1. Shikara Ride in Dal Lake: Are you wondering what to do in Kashmir? Go for one of the most famous and loved Shikara rides that will let you endure the eternal beauty. Feel the bliss of the calm waters of Dal Lake or Nagin Lake while rejoicing the incredible natural bounty around and be astonished.
Watch seaweed variety and clusters of fishes, or shop for some traditional handicrafts or beautiful flowers from the floating markets, while enjoying a soothing sightseeing tour on a traditional Shikara, and mark your trip with fascinating memories.
-Location: Dal Lake or Nagin Lake, Srinagar City, Jammu and Kashmir
-Timings: 10 AM to 9 PM
2. Stay in a houseboat: One of the best activities to do in Kashmir includes a short yet mesmerizing stay in a houseboat. Known as the floating houses, these offer a chance to experience the traditional Kashmiri life while staying over the serene water of Dal Lake or Nagin Lake.
Suitable for couples, families to groups, the stay in a traditional houseboat is extremely rewarding. Enjoy the natural bounty while having traditional meals and relish a comfortable stay in a beautifully carved houseboat that features essential modern amenities and Kashmiri warm hospitality.
-Location: Dal Lake, Srinagar, Jammu, and Kashmir, India
3. Skiing in Gulmarg: If you are looking for adventurous things to do in Kashmir, go skiing in the beautiful snow capped valleys of Gulmarg. Experience your adrenaline rush and relish the beauty around you while skiing through.
Known as one of the best ski resorts, it offers numerous easy to difficult slopes that attract amateurs to expert skiers. Gulmarg turns into the most happening place in Kashmir in winters and a haven for all snow sports and adventure lovers. So, if you want to enjoy something thrilling, do include skiing in Gulmarg on your bucket list.
-Location: Gulmarg, Jammu and Kashmir, India
-Timings: 11 AM to 5 PM
4. Take a Gondola Cable Car Ride: Marvel at multiple wonders and enjoy the world's second-highest cable car experience in Gulmarg. Explore the beautiful snow capped mountain ranges in Kashmir while riding high in the air in a cozy cabin with this world-famous Gondola Cable Car Ride and be stunned by nature's glory.
This must not miss activity in Gulmarg suits all sorts of travelers from family vacationers, romantic couples to adventurer seekers. The ride happens in 3 phases, first two are through closed cabins while the last phase includes the chairlift.
-Location: Gulmarg to Kongdori to Apharwat Peak / Mary Shoulder
-Timings: 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM
5. Savor the Local Cuisine of Kashmir: To please the traveler in you, Kashmir offers a promenade of traditional cuisines. The renowned delicacies not only leave you fascinated but can surely satisfy the foodie in you.
To have the best experience of local food, stroll around the small alleys and the local markets and taste the local dishes prepared by natives. Do not forget to taste the Kashmiri Kahwa, Paneer Chaman, Saag, and several other non-veg dishes like Rogan Josh, Modur Pulao, Matschgand, etc. Each dish offered is unique and can highlight your exquisite Kashmir journey.
6. Shopping: No trip can be complete without buying the traditional handicraft or specialty of that region. It is even said that one of the most enduring things to do in Kashmir is shopping.
Strolling through the local markets lets you discover splendid souvenirs that are offered here at small stalls to big stores. Be it antique items, astonishing copper wares, or fresh handcrafted products, Kashmir offers everything. World-famous shawls, carpets, and the best variety of fruits are a few items that must be picked before getting back to your home
-Timings: 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM (for all markets and showrooms)
7. Paragliding: Amongst the most renowned adventurous activities to do in Kashmir, Paragliding is truly enthralling. Dropping yourself high from the mountains and gazing over Kashmir's beauty from atop is not only surreal but can make you experience something extraordinary.
Feel the rush in your adrenaline while rejoicing the majestic lush valleys beneath you with paragliding. And make sure to click pictures or ask for a recorded video to share your guts with your friends. You can club your paragliding experience with little treks in the surrounding area and make it more memorable.
-Location: Sonamarg, Gulmarg, Bhaderwah, Sanasar, Srinagar
-Timings: 9:00 AM - 3:00 PM
8. Explore the Old Srinagar: Discover the true Kashmiri life, culture, and traditions of Kashmir with a walking tour of the Old Srinagar. Exploring some hidden gems, visiting some historic points of interest like Spice Market, Budshah Tomb, Hari Parbat Fort, etc., and tasting local dishes at street-side restaurants will definitely amaze you to the core.
With a tour to the Old City in Srinagar, you will cross winding alleys, get to meet locals, discover their culture and see the old houses and get the real taste of the Kashmiri lifestyle.
9. Pay a visit to Kheer Bhawani Temple: Are you wondering, what to do in Kashmir that brings utmost peace? Then visit Kheer Bhawani Temple in Tulla Mulla village near Srinagar. One of the most famous holy shrines of Hindus, this is visited by devotees to seek the blessings of the deity and experience immense bliss.
The temple is dedicated to Goddess Ragnya Devi and is named Kheer Bhawani as devotees serve Kheer to please and seek blessings of the Goddess.
-Location: Tulmulla - Dangerpora Link Rd, Tulmulla, Srinagar, Jammu, and Kashmir, India
-Timings: 6:00 AM to 8:00 PM
10. Pony Ride Excursion: Riding a friendly pony is also one of the most engaging things to do in Kashmir. It lets you enjoy the ancient way of traveling and feel like locals. Endure the experience while crossing the beautiful valleys and collect several cherishable memories of crossing well-known to hidden treasures of the region.
Kashmir is blessed with various gorgeous destinations from Pahalgam, Gulmarg, to Patnitop, Sanasar, and Kishtwar that offer great opportunities to enjoy the experience of pony rides and have an everlasting journey.
-Location: Gulmarg, Sonamarg, Pahalgam, Yusmarg, Patnitop, Sanasar, Kud, Nubra, Zanskar, and Drass valley.
-Timings: 10:00 AM to 8:00 PM
11. Stroll at Indira Gandhi Memorial Tulip Garden: Do you want to dive into the aura of a variety of flowers spread across wide lands? Then head towards the Indira Gandhi Memorial Tulip Garden. Home to a variety of gorgeous flowers, it is the largest tulip garden of its kind in entire Asia. And visiting this place with your family or beloved makes your trip truly fascinating.
If you are planning a Kashmir trip between March & May, plan it during the Tulip Festival held annually in the garden and be amazed by the rainbow of colors that gets exuded with a variety of blooming flowers.
-Location: Indira Gandhi Memorial Tulip Garden, Cheshma Shahi Road, Rainawari, Srinagar, Jammu and Kashmir
-Timings: 7:00 AM to 7:30 PM
12. Play Golf: Offering invigorating surroundings and well-managed courses in Gulmarg and Srinagar, Kashmir is a great destination to enjoy the game of Golf. Playing golf amidst the surroundings of chinar and pine in Kashmir is not only exciting but offers pleasant reminiscences of playing at the world's highest green golf course as well.
Golfing in Kashmir is also preferred for the pleasant climate and comfortable temperatures as it enables the players to enjoy the game for longer hours.
-Location: Srinagar/Gulmarg/Pahalgam Golf Course, Jammu, and Kashmir
-Timings: 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM
13. Bird Watching: One of the most soothing things to do in Kashmir is to watch beautiful birds flapping their wings or bobbing their heads. This region is a gorgeous haven for bird watchers as it is home to more than 550 native and 262 migratory birds.
Head to Hokersar for seeing several varieties of ducks like Tufted Duck, Garganey, Brahminy Duck Greylag Goose, and Northern Pintail, or plan a visit to Dachigam to get the views of monal pheasant, blood pheasant, crimson tragopan, golden eagle or koklass pheasant. Dal Lake is also great for watching a variety of migratory birds in the winter season.
-Location: Dal Lake/Hokersar/Dachigam National Park/Gulmarg Biosphere Reserve
14. Visit Shalimar Bagh: Be mesmerized by the Persian beauty of this architectural and ancient marvel, the Shalimar Bagh, which dates back to the 17th century. Either stroll along this gorgeous garden decorated with ornate terraces, fountains, flowers, or just sit back and relax and soak in the serene environment and surroundings.
The Chini Khanas are other highlights of the Shalimar Bagh that amuse the visitors with their undulating charm and a dazzling sight of oil-lit lamps. A beautifully designed canal that passes through the center of the garden also makes the visit more enticing.
-Location: Chinar chowk, Shalimar, Srinagar, Jammu and Kashmir 191121
-Timings: 9:00 AM to 7:00 PM
15. Wildlife Tour: Spot the exotic animals of Kashmir in the region's famous national parks and wildlife sanctuaries with a wildlife tour and capture them in your camera to keep the memories intact. Dachigam National Park, Kishtwar High Altitude National Park, Gulmarg Biosphere Reserve, and Overa National Park are the most beautiful destinations for a wildlife tour in Kashmir.
With a wildlife tour or jeep safari, you get the chance to spot a variety of animals and birds like Kashmir stag, wild cats, leopard, Himalayan black bear, musk deer, wild goats, etc. in their natural habitat.
16. Camping: With a diverse landscape stretching from the golden meadows of Sonamarg, the valley of Pahalgam to the Great Lakes amidst high Himalayan peaks, Kashmir offers ample opportunities for camping amidst nature. Spending the nights right under the sky in a temporary tent is truly extraordinary and a must for all experiential travelers.
Camping not only offers a thrilling escape but is also a rejuvenating experience for relishing natural surroundings, birds chirping, star-lit sky, bonfire nights, and traditional recipes along with some necessary modern amenities. From Pahalgam, Aru, Gulmarg, Chandanwari, Sonamarg, Yusmarg, Sanasar, Baisaran, to Patnitop, camping destinations in Kashmir are plenty.