The city of Pune is not only famous for its distinct cultural heritage portraying the Maratha culture, but also it is one of the amazing getaways for adventure enthusiasts. Pune showcases a plethora of history but in the modern times has emerged to be the perfect amalgamation of present and the past. The vivid landscapes have made the city of Pune ideal for adventurous excursions and what is better than a trekking expedition to be flabbergasted by the sheer natural beauty of Pune. With the Sahyadri Mountain Ranges extending to the city, an array of the best trekking tours in Pune are for adventure aficionados to fulfill their dreams. The infinite expanses of verdant greenery in the backdrop of quaint hills make it an ideal time to spend some time in the lap of nature in its exceptionally sentimental ambience. The city of Pune is encompassed by rolling hills and lavish green forests which call for one trekking excursion to relax and unwind in the company of nature.
If you are a first timer and wishing to flex your muscles then there many easy treks near Pune ideal for beginners like Rajmachi Trek, Sinhagad Trek , Raireshwar Trek , Korigad Fort Trek , Lohagad Trek, Kalsubai Peak Trek and Vasota Fort Trek. For avid trekkers some other famous treks near Pune , Torna Trek, Rajgad Trek, Visapur Fort Trek, Shivneri Trek, Lonavala and Vichitragad Fort Trek. The pleasant and romantic climate of Pune only adds to the captivating feeling which comes as you embark on a trek through the lush green forests. Trekking near Pune can be enjoyed in the time durations from a few hours to a couple of days. However the enthralling journey of hiking is one of the most memorable activities that will let you enjoy the real charm of the beautiful city of Pune. To know more, check out our selection of the best trekking tours in Pune.
People Also Ask About Trekking in Pune
When is the best time to visit Pune for trekking?
From Monsoon to winter is the best season for trekking. There are quite a few options for trekking in winter in the Sahyadris and the Baglan mountain range.
Treks are less challenging as the weather is clear and you do not get tired soon as opposed to what would happen in the summer season.
When is the monsoon season in Pune? Is it safe to trek during this time?
Monsoon lasts from June to October. It is safe but adequate caution is required as the trails might be slippery.
Which are some famous monsoon treks near Pune?
The most famous monsoon treks near Pune are:1. Purandar Fort: It stands 4472 ft above sea level and is located near Narayanpur. The difficulty level is Medium. It will take approximately 2 1/2 hours to reach to the top.
2. Rajmachi: It is one of the most beautiful forts in Lonavala. During monsoons, the road that goes to the base village is in a very bad condition and hence winter is the ideal time to visit. Rajmachi is highly recommended for small groups.
3. Tikona Fort: It is a hill fort located near Kamshet [Maval region] in Maharashtra. Height from sea level is 3500 feet. Its twin fort is called Tung . It is an easy trek andtakes 1 1/2 hour to reach to the top of the fort. Some parts are almost vertical as the fort is triangular in shape.
4. Kalsubai: Kalsubai (5400 ft.) is the highest peak of the mountain range of Sahyadri. It is one of the most enjoyable trek in the rainy season which offers views of the breathtaking lush green valleys, a walk through clouds, roaring winds andseries of waterfalls is all packed into one. On the top you can see a small temple of Kalsubai.
5. Korigad fort: Korigad Fort is located about 20 Kms away from Lonavala, in Pune district. There are two routes to reach to the top of Korigad, one from village PethShahpur and other one is from Ambavane village. Route from PethShahpur is easier than the route from Ambavane village. We have to climb nearly 510 steps while going from PethShahpur route. The route starting from the Bhairavnath Temple at PethShahpur takes us to the top within 45-50 minutes and you enter through the Ganesh gate.
6. Lohagarh: The “Iron fort” is one of the many hill forts of ChatrapatiShivajiMaharaj. It divides the basins of the Indrayani and Pavna and is situated on a side range of the Sahyadris. The Visapur fort is located on its eastern side. The four large gates of Lohagarh are still in good condition and reasonably intact.
What things should I carry for trekking in Pune?
The following things will be handy and are recommended for trekking:-- Backpack
- Water bottle
- Extra Pair of clothes.
- Ready to eat food, like plum cakes, chocolate bar, some snacks & biscuits etc
- Electoral or Glucon D powder
- Personal medicines
- Sun protection cap
- Torch with spare set of batteries
- Light weight towel
- Sleeping bag in case of an overnight trek
Which are some moderate and difficult treks near Pune?
Some of the most difficult yet adventurous treks near Pune are:1. Jivdhan Fort: It is a hill fort located in the JunnarTaluka of Maharashtra. This fort is not at all ideal for novice trekkers. There are misleading jungle trails and some hill patches that require a lot of mountaineering experience to cross. On some parts of the trek, you might also need to use ropes. Ideal for folks who want to experience extreme mountaineering experience.
2. Torna Fort: It is the highest fort in Pune and offers an amazing trekking experience. Novice trekkers should avoid the Torna trek unless they have some experienced trekkers with them.
3. Rajgad Fort: It is a fort located near Katraj. The height of Rajgad from sea level is 4250 feet and offers spectacular views of Sahyadri Mountains. One can see Sinhagad and Torna fort from Rajgad. Trekking feels fantastic during the monsoons but trekkers should take precautions as the route gets very slippery.
4. Harishchandragad Trek: It is the third highest and quite an ancient peak in Maharashtra. It is one of the most challenging treks in the Western Ghats. It is situated in the Malshej region of the ghats and is approximately 90 km away from Kalyan. The best time to trek Harishchandragad is when the monsoon is retreating i.e end of September and early October.
What will be the cost of trekking near Pune?
The cost of treks vary as per the facilities and amenities provided including the duration of the treks. The treks are usually not more than one night and range from Rs 1500 uptoRs 10,000.
However, the average cost of a simple trek is Rs 2500 per person which includes a meal and transport from the road head to base of the trek and back.
Which are some of the highest peaks near Pune?
Kalsubai peak (1,646 m) is the highest peak in Maharashtra. Other peaks of significant height are:
- Salher (1,567m)
Can I do Kalsubai Peak Trek? Is it difficult to do?
Kalsubai trek is of medium difficulty but there are steel railings, chains and ladders at places where it is difficult to climb. To reach the summit, there are well-designated trekking routes.
The most popular route is through the eastern mountain face taking off from the base village Bari. A short distance away from the Bari river, a Hanuman Temple has been built. This provides an important landmark to commence the trek as well as a resting post for those nearing the final lap of their trek.
The route from behind this temple takes the hiker straight to the summit. The trek along this route is a mix of easy to ascend slopes as well as treacherous rocky outcrops overlooking the valley below.
Can we do trekking during nighttime also in Pune region? Which are some famous night treks near Pune?
Yes trekking at night can be done, however with caution. This kind of activity is only recommended for experienced trekkers who have done at least a few treks before. The famous night treks near Mumbai are Rajmachi trek, Kalsubai night trek and Bhairavgad trek.
How fit should I be for trekking near Pune?
Preparing for a trek is no different from preparing for a long distance run or long distance trail walking. The only difference being a trek is not a competition and you can walk at your pace and enjoy the serenity around you.
For trekking you need to adapt your body to stress and build on it slowly and steadily to be able to handle more stress in the future. Treks around Pune are mostly easy level treks which require normal physical fitness levels.
What is special about Rajmachi and Kondana Caves Trek?
This trek provides you some amazing sceneries of dense forests and random waterfalls. Shrivardhan Fort and Manaranjan fort are seen at the pinnacle with this amazing Rajmachi fort trek.
Rajmachi is a famous trek destination in Sahyadri mountains and a favorite destination for every trekker and as well as beginners. An easy trek with stunning views and beautiful sightseeing. The trek begins from base village and it takes an hour to reach the top.
Are there any chances of facing wild animals during the trek? How do we deal with them?
Yes, treks into jungles and mountains have a high chance of encounter with wild animals. When you run into any wild animal while trekking, stay calm. The wild animals usually do not attack if they not sense any threat from your end.
Do not let them know that you are afraid or attack them. Try to go away from that place quietly.
What happens if it rains heavily while trekking?
One of the most important factors to having a good time during a rainy backpacking trip is having a positive attitude. Take five minutes to make sure your backpack is properly packed for showers. It’s also important to stay well hydrated and well fed when it’s raining. Take short breaks more often to keep your body from wearing down.
Will there be camping along with trekking?
Overnight treks may have bonfires and camping as per the itinerary provided by the trekking company.
Is it safe for a solo traveler to do trek?
It is recommended for any person to trek with a group but a solo traveler in a trek group is safe. It is recommended to share details with close friends and family members prior to embarking on the trek solo.
What sort of food will be there? Packed or Instant Cooked?
Overnight treks will cater for instant cooked food. However, many day treks may provide packed meals too. You can carry your own packed meals and refreshments during many treks.
What sort of clothes should I wear while trekking?
Make sure to wear comfortable footwear, loose clothing but avoid shorts as it easy to get scratched with the foliage and bitten by the mosquitoes. Better go for dry-fits, the clothing which is light in weight and quick to dry.
Can we have smoke/ consume alcohol while on the trek?
All treks prohibit consumption of alcohol during the treks. Smoking may be permitted at some designated stretches or places during the trek. However, disposal of the cigarettes is to be taken care of due to threat of fire.
Will we have guide with us?
All treks are led by experienced guides who are familiar with the routes and flora and fauna of the area. It is extremely important to have guides for treks as they are all trained professionals and will assist in any difficulties faced during the treks.