Things to do in GokarnaTrekking and camping on Gokarna Beach, sightseeing, cave exploration, surfing, bumper boat riding, banana boat riding, scuba diving, jet skiing, fishing, dolphin spotting and many more.
Located on the outskirts of the state of Karnataka, Gokarna is a small town engulfed with the vast ocean around it. It is a town that is acknowledged for its beautiful landscapes, adventure activities and some water sports to enjoy. It is quite frankly unlikely for you to hold yourself back from discovering the adventures in the town.
Some of the best things to do in Gokarna include camping amidst the mystical nature, shopping in the colorful flea markets, spotting Dolphins while chilling at the beach and enjoying a scrupulous meal. Yes, not just for its beauty and the spread of activities but the town is also known for an extraordinary stretch of delicious delicacies, both local and foreign. Furthermore, activities like trekking around the beach, board riding and surfing are an attraction for thrill-seekers.
Gokarna is also home to a vast variety of temples, some of them dating back to the 14th century. These temples are not just places to pray and unwind but also recite a strong sense of historical background the town carries. Additionally, if you are a person who loves to enjoy and explore nature, Gokarna is connected with endless roads with picturesque scenics of various flora and fauna that the travelers can celebrate driving through.
In other words, from a kid who loves to play in the ocean to an experienced surfer, from a person who loves the wild to a historian, there is something for everyone at Gokarna. A weekend getaway or a prolonged stay, the town is perfect for a vacation with family and friends. To enjoy all the things Gokarna offers wholesomely, travelers must spend at least 2-3 days here.
Things to Do in Gokarna
People Also Ask About Gokarna Things To Do
What are the best water sports to try in Gokarna?
These are the best water sports in Gokarna that one must try:
1. Banana Boat Ride: Banana boat rides are one of the most exciting water sport activities in Gokarna. The ride takes you up and down the waves with full force as you sit holding on to the boat- the perfect way to get an adrenaline rush!
2. Jet Ski: If you’re a speed-freak, then this is one of the best things to do in Gokarna, for you. The jet ski takes you up and down the dancing waves and as you speed up, the ski takes you high up and drops you with a splash!
3. Bumper Ride: Going for a bumper ride in the open blue ocean is one of the best things to do in Gokarna. All you need to do is sit in the rubber tube and hold on to your ride as the boat drags you splashing up and down the waves, giving you the thrill of your life.
4. Speed Boating: One of the simplest yet the most exciting water sports, speed boating is a very popular water sport in Gokarna. You can go speed boating with an instructor or choose to go all by yourself for a thrilling ride on the waves of the blue ocean in Gokarna.
5. Parasailing: Parasailing is a unique way of enjoying the views of the open blue sea of Gokarna and one of the most fun things to do in Gokarna. This water sport takes you paragliding in the air above the ocean, being dragged by a speed boat in front. Gokarna has some of the best paragliding operators at several beaches all across the town.
Planning a trip to Gokarna? Checkout & Book: Gokarna Tour Packages
What are the best things to do in Gokarna with your family?
1. Chill at the Beach: Spending an entire day at the beach with your family is one of the best things to do in Gokarna. Spend the day playing volleyball with the kids or just lying down and getting a tan with your family under the sun.
2. Go Food-Hogging: Gokarna has some of the best continental and South Indian food to serve. The lip-smacking and cheap food at beach shacks is worth trying out with your family. Try the shacks at Om Beach or Kudle Beach for some of the best continental breakfasts and snacks.
3. Try Water Sports: If your whole family loves the thrill of water sports, then trying water sports in Gokarna is one of the most fun things to do in Gokarna. With a wide range of water sports like jet ski, speed boating, parasailing, etc, your family is going to have the time of their lives in Gokarna.
4. Visit Mirjan Fort: Mirjan Fort is a hidden gem of the city and visiting this fort is one of the best things to do in Gokarna. With its magnificent views, architecture, and gardens, this fort is surely a treat to the eyes and a great way for a family to learn some historical facts about this town.
5. Visit Yana: Yana is a tiny place near Gokarna popular for its serene landscapes. Most of the trekking experiences in Gokarna include this destination. If your family loves wildlife, trekking at this place is the perfect way to spend a day in Gokarna.
What are the best things to do in Gokarna for couples?
1. Enjoy a Candlelight Dinner at the Beach: Gokarna has several restaurants that serve some of the most delicious seafood from across the world. Take your partner to a restaurant or shack at the beach for a romantic candlelight dinner with the far-off sound of the splashing waves for a perfect romantic evening.
2. Enjoy a Picturesque Sunset at the Beach: Watching a sunset at the beach is one of the best things to do in Gokarna with your partner. Take a stroll down any of the beaches of Gokarna in the evening with your partner and marvel at the stunning golden sunset over the horizon.
3. Try Water Sports: If you and your partner are adrenaline junkies, then Gokarna has a lot to offer you! From jet skiing, parasailing to scuba diving and banana boat rides- Gokarna has a huge variety of water sports for you to enjoy with your partner.
4. Go Camping at the Beach: Camping at night near the beach is one of the most romantic and exciting activities you can do with your loved one in Gokarna. The calming sounds of the ocean waves and twinkling stars at night are just the right recipe for a romantic night spent together with your partner. The best part- if you’re bored sitting in the camps, you can take a stroll at the beach whenever you want, or even better- start a campfire!
5. Get a Relaxing Massage: Healing and relaxing ayurvedic massages are quite popular in this tropical town and going for the same together with your partner is one of the most romantic things to do in Gokarna. There are several popular massage centers for couples where you can go and treat yourself and your partner to a healing massage.
Must Checkout: Beaches In Gokarna
What are the most amazing things to do in Gokarna at night?
1. Beach Camping: Camping at the beach at night is one of the best things you can do to experience the coastal life of Gokarna. The soothing sound of the waves will relax you. You can also start a campfire at the beach and experience the gentle ocean breeze at night sitting beside it. The clear night sky of Gokarna also gives great views of the stars at night that you can lie down and glare at all night long.
2. Beach strolling: Strolling at beaches is one of the best things to do in coastal towns like Gokarna at night. The pleasant ocean breeze and the soft waves touching your feet as you walk on the sand is an experience you will cherish forever. Some beaches at Gokarna are also known to have bioluminescent waves at night at times. Who knows, if you get lucky, you might even catch a glimpse of that!
3. Dinner at a Shack: Gokarna has some of the best shacks and restaurants at beaches that serve amazing seafood. If you want to experience the lively nightlife of Gokarna, do have dinner at one of the beach shacks or cafes and enjoy the upbeat music, pleasant weather, and good vibes of this beautiful coastal town!
Must Checkout: Nightlife In Gokarna
What are the best adventure activities to do in Gokarna?
1. Parasailing: Gokarna has many water sports and activities to offer. One of the best of these is parasailing. If you want to enjoy the stunning panoramic views of the blue oceans, parasailing is surely the best water sports option for you in Gokarna.
2. Boat Rides: Be it speed boating or banana boat rides- Gokarna has it all. Boating in the beautiful ocean around Gokarna and swirling up and down with the waves is surely going to give you the adrenaline rush you had been longing for!
3. Trekking: Trekking at the beaches is one of the best ways to explore the coastal town of Gokarna. The picturesque views of the ocean and the golden sand of the beaches make the treks an experience you will never forget about.
4. Scuba Diving: Scuba diving is one of the most popular water sports in Gokarna. Take a dive in the deep blue sea around Gokarna and explore the aquatic flora and fauna as you swim around.
5. Camping: Camping at the beaches of Gokarna is one of the best things you can do in this coastal town. The soft sand of the beach and the splashing waves paired with the gentle ocean breeze and the twinkling night sky- that’s an experience you will never be able to get over with!
Which are the best trekking trails In Gokarna?
1. Paradise Beach to Half Moon Beach: The serene views and the quiet surroundings of Paradise and Half Moon Beach make this trek one of the most peaceful treks. The trek is comparatively easier than the other ones in Gokarna and is best done during the morning or before sunset.
2. Kudle Beach to Om Beach: Kudle Beach and Om Beach have a tiny hill in the middle which you can trek on for some of the most stunning panoramic views of the ocean. Try and finish this trek during the sunset to catch a glimpse of the beautiful sunset from the top of the hill.
3. Half Moon Beach to Om Beach: The trek between the Half Moon beach and Om beach is great for devouring the beautiful views of the coastal town of Gokarna. Stop at one of the shacks to taste the seafood delicacies around Om beach to take a refreshing break from the trek.
4. Paradise Beach to Belekan Beach: The trek from Paradise beach to Belekan beach is one of the most beautiful and relaxing ones. The quiet beaches and secluded areas during the trek will surely calm you down.
What are the best sites for camping in Gokarna?
1. Belekan Beach: Belekan beach is a secluded area for campers to set up their tents and this makes it one of the best places to camp too. Away from the hustle and bustle of tourists, this quiet and peaceful campsite is loved by many campers. The nearby village of Belekan also makes this site very convenient and safe to camp at.
2. Paradise Beach: Paradise beach has several campsites along its shore. The beach is comparatively quiet and secluded from the busy areas of the town and is thus preferred by many campers. Camp here and rush to the beach at any time of the night!
3. Half Moon Beach: The Half Moon beach is very popular in Gokarna for its beautiful campsites. At night, you will find several campers sitting outside their tents around a campfire. The soothing sound of the waves and the cold moonlight is the best part of camping at the Half Moon beach.
4. Kudle Beach: Although a bit more crowded than the others, Kudle beach still has several campsites along the shore. The beach is known for its upbeat vibes and shacks and restaurants that serve the best delicacies in town. If you like waking up to a happening surrounding, Kudle beach is the place to camp at for you.
What is the best time to visit Gokarna?
The best time to visit Gokarna is between October and March. During this time the weather is dry with little to no showers. In other words, around this time the weather in Gokarna is pleasant and allowing tourists to enjoy various outdoor activities.
What is special about Gokarna?
From the variety of beaches to historical temples, water sports and more, there is a lot that is special about the beach town of Gokarna.
How far is Goa from Gokarna?
Goa is approximately 144 km from Gokarna and takes up to 4 hours by road. Additionally, the road is one of the best means to reach Goa from Gokarna.
Is Gokarna safe?
Yes, Gokarna is absolutely safe. Apart from the rainy season when there is extreme rainfall and the beaches can get risky, other seasons are absolutely safe to visit. There are also guards present on beaches at all times.
Which are the best shacks in Gokarna?
Beach Shacks in Gokarna are the best way to make your stay a memorable one without burning a hole in the pocket. These shacks offer views and experiences that are difficult to find anywhere else. Shack Stays in Gokarna include1. Namaste Cafe Shack, Chilled Out Shack, and Sangam Shack on the Om Beach,
2. Kudle Ocean Front Shack on the Kudle Beach.
How do I travel within Gokarna?
There are several options for travelling within the Gokarna town. From local bus service that runs through various sports in the town to taxi service that can take you anywhere around Gokarna. You can choose any means of transport that suits you best.
Which are the must visit pilgrimage sites in Gokarna?
The city of Gokarna holds a high importance in the Hindu Mythology, especially to the devotees of Lord Shiva. Literally meaning “Cow’s ear”, one of the best things to do in Gokarna is to seek blessings from the almighty himself in the many temples in Gokarna.
2. Mahabaleshwar Temple
3. Maha Ganapathi Temple
4. Bhadrakali Temple
5. Varadaraja Temple
6. Venkataramana temple
What Should Someone Do for 3 Days in Gokarna?
Gokarna is a beautiful destination for the lovers of beaches, beautiful sights, adventure and water sports.
1. First day to hit all the famous beaches of Gokarna, especially Om Beach, Main Beach and Kudle beach
Gokarna Beach Resort for the night.
2. Second day for famous sights of Gokarna, like Murudeshwar, the Mahabaleshwar temple and Mirjan Fort
Night at homestay in Gokarna.
3. Third day to the local markets of Gokarna to collect souvenirs or the Half Moon Beach to collect free sea shells.