Things to do in InterlakenExplore the hiking trails, Enjoy the experience of paragliding, Amuse your taste buds at Funky Chocolate Club, Pay a visit to St. Beatus Caves, Visit Jungfraujoch, White water rafting on Lutschine river, Visit Botanical Alpine Gardens and Fetch a drink at Victoria Jungfrau Grand Hotel.
If you are looking for things to do in Interlaken, be ready to be surprised. With a bountiful of adventure sports and leisure activities, this place will spoil you for choices. Cradled between the mesmerizing lakes of Brienz and Thun, Interlaken is a dream destination for fun-seekers and travel enthusiasts. Famous as the adventure capital of Switzerland, this vibrant town welcomes you with a trunkful of enthralling activities and surreal landscapes. One of the most relaxing activities to do in Interlaken is visiting Thun Lake cruise and relishing the impeccable views of the old-age buildings of the town.
From boarding a train to Jungfraujoch, the highest railway station in Europe to hiking around Harder Kulm, numerous activities in Interlaken will set your adrenaline pumping. Though the town is primarily known for its adventure sports, one can also visit here for a leisure vacation. Being a home to quaint spots like Mt. Niesen, Lauterbrunnen, and Schilthorn, Interlaken has gained immense popularity among solitude seekers. On your visit to Interlaken, you can also explore its popular food joints like Funky Chocolate Club.
Their chocolate-fondue is definitely worth a try and will leave you craving for more. If you are tired after a whole day of sightseeing and adventure sports, head to the green Alpine Gardens and spend some time in the lap of nature. Here, you will get to relish the impeccable views of Alps and around 650 plant species. For absolute nature buffs, a visit to Alpine Gardens is one of the most preferred activities to do in Interlaken. Interlaken town is bestowed with a perfect blend of adventure, fun, natural beauty, and luxury. While its vibrant nightlife will make you dance with joy, the captivating beauty of the town will sweep away your stress and anxiety. So, if your Interlaken trip is around the corner, here is everything that you need to know in advance.
Places to Visit and Things to Do in Interlaken
People Also Ask About Interlaken Things To Do
Which are the best tourist places to visit in Interlaken?
1. Mt. Jungfraujoch: Cradled between the two popular mountains Jungfrau and Monch, Mt Jungfraujoch is an alpine attraction of Interlaken. It is settled at an altitude of 3454 meters and hence, forms a perfect destination to relish the bird's eye view of the town.
From the iconic Ice Palace to Sphinx Observatory and Swiss Chocolate Heaven, there are several top-notch attractions at this hilly paradise which quadruples its charm.
Location: Mt. Jungfraujoch, Interlaken
Entry fee: 15 CHF-90 CHF
2. Lake Thun: Settled amidst mountains and hills, Lake Thun is among the most sought-after places in Interlaken. If you wish to make the most out of your Lake Thun trip, hire a cruise boat to explore the ardent beauty of this place.
The lake also houses a historical museum which has a unique collection of 14th-century furniture, arms, Roman artefacts, and tapestries. The shore of Lake Thun is dotted with Romanesque churches.
Location: Lake Thun, Interlaken, Switzerland
Planning a trip to France? Checkout & Book: France Tours
3. Rugen Forest: There is no better way to bask in the warmth of sun than taking an early morning toboggan ride through the lush green Rugen Forests. The ride appeals to both kids and adults alike.
If you are an adventure junkie, you can also head to the nearby park in Wagner Gorge Area and experience various adrenaline sports.
Location: Rugen Forest, Interlaken, Switzerland
4. Alpine Garden: With ethereal views of Monch, Eiger, and Jungfrau, Alpine Garden is one of its kind in the Interlaken town. This beautiful attraction has about 700 species of plants which are native to Swiss Alps.
The gardens are nestled at an altitude of 1967 meters above sea level, which provide a vivid view of Alpine flora. If you are a nature buff, this is an ideal relaxation spot for spending peaceful time away from the city crowd.
Location: Bergstation Schynige Platte-Bahn, Interlaken, Switzerland
Planning for a honeymoon trip to France? Checkout: France Honeymoon Packages
5. Mount Titlis: Mount Titlis is one of the most charismatic tourist attractions in Swiss Alps, which is easily accessible from Engelberg. If you wish to spend a whole day in Mount Titlis, you can book your stay in Lucerne.
Apart from hiking and skiing, this place is also known for adventure sports like Cliff Walk, Glacier Walk, Ice Flying, and Sledding. Mount Titlis is also an ideal place for people who wish to get in touch with nature. Its Alpine Flower trail is another thing that adds to its glory and charm.
Location: Mount Titlis, Interlaken, Switzerland
Entry Fee: CHF 20-CHF 61 per person
6. Harder Kulm: The most prominent hill of Interlaken, Harder Kulm is truly a gift of nature. This hilly abode is home to a restaurant which is nestled at an altitude of 1322 meters above the sea.
It also serves as the starting point of several hiking tours. The panoramic view of Monch, Jungfrau, and Eiger from this spot is truly unmissable. This place is best visited in the evening when it turns into a folklore venue.
Location: Harder Kulm, Interlaken, Switzerland
Explore & Checkout: Germany Tour Packages
7. Hohematte Park: Tucked in the central region of Interlaken, Hohematte Park is a beautiful park sprawled over an area of 14 hectares. The park provides splendid views of Jungfrau, which include luxury hotels and flower-beds.
If you happen to visit here in the winter months, don’t miss out on ice-skating.
Location: 3800 Interlaken, Switzerland
Entry fee: no entry charges
8. Ice Magic: From mid-December to February end, Ice Magic sees a massive influx of travellers. The place has about five rinks which are intersected by 450 meters of ice ramps. If you plan to visit here at the night time, just hire a lane at Bavarian Curling rink.
Once you are done with adventure sports, spend fun-filled time with your family/friends or sip on a cup of mulled wine.
Location: Hohe-Promenade, Interlaken
If you are planning a trip to Istanbul, then Click Here to Book: Istanbul Holiday Trip Packages
9. Touristik Museum: If you want to delve into the tourist history of the region, there could not be a better place to begin than Touristik museum. A 17th-century wooden house, this museum houses various models of old-styled bicycles, early postal coaches, carriages and vehicles.
The three-floored building provides a vivid view of the traditions and -sightseeing spots of Interlaken.
Location: Obere Gasse, Interlaken
Entry fee: INR 350-INR 400
10. Unterseen: It is a beautiful hamlet in Interlaken where you can soak in nature’s glory for as much time as you want. The hamlet has an old Parish Church which flaunts a Gothic tower. The entire village boasts lush green gardens where you can see the farm animals grazing on the pasture land.
You can also please your taste buds with some traditional Swiss delicacies at one of its restaurants.
Location: Oberhasli, Interlaken
Also Explore & Book: Italy Honeymoon Tour Packages
What are the most romantic things to do in Interlaken for couples?
1. Have a delicious dinner at La Terrasse: If you are wondering about the most romantic things to do in Interlaken, try having an evening dinner with your partner at La Terrasse. The restaurant flaunts a sub-tropical ambience which includes large windows and classy interiors.
The Mediterranean menu of this place will certainly leave you craving for more. La Terrasse also has an exclusive wine list that covers wine from Europe and France.
2. Plan a picnic by the lakeside: Interlaken town is blessed with many turquoise blue lakes where you can relish the picturesque views and catch the cold breeze. One such lake is Lake Thun, which is known for its ardent beauty.
Thun Lake is surrounded by a pre-historic town which features a majestic castle and attractive pedestrian zones. This is a perfect spot to spend some quality time with your partner.
3. Soak in the beauty of Botanical Alpine Gardens: Nestled at an altitude of 1967 meters, Alpine Gardens is truly a sight to behold. The garden is surrounded by 700 species of flowers which will light up your mood in no time.
Alpine Garden witnesses a huge influx of couples throughout the year. The serene vibe and surreal beauty of this place make it the most sought-after romantic destination in Interlaken.
4. Relish the spectacular views from the highest train station: Your Interlaken trip is incomplete without paying a visit to Jungfraujoch Station. Being the highest railway station in Europe, Jungfraujoch is an ideal place to get the birds-eye view of Interlaken.
The site also features an Ice Palace and Sphinx Observatory, which add to its tourist significance. If you want to add a pinch of adventure to your Interlaken trip, you can also opt for a couple-hike across the glacier.
Planning for a trip to Italy? Checkout & Book: Italy Tours
What are the best adventure activities to do in Interlaken?
1. Paragliding: If you are searching for the most exhilarating things to do in Interlaken, you can’t miss out on paragliding. The experience of paragliding over the beautiful Swiss Alps is something that can’t be put into words.
While trying this adventure sports, you will be amazed by the magnificent view of lakes and hills from the top. Paragliding in Interlaken is ideal for experienced people, as well as beginners.
2. Kayaking: You can’t leave the Interlaken town without having a kayaking trip. If you love to spend some time amidst nature, this is one of the best adventure things to do in Interlaken. The panoramic view of lakes, mountains, and waterfalls will leave you more refreshed than ever.
The best spot in Interlaken to try kayaking is Lake Thun, where you can also relish the sunset view.
3. Hiking: Situated in the centre of Swiss Alps, Interlaken is the best spot to set your adrenaline racing. One of the most favoured activities to do in Interlaken is hiking. If you are an adventure buff, you will love to walk your way to the iconic Harder Kulm, which is just a few kilometres away from Interlaken.
The town also witnesses a hiking marathon in the September month, where participants from about 35 nations participate in the event.
4. Skiing: If you are looking for some exhilarating activities to do in Interlaken in winter months, don’t miss out on skiing. Mt. Jungfraujoch and Beatenberg are the ideal skiing spots in the town.
The town has several ski lifts and cableways that will take you to more than two hundred kilometres of snow trails. If skiing has always been on your bucket list, Interlaken is your go-to spot.
Must Checkout & Book: Paris Trip Packages
What are the things to do in Interlaken at night?
1. Casino Kursaal: Interlaken city has an infectious vibe, and if you want to experience it, don’t miss out on its nightlife. Being home to several pubs and casinos, the town buzz with excitement after 10 PM.
The best place to enjoy the nightlife of Interlaken is Casino Kursaal, where everyone hopes to get lucky. The enticing garden and classy interiors of the place add to its charm. With its slot machines and American roulette, you will remain entertained for the whole night.
2. High Life : Beautifully located near Interlaken West Train station, High Life club is all about fun and entertainment. The club is mainly recognized for its tasty wines, soulful music, and beautiful interiors. If you are a party buff, High Life is a perfect pick for you.
3. Brasserie 17: If you don’t want to go too heavy on your pocket, Brazzerie 17 is an ideal place to enjoy a fun-filled night. Mainly known for its delectable food and tasty wines, this place will fascinate you with its local feel.
The bar has around 20 special beers to choose from along with its affordable meal plans. The bar also hosts several concerts and events on a frequent basis.
Click Here to Book: Turkey Packages
What are the things to do in Interlaken with family?
1. A visit to Unspunnen Castle: A forgotten beauty from the past, Unspunnen Castle was built in the 18th century. The castle had a significant role in the local conflicts of the region. Currently, it acts as a venue for several Swiss traditional sporting events.
If your family is a history lover, a visit to this place is the one of the best activities to do in Interlaken.
2. Plan a picnic at Bachalpsee: One of the most common things to do in Interlaken on a weekend is visiting Bachalpsee. Popular as the hiker's paradise, Bachalpsee is a place synonymous with elegance and beauty.
With its ardent hills, mirror lake, and sloping meadows, it has emerged as the most sought after vacation spot among nature lovers.
3. A kids day out at Heimwehfluh Bahn: Just when you feel that your Interlaken itinerary is complete, Heimwehfluh bahn comes to the picture with a lot of surprises. A funicular situated atop the hill, Heimwehfluh bahn has become the tourist’s favourite due to its natural splendour and peaceful setting.
The place features a restaurant terrace where you can satiate your appetite and relish the alluring views from the top. The funicular is also an ideal place for your kids as it encompasses a large playground and wildlife park.
4. Refresh yourself at Aare: Aargletschers is a bunch of majestic mountains that form a glacier and lead up to the river Aare. If you have never seen the amazing sight of mountains forming the glaciers, this place is something that you can’t miss. You can also hike your way towards the hills and enjoy the awe-inspiring views from the top.
For ardent nature lovers, a visit to Aare is one of the best things to do in Interlaken.
5. Spend quality time with family at Alpine Garden: Though this garden is mainly known for its luscious flora, another thing that adds to its glory is its Cogwheel train ride. The garden is also home to Teddyland where you can find a huge variety of teddy bears.
If your kids are accompanying you, a visit to the Alpine gardens is all that you need to bring a huge smile on their faces. Don’t forget to carry your camera to capture these amazing moments forever.
Planning a honeymoon trip to Paris? Click Here to Book: Paris Honeymoon Trip Packages
What can you do in Interlaken for free?
1. Hiking: Not every precious thing is expensive. These words fall true for the budget-travellers in Interlaken. If you don’t know about any affordable adventure things to do in Interlaken, settling for a hike in Harder Kulm won’t disappoint you. The magnificent view from this spot and its surreal surroundings will set you free from worries and anxieties.
2. Nature Walks
For all the budget travellers who can’t spend heavily, a visit to Neuhaus Nature Century is one of the best things to do in Interlaken. This place is mainly known for its scenic vistas and quaint surroundings. A maiden visit to Neuhaus Century will make you fall for this place. If you want to make the most of this visit, just rent a Pedalo and spend an uninterrupted time amidst nature.
3. Free Walking Tour
One of the best things to do in Interlaken for free is joining its free walking tour. Every Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday, the local guide will take the guests from Balmers hostel for a free city tour. During this tour, he will tell you about the rich history of the town, as well as those small anecdotes which are known only to the natives.
Planning a honeymoon trip to Turkey, Checkout & Book: Turkey Honeymoon Tour Packages
Which are the best water sports to do in Interlaken?
1. River Rafting: To enjoy the best river rafting experiences in Interlaken, one should head straight away to Lutschine. Here, you will not only get to face the class third and fourth rapids but will also get an opportunity to cherish the bewitching view of Interlaken Valley. You can also avail the digital photography services to record your river rafting journey.
2. Canyoning: The fun of exploring hidden gorges and sliding down the waterfalls is something that can’t be put into words. If you want to know the best activities to do in Interlaken, plan a Grimsel trip and kick start your journey with a 50-meter rappel. The unique coloured rock formations at this spot add to the thrill of the journey.
3. Banana Ride: Lake Thun is a popular spot among adventure junkies as it hosts several adrenaline sports. One such exhilarating ride is Banana boat ride. This new boat journey has proved to be an ultimate favourite sport among the adventure seekers. All you need to do is to get behind the tube boats and take an adrenaline-rushing ride across the lake.
Also Explore & Checkout: Greece Trip Packages
Which are the famous lakes in Interlaken?
1. Lake Brienz: Popularly known as Turquoise Gem, Lake Brienz stands apart from other lakes in Interlaken due to its unique colour. This bright and intense coloured lake gets its colour from the glacial waters of Aare. With a depth of 260 meters, it is regarded as one of the deepest lakes in Switzerland. The early morning walks around Brienz Lake is one of the most relaxing things to do in Interlaken.
2. Lake Thun: Though Lake Thun is known for its unreal beauty, it has emerged as the most sought-after adventure spot in Interlaken. This lake witnesses a huge crowd of adventure junkies who wish to push up their limits and try something more exhilarating. The shores of Thun lake is dotted with vineyards and castles. It also hosts several music festivals throughout the year.
Planning a trip to Spain? Checkout & Book: Spain Holiday Packages
How can I reach Interlaken?
- By Air: The nearest airport to Interlaken is Bern Airport, which is 45 minutes away from the road and 1.5 hours from the train. One can also opt for a flight to the Zurich Airport and then board on a train to Interlaken.
- By Train: Interlaken has two stations, namely, Interlaken OST and West Station. The West station is nearest to the town and is well-connected to almost all parts of Switzerland. If you want to enjoy the scenic view on your journey towards Interlaken, a train ride is the best option.
- By Bus: You can avail direct bus services from Paris, Rome, Munich, and Florence to Interlaken. Some of these buses also offer sightseeing services to travellers.
Also Checkout & Book: Greece Honeymoon Tour Packages
What is the best time to visit?
June to August is the most preferred time for an Interlaken trip. It is this time when the temperature remains moderate, ranging from 18 degrees to 20 degrees. If trekking, nature walks, and mountaineering have always been on your to-do list, plan your Interlaken trip during the summer months.
Planning a trip to Spain? Checkout & Book: Spain Tours Packages
What is Interlaken famous for?
Interlaken town offers a unique combination of adventure and peace to the visitors. Though it is extensively known for its natural destinations such as Harder Kulm, Hohematte Park, and Schynige Platte, it is also a major hub for adventure sports like Kayaking, Banana rides, and hiking. The town also has some historical museums, such as the Touristik Museum, where you can delve into the rich history of Interlaken.
Explore & Checkout: Spain Honeymoon Tours
Is it safe to visit Interlaken?
If you keep some basic precautions in mind, Interlaken is quite a safe destination in Switzerland. Interlaken doesn’t have a high crime rate but one must be cautious of their surroundings and should refrain from visiting deserted areas.
Must Explore & Book: Amsterdam Tour Packages
How expensive is Interlaken?
The average cost of vacationing in Interlaken comes around 174 dollars per day. While the meals will cost approximately 48 dollars for a day, you might have to spend 200 dollars on transportation.
Planning for a honeymoon trip to Amsterdam? Click Here to Book: Amsterdam Honeymoon Trip Packages