Activities to Do in MahabaleshwarWhether you are looking for an adventure trip, a peaceful escape or a short jaunt to the nearby hill station, there are bountiful of things to do in Mahabaleshwar that will quench your wanderlust. Tucked away in the beautiful setting of Sahyadri Ranges, this place boasts of its mystical landscapes and surreal views.
The enchanting vistas of sunrise and sunsets, a vast expanse of lush green forests, and comfortably cool weather- Mahabaleshwar town stand as a perfect epitome of beauty and peace. Not to forget its popular strawberries which will leave your taste buds mesmerized with its sweetness. Apart from being a wonderful getaway from the monotonous city life, it is also a hub for adventures and thrilling events.
From trekking tours in Mahabaleshwar to boating, rock climbing to birdwatching, there are a plethora of things to do in Mahabaleshwar that will set your adrenaline racing. If the town has numerous undisturbed spots to rejuvenate your inner soul, you can also find trunkful of places to spend an eventful evening with your friends and family. Yes, this hilly town of Maharashtra boasts diversity for which it has earned love from people of all ages and origins.
Embark on a jungle ride in the beautiful hamlet of Tapola, explore the mystical Pratapgad Fort or bask in the charm of nature at Lingamala Falls, the list of things to do in Mahabaleshwar remains endless. The town also houses few sacred spots where one can delve into the world of spirituality and calm their mind and soul. For all the wildlife enthusiasts and nature buffs, Mahabaleshwar is no less than a paradise as it has a special point named Babington Point where one can spot a vast species of birds and animals.
During the monsoon season, this place turns into nature’s blanket with lush greenery sprawled at each of its corners. This hilly abode of Maharashtra is truly nature’s gem and if you feel tempted to pay a visit to the land of strawberries, here is a rundown of all the things to do in Mahabaleshwar that you must know before packing your bags.
Things to Do in Mahabaleshwar
People Also Ask About Mahabaleshwar Things To Do
What are the famous things to do in Mahabaleshwar?1. Visit Dhobi Waterfall: No trip to Mahabaleshwar is complete without visiting this scenic waterfall. Set amidst a lush valley and nestled between craggy rocks, this is the best place to savour the stunning beauty of nature.
The fact that this fall is not too tall doesn’t take away from its beauty, especially in the rainy season. It forms a plunge pool, before meeting the Koyna River, that’s perfect for enjoying a bath and a long soak, one of the coolest things to do in Mahabaleshwar.
Location: Old Mahabaleshwar-Petit Road.
2. See the Picturesque Panorama of Mahabaleshwar: Named after the daughter of the erstwhile 18th-century British Governor John Malcolm, this is the best place to savour the breathtaking beauty of this hill station.
Offering superb views of the Dhom Dam and Krishna Valley, this is also a great place to enjoy a mountainside sunrise and sunset. You can enjoy horse riding and traditional Maharashtrian snacks at the local shacks here.
Location: Eastern Road, Mahabaleshwar.
3. Soak in the Serenity at the Christ Church: If you are somebody who loves the intrigue of the bygone times, a visit to this 1842 church is a must. Like most British-era churches, this one has also been in disuse for quite a long time.
This seclusion, along with the misty air, lends an air of mystical charm to the place. The red-coloured church is adorned with stained glass windows, moss-covered windows, and overgrown garden areas. The Parsonage and Vestry areas are surrounded by old trees lending them a very eerie appearance that further adds on to the charm of the place, making it one of the most interesting Mahabaleshwer things to do.
Location: Satara District, Mahabaleshwar.
4. Enjoy the Strawberry Festival: The first thing that comes to one’s mind when one thinks of Mahabaleshwar is strawberries. Not only does Mahabaleshwar meet India’s maximum production, but it also holds a huge strawberry festival. Here, not only can you tuck in all the strawberries that you can for free, but also enjoy pizzas, chocolates, ice creams, and shakes made out of it.
The highlight of the place is strawberries served with freshly beaten cream. This is a great time to interact with local producers, enjoy traditional dances like lezim, and pick up the best jams and marmalades. Attending this festival is definitely one of the best things to do in Mahabaleshwar.
Location: 15/1B, Gureghar, Panchgani-Mahabaleshwar Road.
Timing: The 3-day festival is held in April each year from 9:00 am to 9:00 pm.
5. Enjoy Boating at Venna Lake: One of the best places to see the sublime beauty of Mahabaleshwar is from the waters of this beautiful lake. This man-made lake serves as the perfect vantage point to not only enjoy great views of the hill station, but also a gorgeous sunrise and sunset. Luxuriously cruising on the crystal clear waters surrounded by the cool breeze and misty views is one of the best things to do in Mahabaleshwar.
Location: Satara, Mahabaleshwar.
Entry Fee/Price: An hour-long peddle boat ride costs Rs. 440 and a rowboat ride costs Rs. 500 for an hour.
Timing: Every day from 8:00 am till sunset.
6. Enjoy Rock Climbing: Thinking of what to do in Mahabaleshwar for some adrenaline rush? The Sahyadris ranges here serve as a great location for people to enjoy exciting activities like rock climbing. The natural rock formations and well-marked climbing trails make it one of the most exciting activities in Mahabaleshwar.
Location: Village Bhose, Mahabaleshwar.
Entry fee/ Price: Approximately Rs. 300 per person.
Timings: 8:00 am to 6:00 pm.
Planning A Trip To Mahabaleshwar, Checkout Our Best-selling Mahabaleshwar Packages Now!
What are the best things to do in Mahabaleshwar at night?
1. Enjoy Thrilling Rides at Velocity Entertainmentz: Thinking of what to do in Mahabaleshwar post office hours? Your best bet is this amusement park that offers super-exciting things to do long after sundown. Enjoy go-karting, zip-lining, and bull riding and round off the day with delicious snacks and strawberry desserts at the food court here.
2. See an Amazing Sunset at Venna Lake: One of the best things to do in Mahabaleshwar is to watch the sun cast its warm golden hues on the waters of this pristine lake and finally set behind the Sahyadris in the background.
3. Enjoy a Late Dinner: Mahabaleshwar is dotted with several great restaurants for a late-night meal. There are so many choices that you don’t have to think twice about what to do in Mahabaleshwar for food. You can enjoy Chinese, Tandoori, and seafood at places like Farmhouse Bistro, The Olive Garden, and Aangan.
4. Shop at the Local Market: Head over to Town Bazaar, one of the most vibrant markets here, to explore the vibrantly lit shops. You can pick up handicrafts, strawberry jams and jellies, leather items, etc.
5. Indulge in a Sundowner: Dotted with chic bars and pubs, Mahabaleshwar offers a fun pub-hopping experience. You can indulge in a huge variety of wines, freshly-brewed beers, and mixed spirits. These places also offer great live gigs, music, and dance floors to add more to your night out. Some of the best places for a night out are Longitude 73, Plunge Bar, Angaare, etc.
6. Try Lakeside Camping at Tapola: Often referred to as ‘Mini Kashmir’ of Maharashtra, Tapola offers the perfect night-time camping experience. You can also enjoy a range of exciting activities like kayaking, swimming, bonfire, night cricket, barbecue, and music here.
Planning a Honeymoon Trip to Mahabaleshwar, Checkout the best Mahabaleshwar Honeymoon Packages
What are the best things to do in Mahabaleshwar with family?1. Tuck in the Famous Strawberries at Mapro Garden: No trip to Mahabaleshwar is complete without visiting this place that has houses almost everything that one associates with this delicious food. You can enjoy strolling amidst lush strawberry plantations, plucking your own fruits, and enjoying wood-fired pizzas, ice creams, and shakes. The place also has a chocolate factory for you to pick up handmade chocolates.
2. See a Magnificent Sunset: One of the best activities to enjoy with your family in Mahabaleshwar is to take a short hike amidst lush greenery to reach the highest point of the hill station-Wilson Point. This vantage point offers one of the best sunset views that you will see ever.
3. Savour Delicious Street Food: What’s a family vacation without food! Trying out the delicious street food is one of the best activities to do in Mahabaleshwar. The place offers a huge range of foods and cuisines like Irani, Gujarati, Mughlai, and of course traditional Maharashtrian. Don’t miss to try strawberries and cream, chill ice cream, corn pattice, and bun maska. Some of the best places to visit for food are Bagicha, HillTop Ice cream, and Lucky Bakery.
What are the adventure activities to do in Mahabaleshwar?
There are quite a lot of adventure activities to do in Mahabaleshwar.
1. Boating: A boat ride in the colourful ‘Shikara’ of Venna Lake is one of the most popular things to do in Mahabaleshwar.
2. Jungle trekking: Tapola, also known as Mini Kashmir is a great spot for jungle trekking. It is also accompanied by the pristine Shivsagar Lake.
3. Kayaking: One of the most popular adrenaline-pumping things to do in Mahabaleshwar is kayaking and other water adventure sports at Shivsagar Lake. One can also go for swimming and scooter ride at the lake.
4. Trekking: Trekking to Pratapgarh Fort, Lingmala Falls, Wilson Point, Arthur’s Seat, and Elephant’s Head Point will leave you stunned. These places offer the most mesmerizing views of the Sahyadris.
5. Horse riding: Horse riding at Table Land and Venna Lake is one of the most memorable things you can do in Mahabaleshwar.
6. Rock climbing and Ziplining: Mahabaleshwar serves as a great place for adrenaline junkies, in terms of rock climbing, zip-lining, flying fox, and similar adventures. For the best rock climbing and zip-lining experience, head over to Village Bhose in Panchgani.
Planning A Vacation To Lonavala, Checkout Our Lonavala Tour Packages Now!
Which are the famous bazaars in Mahabaleshwar?
Apart from being a traveler’s delight, Mahabaleshwar is also an idyllic destination for shopaholics who want to fetch some items at giveaway prices. Situated in the heart of the city, Town Bazaar greets you with a hustling crowd, tiny shops, and attractive handicrafts.
From leather goods to tribal jewelry, handmade clothes to footwear, one can find everything in this shopper’s paradise. Some of the other popular markets in Mahabaleshwar include Imperial Store and Mapro Garden. While Mapro Garden is a perfect place for foodies where they can get delicious fruit salads, strawberries, and ice-creams, Imperial Store welcomes its visitors with tempting wines and mouth-watering pizzas.
How can I reach Mahabaleshwar?
You can reach Mahabaleshwar in the following ways-
By Bus: Maharashtra State Road Transport Corporation (MSRTC) provides for regular bus services from nearby cities, such as Mumbai, Pune, Nasik, Panchgani, and Kolhapur.
By Train: Mahabaleshwar does not have a railway station. The closest railway station to Mahabaleshwar is Wathar. It is located at a distance of 60 km from Mahabaleshwar. There are several trains that run from Mumbai to Wathar. One can also book trains to Pune Railway Station and get a cab to Mahabaleshwar.
By Air: The closest airport to Mahabaleshwar is in Pune, which is well-connected to all the major cities in India. The airport is located at a distance of 131 km from Mahabaleshwar.
Sketching Out A Journey To Nashik, Nashik Tour Packages Now!
Which is the best time to visit Mahabaleshwar?
The best time to visit Mahabaleshwar is from December to February. However, Mahabaleshwar is worth visiting throughout the year.
Summer season (March –June): The temperature is moderately high at this time of the year. It usually drifts between 5 degree Celsius and 35 degree Celsius.
Monsoon Season (July – September): The temperature usually drifts between 20 and 25 degree Celsius. The weather is cool and misty during monsoon. However, the roads become quite slippery due to heavy showers. Nonetheless, the emerald green of the hillside is quite refreshing to witness during the rains.
Winter Season (October – February): The best time to visit Mahabaleshwar is during winter. The temperature drops to an average of 10 to 24 degree Celsius. There is no snowfall in Mahabaleshwar.
How many days are enough for Mahabaleshwar?
If you are on a visit to this hill station of Maharashtra, you can’t afford to miss even one scenic spot. Normally, the entire town of Mahabaleshwar can be covered within 3 days. If you cover around 3-4 spots in a day, you will still be left with enough energy to get back to your hotel and enjoy an eventful evening with your family.
Normally, each spot includes 30 minutes of travel time and if you take another 1 hour for exploring the spot, you still have a lot of time in your hand to recharge yourself for the next day.
What is Mahabaleshwar famous for?
Mahabaleshwar is famous for its scenic beauty. The town is enveloped by the Sahyadri range on all sides. It is also popular for its numerous tourist attractions, such as Venna Lake, Parsi Point, Lodwick Point, Lingmala Falls, and Elephant’s Head Point.
Mahabaleshwar also offers stunning views of sunrise and sunset. Connaught Peak is the best place to witness a sunrise. Sunsets are exceptionally good from The Bombay Point. Mahabaleshwar is also known for its strawberry farms. Mapro Garden is the best place to find abundant strawberry plantations. The Garden also hosts the annual Strawberry Festival that usually takes place in the month of May. The place is also quite famous for the divine Mahabaleshwar Temple, dedicated to Lord Shiva.
What can I buy in Mahabaleshwar?
The shopping streets of Mahabaleshwar have something for everyone. Though it is hugely popular for its handicraft items available at Town Bazaar, one can also please their taste buds by purchasing delicious strawberries from the well-known Mapro Garden.
If you are an art lover, don’t miss out on its streetside stores which sell tribal trinkets, toys, and handcrafted artifacts. Some other items which can be purchased from here include pickles, juice concentrates, Pappads, honey, syrups, and fruit crushes. With so much of variety in its reserve, shopping is an unmissable thing to do in Mahabaleshwar.
Where can I stay in Mahabaleshwar?
Mahabaleshwar is a nature’s blanket with its lush green landscapes, majestic hills, and dense forests. If you wish to quadruple the charm of your stay here, it is important to find a perfect accommodation.
The best accommodation in Mahabaleshwar can not only offer you lucrative packages but also spoil you with their luxurious amenities and enthralling indoor activities. Some of the well-known resorts in Mahabaleshwar which promise a hassle-free stay experience to the visitors include Valley View Resort, Gautam Resort, and Brightland Resort.
The town also has few villas which give you an experience of home away from home. The best villas which have gained immense popularity with their outstanding services include Villa stay and Isabella Bungalow.
Planning A Honeymoon Trip Matheran, Checkout Our Matheran Honeymoon Packages Now!
What is the ideal duration for a holiday in Mahabaleshwar?
The ideal duration for a holiday in Mahabaleshwar should be at least 3 days. You can also visit this hill town for a weekend if you live in Mumbai or a close-by area.
On the first day, you can visit scenic places, such as Venna Lake, Arthur’s Seat, Pratapgarh Fort, and Mahabaleshwar Temple. Spend your evening looking at the mesmerizing mountain views.Witness the sunrise on the second day and go for a trek to Lingmala Falls to soak in the beauty of nature.
There are many activities to do in Mahabaleshwar. On the third day, you can indulge in boating, zip-lining, bird watching, rock climbing, and horse riding, before leaving this quaint hill town.
How far is Mahabaleshwar from Mumbai and how to reach there?
Mahabaleshwar is situated at a distance of 263.5 Km from Mumbai. This distance can be easily covered within 5 hours. There are several modes of transport available in Mumbai through which you can reach Mahabaleshwar.
One of the best ways to enjoy your journey is by hiring a taxi or by self-driving. If you don’t want to spend heavily on transportation, you can also book the train tickets from Dadar railway station. A plethora of people also opt for the bus journey to reach the scenic town of Mahabaleshwar.
Which restaurants serve the best food in Mahabaleshwar?
Restaurants that serve the best food in Mahabaleshwar are-
1. The Grapevine: One of the main things to do in Mahabaleshwar is to relish in the delectable Indian, Continental and Thai cuisine at this popular restaurant.
2. Elsie’s Dairy and Bakery: If you love cakes and other bakery products, then do not miss to visit this bakery-cum-café, which was established in 1849.
3. Bagicha Corner: Located in the Mapro Garden, this restaurant serves the best milkshakes in Mahabaleshwar. The shakes here are served in a variety of flavours, such as strawberry, Oreo, and mango.
4. Mad Smokehouse: One of the most popular restaurants in Mahabaleshwar, this one is known for its Mediterranean and seafood. The ambience of the place is one-of-a-kind
What are the best public transport modes to commute around Mahabaleshwar?
The government-run buses are the best mode of public transport to commute in and around Mahabaleshwar. These buses travel to all the main attractions in the town. There are two routes that these buses follow, namely, the Pratapgarh Darshan and the Mahabaleshwar Darshan. They are safe and the tickets are affordable. You can also hire a cab to travel around the town.
Which are some comfortable homestays in Mahabaleshwar?
Some of the most comfortable homestays in Mahabaleshwar are-
Mount Villa: A fabulous homestay located close to the magnificent Lingmala Falls, Mount Villa boasts of a big garden area, big and spacious rooms with a view and attached bathrooms, and a kitchen.
Eden Villa: This property is located quite close to many popular tourist attractions, such as Mapro Garden, Lingmala Falls, Mahabaleshwar Temple, and Venna Lake. The homestay is affordable and offers all the basic amenities, such as Wi-Fi, private parking, running water, and 24-hour room service.
GK Homestay: A beautiful property located 5 km away from Elephant’s Head Point and 6 km from Venna Lake, G K Homestay offers stunning views of the Sahyadri Mountain ranges. The wooden property also provides for services like free Wi-Fi, parking, room service, 24-hour running water, and on-request taxi.
Planning A Getaway To Panchgani, Checkout Our Panchgani Tour Packages Now!
What is there to do in Mahabaleshwar at night?
One of the best things to do in Mahabaleshwar during night is to hit some vibrant and pulsating pubs, like The Electrique Mist and The Tarang Bar. You can even enjoy a strawberry milkshake at Mapro Garden or enjoy the sunset at Wilson Point or Venna Lake. A stroll through the popular Town Bazaar is one of the unique things in Mahabaleshwar to try during night. Velocity Entertainmentz is also a great option to hang out at night with your group. It offers interesting activities, such as go-karting, bull riding, drop tower, and strawberry parlour.