fun of adventure from the closest.
2. Shikara Ride: Shikara ride is the most beautiful yet adventurous activity to do in Srinagar. This soothing and relaxing experience in front of a beautiful lake can be a memory to cherish forever. There are several boats available on the bank of Dal Lake. You can easily get one and witness the beauty of Dal lake while floating.
3. Trekking: A trip to a hill station is incomplete without trekking. This area of the Himalayan range is widely popular for trekking activities among tourists. Popular trekking spots of Srinagar are Sind, Lidder, Gulmarg, and Pahalgam.
4. Mountain Biking: If you are a bike enthusiast and want to seek adventure in the valley of Kashmir, then mountain biking will be the best thing to do in Srinagar. Experience bike riding on the sterile roads of mountains in Srinagar and explore the local culture and lifestyle while making your bike riding route from Srinagar to Gulmarg.
Suggested Read: Tourist Places to Visit in Srinagar
Which are the famous things to buy in Srinagar?1. Carpets: Known for unique patterns and exceptional design, Kashmiri Carpets are one of the prominent reasons behind Kashmir’s fame. Super light in weight, these carpets are enough to make your house shine brighter than ever. Therefore, almost every tourist bags a Kashmiri carpet on their tour to Srinagar.
2. Kashmiri Pashminas: There are very few people in the whole of India, who don't know about Kashmiri Pashminas. Made out of Kashmiri wool, Kashmiri shawls are a real example of elegance. The beautiful carvings, exceptional design of embroidery, and amazing patterns make it more gorgeous. Hence, never miss buying a Kashmiri Pashmina on your visit to Srinagar.
3. Kashmiri Tea leaves: Want to take the smell of Kashmir along with you? Kashmiri Tea will be the best thing to buy from Srinagar. The aromatic flavors and color of Kashmiri tea will drive you crazy to buy it again and again. That is why Kashmiri tea has made its name on the list of most famous things to buy in Srinagar.
4. Spices: Kashmiri spices are well known for the best flavors. From saffron to Kashmiri red chili powder, the region is perfect to enhance your taste bud with aromatic spices. Hence, buying some best spices should be in your bucket list while visiting Srinagar.
Click Here to Book: Kashmir Tour Package from Pune
How much does skiing cost in Srinagar?Skiing is one of the most adventurous activities to do in Srinagar. It’s a great experience to enjoy the beautiful city of Kashmir from the closest. Gulmarg and Pulwama are the two most popular places to begin your skiing adventure, and both have different costs. However, the cost of enjoying this adventurous activity is quite reasonable starting from 500 to 1500 INR per head. Also, if you want to learn from experts you can purchase their courses worth 6000 to 12000 INR.
Is it safe to visit Srinagar?Yes, visiting in Srinagar is completely safe. Located beside Indo-Pak borders, the area is often shown as a sensitive place. However, Tourist places in Kashmir such as Pahalgam, Sonamarg, and Gulmarg are considered to be the safest tourist spots to make your trip in Srinagar. There’s nothing to worry about safety as long as you break any of the rules, try to cross borders, and go way too far without any guide.
Planning to Visit Srinagar, Checkout & Book: Srinagar Trip Packages
How can I spend 4 days in Srinagar?
If ‘what to do in Srinagar and how to spend a perfect 4 days Srinagar itinerary are stuck in mind, you should plan those days according to this plan:
Day 1: Arrive in Srinagar and explore the local tourist attractions.
Day 2: Drive from Srinagar to Pahalgam
Day 3: Drive from Pahalgam to Gulmarg and get back to Srinagar
Day 4: Depart from Srinagar.
How many days are sufficient for a Kashmir trip?Starting with some adventurous things to do in Srinagar to exploring the natural beauty of this hill station via sightseeing in some prominent tourist places such as Gulmarg, Pahalgam, and Sonamarg, it takes at least 7 – 10 days to explore the Kashmir valley.
Recommended Read: Places to See in Kashmir
Perched at a lofty elevation of around 1700 to 4300 meters, Dachigam National Park is spread across 141 square kilometers. The name “Dachigam” means “ten villages” in Kashmiri and the name is assigned in the loving memory of the 10 villages, which had been relocated for creating land for the park.Dachigam National Park is home to the endangered Kashmiri Stag or Hangul, which happens to be the only Red Deer species found in the whole country. Other animals that can be spotted in the park include Snow Leopard, Red Fox, Musk Deer, Himalayan weasel, long-tailed marmot, blue magpie trotter, and yellow-throated marten. In addition to wildlife exploration, the park also offers its visitors the chance to enjoy trekking.Location: Near Harwan Mughal Garden, Dachigam Road, Srinagar, Jammu and Kashmir 191202.Timings: From 8 AM to 6 PM, on all days of the week.Best Time to Visit: April to October.
Counted among the most sacred Islamic tourist places in Srinagar, the Hazratbal Shrine lies on the peaceful banks of Dal Lake. The name of the shrine is taken from the Kashmiri terms, “Hazrat” meaning “Sacred” and “Bal” meaning “Place”. The major attraction of this majestic shrine is a unique relic called Moi-e-Muqaddas that is basically a holy hair from the beard of Prophet Muhammad. The hair is well-preserved inside the structure and is presented before the devotees only on special islamic occasions.According to history, the Hazratbal Shrine was built by Sadiq Khan as a unique pleasure house. In the later period, the place was used for offering prayers and was eventually turned into a shrine. Today, this marble structure is referred to by many different names like Dargah Sharif, Assar-e-Sharief, and Madinat-us-Sani.Location: Hazratbal Rd, Hazratbal, Srinagar, Jammu and Kashmir 190006.Timings: 9.30 AM to 5.30 PM, on all days of the week.Best Time to Visit: Throughout the year.Planning a trip to Kashmir, check out: Best Kashmir Holiday Trip Packages
Established in the year 1969 in the memory of Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru, the Nehru Garden is a beautiful botanical garden spread across a huge area of 80 hectares. Lying on the slope of the Zabarwan Mountain, this well-planned garden is maintained and administered by the Indian Forest Department.The entire garden has been categorized into 4 segments, namely Sporting Garden, Research Section Garden, Centre of Plant Introduction, and Botanical Garden. Known to be a home to more than 1.5 lakhs ornamental plants, the entire garden looks amazingly stunning with umpteen varieties of plant species. There is also a well-constructed greenhouse sheltering a plethora of beautiful orchids at the middle of the garden. Known to offer a stress busting environment, Nehru Garden attracts peace seekers, nature lovers, photo fanatics, and fitness freaks.Location: Cheshma Shahi, Muja Gund Ghat, Srinagar, Jammu and Kashmir 190001.Timings: From 9 AM to 7 PM, on all days of the week.Price: INR 12 per person.Best Time to Visit: October to June.