Pondicherry Adventure SportsSurfing, Scuba Diving, Go Karting, Paragliding, Kayaking, Paddle Boarding, Paddle Boarding, Kite Surfing, Windsurfing, Ziplining, Bungee Jumping, Rock climbing, Hiking and many more.
People Also Ask About Adventure in Pondicherry
What are the best Pondicherry tour packages?Here are some of the best Pondicherry tour packages:
- Pondicherry Tour Packages from Bangalore
- Pondicherry Tour Packages from Delhi
- Pondicherry Tour Packages from Mumbai
- Pondicherry Tour Packages from Chennai
- Pondicherry Tour Packages from Kolkata
- Pondicherry Tour Packages from Hyderabad
- Pondicherry Tour Packages from Pune
- Pondicherry Tour Packages from Ahmedabad
- Pondicherry Tour Packages from Kerala
- Pondicherry Tour Packages from Coimbatore
What are the best adventure activities to do in Pondicherry?
1. Surfing: Surfing, a sport of gliding across the surface of the water on a surfboard, is one of the most popular adventure activities in Pondicherry. Pondicherry is known for its amazing beaches and for those who want a perfect getaway from the hustle-bustle and enjoy surfing. With mystic and tall palm trees all around, surfing on the waves here in Pondicherry can be really mesmerizing. Pondicherry receives offshore winds in the mornings, and the waves reach a 3 to 6-foot swell, which is ideal for surfing. If you are a first-timer, there are many surfing schools available to help you learn.
The best place to go surfing in Pondicherry is Auro Beach and Serenity Beach, where you can expect crystal clear water, sunkissed shores, and a lot of surfers chasing the amalgamation of the Bay of Bengal and the Arabian Sea.
Location: Auroville or Mahabalipuram Shore Temple
Best Time: March to May, and October to November is a great time for surfing. You should ideally surf early in the morning during sunrise, or late in the evening during sunsets, as the water swells up and makes the process easy and more fun.
Price: INR 1,500 (per person) onward
2. Scuba Diving: Scuba diving is an underwater diving sport wherein you can swim and explore the world underneath the sea and what better place than Pondicherry for it. Pondicherry has an enchanting marine life of exotic sea creatures such as sea snakes, kingfish, lionfish, manta rays, sharks, dolphins, colorful reefs, etc, which makes it an ideal place for scuba diving.
Indulging in Pondicherry adventure sports is incomplete without scuba diving in those pristine beaches and exploring rich aquatic life.
Location: Temple Reef, Aravind's Wall, Four Corners
Best Time: Although you can go anytime, if you want great visibility of around 30 metres below sea level, then go between February to April, or September to November
Price: INR 5,000 onward (per person)
3. Go Karting: Go-karts are small and light-weight open-wheel racing cars or quadricycles that are driven in designated tracks, and go-karting is absolute fun. For all those who are looking for a thrilling experience, this is a must-to-do activity. There are several go-karting tracks across Pondicherry, and every track is monitored by experts for your safety. While go-karting may seem like a normal or mainstream sport, doing it from Pondicherry only enriches your experience because of how breezy and beautiful this coastal city is.
Location: Pogoland, an amusement park in Pondicherry, offers one of the best go-karting experiences.
Best Time: Throughout the year
Price: INR 320 onward (per person)
4. Kayaking: A kayak is a small canoe or a boat that has a double-bladed paddle and a seat for one. Kayaking is super fun yet a peaceful activity of moving these kayaks on a waterbody. And if you’re seeking something like this then this is one of the calmest and exciting adventure activities in Pondicherry to try out.It isn’t a difficult sport, and all you need is a life jacket, a kayak, and a paddle. Pondicherry has a mix of calm as well as challenging waves, which helps a water sport like kayaking thrive.
The mesmerizing beauty of the coastal landscape and the unhindered breeze will surely make you fall in love with this sought-after sport.
Location: The Paradise and the karaikal beaches are perfect for kayaking enthusiasts.
Best Time: November to March is a good time to kayak, as the weather is pleasant. Mornings are usually better as the winds are calmer.
Price: INR 3,000 onward, with safety gear, meals, and water bottle
5. Paragliding: For those looking for some adrenaline, paragliding is one of the most common or sought-after recreational activities to do when in Pondicherry. It is the sport of flying light-weight parachutes in the air, and each chute has a speed bag suspended below for the pilot to sit. Pondicherry has a very large number of beaches, and the ones that are secluded and peaceful, make for an ideal paragliding spot. Hence, Pondicherry is considered to be an ideal destination for paragliding enthusiasts.
Location: Paradise beach in Pondicherry is famous for having paragliding points and most gliding activities take place here.
Best Time: Do paragliding anytime between 10 AM and 5 PM, but obviously not when it gets dark. October to March is a good season as the weather is pleasant and bearable.
Price: INR 600 to INR 800 onward
6. Paddle Boarding: Talking about one of the most popular and unique Pondicherry adventure sports, paddleboarding tops the charts. For those who are not aware of what paddleboarding is, it is an interesting marriage between surfing and kayaking. You have to stand and balance yourself on the board while also paddling or roving your way through the sea. There are many adventure activities in Pondicherry but the fun and thrill paddleboarding offers is incomparable.
Although not very common, it is the most thrilling activity that can satiate your hunger for adventure here in Pondicherry. Also, Pondicherry has a lot of shops selling the requisite items needed to indulge in this sport, and that increases the demand for venturing into this comparatively newer sport from here.
Location: Paradise Beach is one of the best beaches for paddle-boarding in Pondicherry.
Best Time: September and October are pleasant months, and mornings are usually the best time to paddleboard because of lesser winds.
Price: INR 750 onward (per person)
7. Kite Surfing: If you want to take up something more heart-pounding and challenging, sign up for kite surfing in Pondicherry. Kitesurfing, or kiteboarding as it is commonly known, is an extreme sport that is a mix of surfing and gliding in the air. Kitesurfing is a wind-powered surface water sport that uses a kite and a board to move across the water. Pondicherry, being a coastal city, receives a great deal of offshore winds in the morning, making kitesurfing super fun and seamless.
Location: Paradise beach tops in kite surfing experiences.
Best Time: The northeast trade winds blow between December and March, also the ideal time to go for kitesurfing. Try to do this activity in the mornings.
Price: INR 900 onward (per person)
8. Windsurfing: Planning to try on an adventure activity in Pondicherry, windsurfing has to be on your list. This one’s a surface water sport, which is a combination of surfing and sailing. Also known as sailboarding, windsurfing requires you to ride on water, using a sailboard. The more the wind, the more easily you can surf on water. And Pondicherry is one of the windiest coastal cities in our country, plus the waves swell up to about 6 feet, which makes tourists here demand for windsurfing.
Location: Paradise beach tops in windsurfing experiences.
Best Time: October to November, and March to April is the best time for surfing in Pondicherry.
Price: INR 600 onward (per person)
9. Ziplining: Ziplining is a new range of activities that are available in Pondicherry. A zipline or an aerial runway is a pulley suspended on a strong cable wire that enables you to slide through the pulley from one corner of a height to another. It usually takes place from a height to enhance the adrenaline. And since Pondicherry has quite a lot of empty spaces, there’s a lot of scope for this fun activity too.
Location: Thrill Valley in Pondicherry’s Kalapet area is a theme park that offers several adventure activities in Pondicherry. And ziplining is a very popular activity that tourists and especially kids opt for.
Best Time: Though you can zipline during any month, avoiding monsoons is the best. Winter is the best time to zipline.
Price: INR 400 onward (per person)
10. Bungee Jumping: Bungee jumping is the activity of jumping from a great height while being connected tightly to a large elastic cord. Pondicherry is a hub of natural beauty and the green landscapes and tiny cliffs make it ideal for adventure activities like Bungee Jumping. While you’re suspended from the top and experience an adrenaline rush, you’re also immediately in awe of the scenic beauty all around you. This high octane Pondicherry adventure sports is not for the faint-hearted and make sure that you’re not someone who has a fear of heights.
Location: Pogoland, an amusement park in Pondicherry, offers one of the best bungee jumping experiences.
Best Time: October to February is a good time as the weather is moderately cooler and pleasant.
Price: INR 3,000 onward (per person)
11. Rock Climbing : Rock climbing is one of the most exhausting and rousing adventure activities in Pondicherry. It is where you tie your waist tightly to a rope while climbing up a rock, so as to avoid downfall. The best thing about Pondicherry is that it ain’t just a beach town, but also has several rock formations and boulders for tourists to indulge in this thrilling activity of rock climbing.
Location: Serenity beach in Pondicherry has great rock formations and boulders for rock climbing. You can also try for Mahabalipuram.
Best Time: You can do rock climbing throughout the year
Price: INR 600 onward
12. Hiking: Sauntering through the woods and embarking on different nature trails is what hiking is, and if you’re a passionate hiker then Pondicherry has great trails for you. Since the place is blessed with a lot of open spaces and tiny cliffs, hiking through them while exploring the flora and fauna of the place is really peaceful. Ousteri Wildlife Sanctuary has great hiking trails, and you can even camp inside, maybe against the backdrop of the beautiful Ousteri lake. The forests around Auroville Ashram have picturesque hiking trails as well. Mahabalipuram is another popular place for hiking in Pondicherry
Location: Swamimalai Hills, Mahabalipuram
Best Time: July to September, and even winter months like November and December are good for hiking as it is not too humid or hot.
Price: You can either do independent hiking through offbeat trails, which includes no cost, or sign up with local groups or guides who charge different rates according to the number of people in your group.
13. Canoeing: Canoeing is one of the most loved water sports in the country and what a better place than Pondicherry to experience it. A canoe is a lightweight narrow boat that is pointed on both its ends, and has a seating area in the middle for two to three people. This adventure activity is a lot like kayaking, the only difference being that canoeing uses a single blade paddle to row the canoe. Pondicherry has both water rapids and roughness that are highly required for a fun canoe experience. The calm winds and waves of the ocean in Pondicherry make canoeing a popular activity in this coastal city. It isn’t a difficult sport, and all you need is a life jacket, a canoe, and a paddle.
Location: The Paradise and the Karaikal beaches are perfect for canoeing enthusiasts.
Best Time: November to March is a good time for canoeing, as the weather is pleasant. Mornings are usually better as the winds are calmer.
Price: INR 2,500 to INR 3,000 onward, with safety gear, meals, and water bottle
Which are the best adventure water sports to do in Pondicherry?1. Surfing: Imagine that you’re gliding across the water surface and balancing yourself against the big waves of the sea. Surfing is super challenging yet so much fun, and Pondicherry’s Auroville or the Auro beach is apt for you to master this water sport.
2. Scuba Diving: If you were always curious to dig deeper and know what marine life looks like, Scuba diving is an apt activity for you. Pondicherry adventure sports is incomplete without you indulging in the scuba diving experience here, to unravel the aquatic wonders of the sea.3. Paddle Boarding: Balancing yourself on the paddleboard while also roving your way through the waves is a skill that is acquired with practice, and it is one of the best water sports that you can sign up for, when in Pondicherry. Bookmark the Paradise beach if you’re a serious and passionate paddleboarder.
4. Windsurfing: Another popular water sport activity, windsurfing or sailboarding is dependent on the force of the wind, and because Pondicherry is a coastal area, there is no dearth of winds here for a seamless windsurfing experience. Paradise beach will make your windsurfing dreams come true as there are many surfing schools in that area for you to check out.
5. Kitesurfing: Glide through the air while kite surfing on Pondicherry’s Paradise Beach. Make sure you’re able to balance yourself well and it is windy enough to practice kitesurfing.
6. Kayaking: Kayaking is quite a popular water sport which is also very common amongst the locals of Pondicherry. Karaikal and Paradise beach offer a plethora of kayak schools for kayaking enthusiasts.
What is the cost of paragliding in Pondicherry?Paragliding in Pondicherry costs anything between INR 600 and INR 800. Also based on the time duration, location and the type of services you opt for, the prices differ.
What is the best time for scuba diving in Pondicherry?Although you can go anytime, if you want great visibility of around 30 meters below sea level, then go between February to April, or September to November.
What is the price for ziplining in Pondicherry?Ziplining in Pondicherry costs anything between INR 300 to INR 500. There are quite a few places in Pondicherry that allow tourists to experience this amazing sport. And based on the location, your time of visit, and type of services you go for, this price may vary.
Can we do scuba diving in Pondicherry?
Yes, you can go for scuba diving in Pondicherry. In fact, it is one of the most popular adventure activities in Pondicherry for you to indulge in. Some of the best places to go scuba diving in Pondicherry include Temple Reef, Coral Shark Reef, Arvind's Wall, and The Hole. Rock Beach, Promenade Beach, and Karaikal Beach are quite famous for scuba diving adventures.
The duration of each dive can last from 20 minutes to 2 hours. The cost of scuba diving in Pondicherry varies from INR 5,000 for a day’s training and dive to INR 85,000 (approx.) for a full-fledged two-week course.
What will be the cost of surfing in Pondicherry?
The cost of surfing in Pondicherry ranges from INR 1,500 per person to INR 20,000 per person, depending on the package you choose. The minimum cost of the package is generally INR 1,500, which includes a day’s training, surfing, a trainer, and surfing gear and is usually applicable to group training.
Private lessons generally start from INR 2,000 per person. There are training packages from 5 days to 15 days, both for groups as well as private lessons.
Which places are good for kid adventure activities in Pondicherry?
The best adventure activities for kids in Pondicherry are wall climbing, trekking, paintball, canoeing, camping, sailing, parasailing, go karting, boating, cycling, yachting, high rope traversing, surfing, scuba diving, swimming, rock climbing, and kayaking.
Apart from the above activities, kids can also visit numerous places in Pondicherry, such as, Kallialay School, Auroville, Pondicherry Museum, Dune Eco Village, Roof Gardens, The Pelican Playhouse, and Sita Cultural Center.
Where can I do snorkeling in Pondicherry?
The best place to do snorkeling in Pondicherry is Aravind’s Wall. The place is well-known for its diverse range of sea creatures, such as parrotfish, eels, lionfish, triggerfish, whales, reef sharks, sea turtles, sea snakes, and rays. It is also known as the ‘go-to-destination’ for snorkeling.
Since snorkeling is one of the top Pondicherry adventure activities of all time, there are numerous places and packages that offer this adventure sport. A few other recommendations for snorkeling in Pondicherry are The Hole, Danny’s Eel Sanctuary, Temple Adventures, and Cool Shark Reef. You can also opt for professional snorkeling lessons and become an instructor of the same.
Aurobindo Ashram or the Sri Aurobindo Ashram is a spiritual group (ashram) situated in the union territory of Pondicherry. The ashram was a small community that expanded over some time as more and more disciples of Aurobindo Ghose gathered around to seek spirituality. Aurobindo Ghose founded this ashram after he left his political career and aspired to inherit spiritualism in his life. A few followers of Aurobindo joined him in the ashram with the same aim of seeking spirituality. Located in eastern Pondicherry, Sri Aurobindo Ashram has become a hub of tourists who are inclined towards divinity and simplicity in their lifestyle. The ashram is popular not only in India but also in other countries because of the work put forth by the community towards the healing of humanity. The ashram in its initial days only had a few buildings but later, as more and more people joined, the ashram grew bigger and presently, it consists of many small buildings that are adjacent to each other. The ashram provides all the basic needs of its members for living a healthy and simple life. There is a library in the ashram where members can read and learn about the history and teachings of the place. Also, there are various cultural facilities like dance, theatre, music, arts, and sports for the all-round development of the members. The ashram is managed by a board of five trustees who make sure that the legacy and vision of Aurobindo Ghose remains in the ashram.History of Aurobindo Ashram:After quitting politics, Aurobindo Ghose spent most of his time writing and meditating in the ashram. From 1910 to 1920, the ashram had a few members alongside Aurobindo who all lived a simple life involving reading, writing and doing their daily chores. In 1920, Mirra Alfassa or “The Mother” who was regarded as the “spiritual collaborator” of Aurobindo returned to Pondicherry and lived in the ashram. Soon, more and more people came in the ashram and it gradually became a community under the umbrella of Aurobindo and the Mother. In 1926, the formal foundation of the ashram was done and this resulted in more and more people coming to the ashram. From just 24 people in 1927 to 150 in 1934, the ashram started to grow like a community. Over the years, as the ashram grew in numbers more and more departments were formed and the sadhaks looked after the departments as a part of their sadhana. Today, the ashram is spread throughout the town in around 400 buildings and houses more than 2000 sadhaks. Highlights of Aurobindo Ashram:-Aurobindo Ghose founded the ashram in 1926 after quitting his career in politics -Mother (Mirra Alfassa) companion of Aurobindo carried on the legacy of the ashram after Aurobindo’s death in 1950.-One of the biggest Ashrams in India, Aurobindo Ashram housing more than 2000 people living and serving each other. -Auroville, the city of dawn was the brainchild of Mother. Auroville is associated with the ashram in its ideological structure and well-being.-Aurobindo Ashram publishes many periodicals about the essence of spirituality and peace in life-It takes around 2-3 hours to see the entire ashram
Rock Beach, often referred to as the Promenade Beach or Pondicherry Beach is a beachfront located along the Bay of Bengal. The coastline of this beach is 1.5 km long and starts at the War Memorial built at the beginning of the beach, while ends at the Dupleix Park built at the Goubert Avenue. Unfortunately, this beach is not open for taking dips in the sea or any water sport activities, but many visit the place during sunrise and sunset for walking, jogging or taking a stroll. The beach is clustered with tetrapods along the coastline, while a concrete pathway has been constructed which is flanked with cafes, restaurants and pubs. These restaurants serve various cuisines including French, Indian, Arabic and Chinese. Some of the places have live band performances that attract many tourists. The restaurants and pubs do not allow any customers after midnight and shut down before 1:00 AM.Apart from restaurants, there are shopping boutiques that sell textile materials, home décor and souvenirs for you to take home. The various hotels built around the beach provide several stay-at options for foreigners and local travellers. There are no vehicles allowed on the concrete and paved path, but there is a parking space provided at the entrance where you can give a fee of NR 5 and let the watchman take care of your vehicle.One may encounter various hawkers and vendors selling balloons, neon bands and tiaras whose presence may be vexing. The beach is not as crowded on weekdays as it is on weekends.
The Raj Niwas building is constructed on the foundation of a hotel named Hotel De La Compagnie. This is the government house of the Pondicherry and is a blend of both Indian and French architecture. The previous name of this Raj Niwas is Palais du Government. The Raj Niwas isn’t open to public but it is one of the attractions in Pondicherry. Most of the people who went on a trip to Pondicherry will surely pay a visit to this Raj Niwas to enjoy the Indo-French architecture. The monolithic pillars, fountain are the biggest asset of this Raj Niwas. They enhance the look of the construction as well as add royalty too. The public can go into the Raj Niwas on some special days and occasions only.Location:White TownPondicherry 605001Best Time To Visit:The Best Time To Visit: Raj Niwas will be between 12 pm and 1:30 pm as you will be allowed into the house. The point to remember here is the passes are limited to 40 per day.TimingsThe Raj Niwas will be open between 12pm and 1:30 pmDistance Between Pondicherry Bus stand and Raj NivasThe distance from Pondicherry bus station to Raj Nivas is 2.6 kms which can be travelled in 4-5 mins.Image Credits: thehindu.com