Adventure in KodaikanalAdventure activities in Kodaikanal is one of the significant reasons the hill station is famous for. With treacherous terrains, the place gives you options for hiking up to various sites. These sites are the award for all the pain and challenge you took. The views of multiple villages and valleys look breathtaking from this distance. The clear streams and gushing waterfalls look like gems studded in the rocks.
These streams make for excellent water sports like river rafting. The waterfalls and vertical rock cliffs are perfect for a memorable rappelling experience. You can even parasail in the clear skies of Kodaikanal to get the view of green carpets underneath. All these adventure activities near Kodaikanal makes up for an excellent trip to the hill station.
With that, camping gives you a chance to explore the orthodox villages and know the tradition of the place. You can even buy some regional arts and souvenirs or some fresh fruits, spices and coffee. Every element of Adventure activities in Kodaikanal sums up to a great experience that will teach you some skills which will stay with you forever.
People Also Ask About Adventure in Kodaikanal
Which are some famous adventure activities in Kodaikanal?
There are a lot of famous Adventure activities in Kodaikanal. Here is the list covering some of the excellent choices you can make there.
1. Kodaikanal to Kumbakarai Trek From Chennai
The route from Kodaikanal to Kumbakarai covers breathtaking sights of Dolphin's Nose, temples, Cardamom farms, Coffee plantations and Lemon farms. The trail passes through the tall eucalyptus trees while spotting various gushing waterfalls. It will be a 4-8 hours trek in cold weather of Kodaikanal hill at an elevation of 2,000 m from the sea level. You will cross a tiny village on the way, named Vellagavi. If you are planning on camping, then this ought to be your destination. Also, there will be a downhill stream which is clean and fresh as the starting point of it is Kodaikanal itself. Enjoy this fantastic trek in the months from September to April.
2. Trekking to Dolphin’s Nose
It is a 4-hour trek taking you to an elevation of 6,600 feet from sea level. This 3 km long trek trails through the forests of pines and rocks of the Palani Hill Range. You can explore various hidden waterfalls and a small local village en route. The treacherous journey through rocky pathways will be totally worth to where your trek will end. Dolphin’s Nose is a flat rock formation resembling the nose of the marine fish, dolphins. You can stand on this narrow cliff and have a 360-degree view of the panoramic landscape. You can spend some time here and then decide if you want to get down or explore more.
3. Mountain Camping and Trekking in Kodaikanal
Kodaikanal’s beauty and the fact that it is brilliant for trekking is not a secret anymore. It will be the perfect idea to hike up to a magnificent sight in Kodaikanal through the thick woods of pine. You will enjoy a great deal of flora and fauna, including coffee and spice plantations. Then you can set up a camp to rest for the night while engaging in bird watching in the day time. It is also possible to add some more adventure sports in the whole plan. Later, a musical night with bonfire will perfectly complement with a barbeque. You can spend the rest of the night gazing at stars and sharing exciting stories of yours.
4. Scenic Trek to Canopy Hill, Vattakanal
If you are looking for a slightly tricky trek in Kodaikanal, then this is your way. This trek to Canopy hill will take you through haphazard steeping slopes in think jungles of the western ghats. You will come across some deeply hidden waterfalls and breathtaking views. The trek will be a little spooky because of the bushes, but that is what adventure means. Look for the rich fauna like Bison, Wild Goats and Porcupines in the forest and spot some unique birds on the way. Once you reach Vattakanal, you can buy fresh fruits and spices grown and sold by the locals. All over, the trip will be an authentic and adventurous experience to count.
5. Camping in Kodaikanal With Multi-Adventure Activities
The tall Shola trees cover some parts of Kodaikanal, which are great for camping. The hilly terrains make an excellent spot for adventurous activities. Thrillophilia provides you with the ultimate package for camping in Kodaikanal, which is inclusive of around 35 adventurous activities to choose from. The campsite is set near 2 waterfalls on the hilly terrains at the height of 2,100 meters from sea level. The activities are divided between three types: Rope Courses, Assault Courses and Team Building. These activities ensure safety, self-growth, encouraging team values and definitely fun to engage in, making your camping experience worthwhile.
River rafting is a great adventure activity which promises a good rush of adrenaline hormone throughout your nerves. It becomes even more special if done amidst the best atmosphere of nature with an abundance of flora and mighty mountains. Kodai river flows proudly in the terrains of Kodaikanal. This river is perfect for a good experience of white river rafting amidst the beautiful surrounding of Kodaikanal filled with amazing views and lush greens.
Which resorts are good for some adventure activities in Kodaikanal?
There are several resorts which provides you with engaging Adventure activities in Kodaikanal. This is the list of few resorts which have distinct activities for you.
1. Sterling Kodai Lake Resort: The resort provides you with a wide range of adventurous activities. You can indulge in Air Hockey, Archery, ATV Quad Biking, Body Zorbing, Cycling, Jeep Safari, Land Zorbing, Paintball, Treks and Trails.
2. Kodai Resort Hotel: The resort customises tours to 16 major attractions of Kodaikanal which includes vehicle and a guide facility too. Moreover, you can have an open barbeque party in lawn along with a bonfire.
3. Holiday Home Resort: The resort has two tour packages to choose from.
-Local Sightseeing: Coaker’s Walk, St. Mary’s Church, Upper Lake View, Shanti Valley View, Pine Forest, Pillar Rock, Green valley view, 500 Years Old Tree, Bryant Park and Lake Drop.
-Village Tour: Pine forest, Kundar Falls, Palani Hill View, Poombarai Village view, Mannavanur Lake View, Mannavanur Lake
4. Lilly’s Valley: The resort arranges a horse which you and your family can ride around the lake. Moreover, they have a travel desk where you can put your demands, and they will make the activities and sightseeing available for you.
When is the best time to visit Kodaikanal?
The best time to visit Kodaikanal is the winter months. However, the temperature here remains pleasant throughout the year, supporting tourism and Adventure activities near Kodaikanal.
Winter: October to March: The weather remains pleasant during the day and chilly at night, which is appropriate for outdoor activities. It is post-monsoon season, and you will find immense greenery and sprouting waterfalls in the area. You can also attend the Pongal festival.
Summer: April to June: It is also a good time to visit here in soothing temperature in the day and cold at night. But post-monsoon season has already set off and the surroundings would not be at its best.
Monsoon: July To September: These are the wet months of the year making outdoor activities difficult. If you can handle that, then it is advisable to go there.
What are the best campsites in Kodaikanal?1. Dolphin’s Nose: Home to the panoramas of scenic landscape, the camping site of Dolphin’s Nose can be reached by spending some time hiking around the best of nature. Known to be one of the best Kodaikanal adventure places, Dolphin’s nose is situated at a height of 1550 m and a session of camping here will let you enjoy the beautiful sceneries of the glittering night sky.
2. Kodaikanal Lake: Camping along a lake has its own charm and the beautiful human made Kodaikanal Lake makes sure that your experience of camping becomes a memorable one. The shining water of the lake is home to a beautiful marine life and the surroundings here are dotted with lush green and manicured lawns.
A session of camping here will make sure that you enjoy a fun filled evening with your friends and family.
3. Bear Shola Falls: This small waterfall is home to one of the biggest Kodaikanal adventure, which is waterfall camping. One can reach here by trekking for a while through the forest towards the beautiful scenery of the gushing streams hitting the floor of rocks.
Since the waterfall is located in a remote area, one may not be able to have access to all top notch facilities but the experience one avails here undoubtedly clears the difference.
4. Silver Cascade Falls: Offering the campers with a beautiful scenery of fast gushing streams hitting the rocks and creating a cloud of foam, this steep waterfall provides the best site for camping. The panoramic views of the valley around it and the starry night sky adds to the experience and makes a session of camping a memorable one.
5. Vattakanal: Just a half an hour drive from Kodaikanal will take you to Vattakanal, a place famous for offering the tourists a chance to indulge in jungle camping. The thrill and the rush in adrenaline while setting up the tent for a session of camping here is unforgettable and exceptional.
The charm of nature and the beautiful pine forests make sure that you enjoy many eye catching sceneries while resting in your tents.
What are the best adventure treks in Kodaikanal?1. Pambar Waterfall: A 5 KM long trail awaits you here and will take you towards the beautiful scenery of the gushing Pambar Waterfall. The trek towards this multi-tiered waterfall is moderately difficult, thus anyone having a basic level of physique can complete it without any fatigue. However, the trail consists of many steep slopes, thus a little knowledge of trekking is required.
2. Pillar Rock Trek: A trek towards these vertical pillar shaped rocks takes around 4 to 5 hours to get completed and is undoubtedly one of the best Kodaikanal adventure one can think of. The route to the top goes through many beautiful farms of local vegetation and numerous rocky terrains. The trek towards the top is easy and anyone having basic knowledge of trekking can complete it.
3. Bear Shola Waterfalls: Taking you through the dense woods, steep slopes and rocky terrains, a 2 KM long trek towards this waterfall is dotted with many beautiful sceneries. The path to the top may be a bit difficult, but takes no time to get completed. Reaching this gushing waterfall is one of the most famous adventure activities in Kodaikanal.
4. Dolphin’s Nose Trek: The location is named so as it represents the shape of a dolphin's nose and from here, one can marvel at the beautiful panoramas of the whole valley. The trek towards the Dolphin’s Nose is considered to be easy and even a beginner can complete it.
5. Silver Cascade Waterfall: Located in the lush green forests, this waterfall has been a favourite destination of trekkers and thrill seekers. To reach here one has to trek for a distance of 8 KM and it takes around 5 to 6 hours to get completed.
Even after having a long route, the waterfall can be easily reached as the route is simple and does not have any rocky area or steep slope. Once you reach the top, the beautiful scenery of the gushing streams is truly breathtaking.
Is Kodaikanal safe for adventure sports?Yes, adventure activities in Kodaikanal are totally safe for everyone. From life jackets to safety harnesses, everything is provided there. Every adventure sport location comprises a first aid kit and a doctor on call facility can also be availed.
Is it worth visiting Kodaikanal for adventure activities?Yes, opting for adventure sports in Kodaikanal is surely worth it as here you will indulge in the best adrenaline pumping activities, and that too amidst the best of green nature. The experiences one indulges in here takes them closer to nature and let them enjoy the best vacation of their life.
What is Kodaikanal famous for?Referred to as the “Queen of the Hill Stations”, Kodaikanal is famous for its lush green and pollution free nature. The adventure sports in Kodaikanal also attract numerous people and make sure they experience the required thrill on an adventurous trip.
What things to carry before going trekking in Kodaikanal?Some must carry thing when going for trekking in Kodaikanal include:
- Layerable clothes
- Proper sized shoes
- Bottle of water
- Multi-utility kit
- First aid box
- Personal medicine
- Nuts and food with higher fibre content
- Sanitary products and toiletries
What things I should keep in mind before going for Dolphin's Nose Trek?
There are several things which you should keep in mind before going for Dolphin’s Nose Trek:
- You will be passing through thick woods on uneven routes making comfortably fitting shoes an essential.
- You need to be prepared for leeches in the forest.
- In monsoon, the tracks will be muddy and slippery.
- Stay clear of the dangerous edges.
What clothes should I wear in Kodaikanal?
You should wear Tracksuit or Gym clothes which fits you properly but aren’t too tight for you to support all of your Kodaikanal adventure activities. It would be better if the clothes are stretchable and made of cotton. Moreover, you should take care of the following things:
- Comfortable shoes that fits properly
- A warm jacket for the night
- A side bag to carry essentials like water bottle