1. Visit Blue Penny Museum: Located in the Capital of Mauritius, The Blue Penny Museum offers a valuable heritage collection and displays the beautiful history of the island. The collection has a series of precious items like old marine maps, paintings, stamps, engravings, ancient documents, and a lot of other things that boast of the rich history of Mauritius highlighting their culture.
Location: Dans Caudan Waterfront, Port Louis, Mauritius
Timing: Mon:Sat: 10 AM :4:30PM, (Sunday closed)
Price:The entry fee for an adult is INR 518 and for a child is INR 253.
2. Try your luck at Le Caudan Waterfront Casino: One of the best things to do in Port Louis is going to the casino that has games like reel machine, electronic roulette, oasis poker, around the table, blackjack, roulette that can be played at 214 slot machines. The casino is not just popular for trying out your luck and earning some quick cash but also for its theme and friendly staff. Just when you enter the place, you would be able to see a pirate ship right at the entrance.
Location: Marina Quay, Caudan, Port Louis, Mauritius
Timing: Open 24 hours every day
3. Go to Aapravasi Ghat: Aapravasi Ghat is a UNESCO world heritage site and stays to be an immigration depot located on the Indian Ocean island of Mauritius. It is known to be the first British Colony to get indentured from different countries. If anyone is still wondering what to do in Port Louis, then this place will prove to be a paradise for history buffs and anyone who wants to explore the region.
Location: Ex: DWC Building, 1 Quay St, Port Louis, Mauritius
Timing: Mon:Fri: 9am:4pm, Saturday: 9am:12pm, Sunday closed
4.Try out street food: Port Louis is popular for its unique flavors and recreated recipes. One can start from the Le Caudan Waterfront, get a taste of Gujarati food like deep: fried gato pima. Head to Chinatown and explore Chinese dishes like dim sums and noodles. Then get your hands on the sugar-coated baked treats and don't forget to get a cup of sweet milky vanilla tea. Finally, get fresh vegetables and fruits from the central market.
5. Enjoy live music at Keg & Marlin: A live band is present at Keg & Marlin that is well: versed with a lot of genres like Mauritian folk music, rock music, and more. They keep the customers hooked to their seats, wanting more music sessions. The place is also popular for its scrumptious food and courteous staff. Enjoying food with some good music playing in the background is one of the best things to do in Port Louis.
Location: Le Caudan Waterfront, 11306, Mauritius, Port Louis, Mauritius
Timing: Friday, Saturday: 11 am–11 pm, Mon- Thur & Sunday: 11 am–10 pm
6. Shopping at Central Market: The central market is a perfect place to scoop up souvenirs like ship models, Buddha idols, fridge magnets, etc. Intriguingly, since Victorian days, the Market has been functional and has retained several of the traditional elegance to date. From herbal remedies, keepsakes to clothing, shopping is one of the best things to do in Port Louis.
Location: 9 Corderie St, Port Louis, Mauritius
Timing: Mon:Sat 5 am- 5:30 pm, Sunday: 5 am- 11:30 pm
7. Explore Chinatown: With beautiful art and authentic dishes, China Town is known to be the best culinary place in Mauritius. It is packed with small shops, oriental food places, and family traders. The region also houses some of the local celebrities and is mostly decorated beautifully for the visitors. One can easily find Indian, Chinese, and European cuisine in Chinatown.
8. Go to Natural History Museum: Constructed in 1880, the Natural History Museum features an exhibit of the famous Dodo, the flightless bird that has ceased to exist since the 17th century, along with a broad collection of more than 5,000 library books. Mauritius's oldest museum is split into 4 galleries: the Fauna Gallery, the Marine Life Gallery, the Insects Gallery, the Meteorology Gallery, the Giant Tortoise Gallery, and the Dodo World Gallery.
Location: Port Louis, Mauritius
Timing: Mon-Fri: 9 am–4 pm, Saturday: 9 am–12 pm, (Sunday Closed)
Price: Entrance fees are approximately 5 Euros for adults and 3 Euros for children.