1. Witness the aerial View of Gangtok: Imagine enjoying the stunning views of Gangtok with your special one from atop the world! The cable car ride in Gangtok provides one with this chance to view the state capital at one glance. The zig-zag ride of a kilometer starts from Deorali and goes up to Tashilling with a total of three stops. Visitors are allowed to disembark on any of the three stops, however, a two-way journey is highly recommended. On a clear weather day, visitors get to not only enjoy the views of the entire Gangtok city but may also get to marvel at the view of Khangchendzonga. Most Gangtok Honeymoon Tour Packages include this activity on their to-do list
Location: Deorali, Gangtok
Timings: 9:30 AM to 4:30 PM on all days
2. Hold your Partner and Fly up in the Air!: The experience of enjoying the aerial views of Gangtok does not have to be restricted to the cable car ride. If you and your partner are adventure junkies, take off in the air yourselves! Paragliding in Gangtok has gained immense popularity in the recent times; courtesy the breathtaking landscapes of the Himalayas. The sport is a must-experience activity for honeymooners who prefer unconventional Honeymoon Packages of Gangtok and who along with a tint of adventure would like to indulge in seeing the best of landscapes from the top!
Location: The starting point for a medium fly which is at 1400 m altitude and is a ride of 5 to 10 minutes is Baliman Dara. Whereas, for a high fly that is set at 2200 m altitude and goes on for 20 to 30 minutes is Reshithang village.
Timings: Ranges between INR 2000 to 5000
3. Exploring Nature’s Beauty at Khangchendzonga National Park: Considered as one of the best National Parks in the whole of India, Khangchendzonga National Park is a huge park spread across 849 square kilometers. It is a UNESCO world heritage site and an absolute paradise for nature lovers. The park is home to numerous wild animals such as snow leopards, Himalayan tahr, and red panda. Moreover, the park also houses a diverse variety of unique plains, valleys, glaciers, lakes and of course, the world’s largest highest peak of Khangchendzonga mountain itself. Thus, it is the ultimate go-to for nature lovers who can explore the flora and fauna, trekkers interested in climbing the world’s third highest peak, as well as camping enthusiasts.
Location: Khangchendzonga National Park, Sikkim. No Gangtok honeymoon packages can be complete without including Khangchendzonga National Park on its list.
Timings: 10 AM to 6:30 PM on all days
4. Enjoying the Sunset at Tiger Hill: At a height of 2590 meters, Tiger hill is an abode of clouds. A walk here amidst the foggy weather makes for a very romantic and cozy atmosphere where couples can spend some quality time. Most Gangtok honeymoon packages include this place on its list of must-visit places as it has only been appreciated by all those who have visited.
Location: 110 kilometres from Gangtok, near Darjeeling
5. Ride the Yak at Tsomgo Lake: Considered as one of the most unique things to do in Gangtok, ever thought you could ride a Yak with your partner? The furry animal that seems absolutely comfortable to ride on is also friendly and can manage the weight of humans. Thus, the experience is safe and fun! This activity can also be enjoyed at Dzongri area.
Location: Tsongmo lake, East Sikkim
Timings: Open all day, advisable to visit during the daylight
6. Visiting Indo-China Border at Nathu La Pass: Couples open to experiencing the interiors of India and not restricting Gangtok honeymoon packages to only commercial places that can get to NathuLa Pass. A mountain pass that connects India to Tibet, now acquired by China, Nathu La Pass is a must-visit for couples interested in seeking a little adventure. A visit here can be clubbed with a visit to Tsomgo Lake, which is a worthy pit stop before NathuLa. The route through the mountains here make sure to leave visitors spellbound with their mesmerizing beauty until they get to the top at 4310 meters.
Location: 52 kilometers from Gangtok city
Timings: 7 AM to 1:30 PM on Wednesday to Sunday
7. Marvel at the View of Yumthang Valley: Located in the North of Sikkim, Yumthang Valley has invited not just Indians but also international tourists to witness its unbelievable beauty. Famously called as the valley of flowers, Yumthang valley presents the best of the natural wonders - lakes, hot springs, green pastures, Himalayan peaks, and ranges. Yumthang is situated at a height of 11800 feet and is undoubtedly exotic is its views. This place is a popular pick amongst honeymooners and thus, most Gangtok Honeymoon Packages have it included
Location: 148 kilometers from Gangtok, North Sikkim
Timings: Open from late February to Mid June
8. Chase the Sun at Tashi: Thanks to the breathtaking views of the floating clouds against snow-capped mountains, a visit to Tashi is included in most Gangtok Honeymoon Packages. However, a visit to the Tashi viewpoint during the sunrise or sunset can make the experience all the more special for couples to witness. When the mountains illuminate the golden rays of the sun from between them, magic is ought to be felt!
Location: Tashi View Point, Gangtok
Timings: Sunrise - 4:30 to 5 AM, Sunset - 5 to 6 PM
9. Shop till you Drop at MG Marg, Lal Bazaar: Honeymoon Packages of Gangtok would be incomplete without shopping time! From local vendors and stalls to boutique shops selling designer products, Gangtok has tons of items for visitors. Indulge in buying some woollen clothes for your partner to keep up with the snowy weather of Sikkim or get souvenirs for friends and family back home. Moreover, do not miss out on visiting the weekly market called Lal Bazaar that is put up every Sunday. This market attracts tourists for a flea shopping experience as local artisans from different villages of Sikkim put up a variety of products on sale.
Location: Lal bazaar, near MG Marg, Gangtok
Timings: 6 PM onwards
10. Take a Dip in the Hot Spring Waters at Reshi: The state of Sikkim is home to many hot water springs. However, Reshi hot spring is one of the most popular ones in this long list. Its convenient location and religious significance makes it a famous tourist destination in Sikkim. For honeymooners, soaking in the warm waters of this hot spring along with the scenic views of the location can be quite an interesting experience. Moreover, a dip in the water here is believed to heal all of the skin diseases and allergies too.
Location: 25 kilometers from Gangtok, 6 kilometers from Legship near Reshi
1. Rumtek Monastery: Considered as one of the most famous monasteries in Buddhism, couples can visit there to find some peace. Here, in this ancient building, traditional rituals and prayers are performed by monks all the day long. Moreover, when in Sikkim, it is advised to not miss visiting a monastery as this is where the rich culture and history of the region can be unfolded. Thus, including a visit to the monasteries in Gangtok Honeymoon Packages is highly recommended, and Rumtek Monastery proves to be an ideal choice
Location: 24 kilometers from Gangtok
2. Ganesh Tok: Perched on a hilltop at a height of 6500 meters, Ganesh Tok is a temple that can be reached in no time from Gangtok. The temple is a small one; in fact, it can only accommodate one person at a time. To get inside the temple, one needs to crawl and bend for a small distance. It is one of the most popular tourist destinations in Gangtok and can be visited by honeymooners willing to spend some time praying too. The temple also provides stunning views of the whole of Gangtok and mostly stays hidden amidst fog during the monsoons making it romantic weather.
Location: 7 kilometers from Gangtok
3. Namgyal Institute of Tibetology: Gangtok Honeymoon Packages must certainly include this traditionally styled Tibetan mansion. The museum can be instrumental in helping couples learn about Vajrayana Buddhism, Tibetan culture and its influence on the whole of Sikkim. It provides a good start to the trip, especially for enthusiasts who would like to learn more about Sikkim, its people, and lifestyle. The museum houses Buddhist manuscripts, thangkas, icons, ritual objects, jewelry, and much more.
Location: 7 kilometers from Gangtok, Deorali
4. Tsongmo Lake: Hidden amidst snow-clad mountains and unique topography of East Sikkim, lake Tsongmo is a vast stretching emerald glacier lake that attracts tourists; especially couples throughout the year. To keep tourists entertained, there are several vendors who offer visitors the opportunity to wear local ethnic wear and click pictures as memories. Couples can ask for a special couple matching clothes and enjoy posing against the picturesque lake. Moreover, during monsoons and winters, tourists can also enjoy riding on the back of furry yaks here.
Location: Tsongmo lake, East Sikkim
Timings: Open all day, advisable to visit during the daylight
5. Seven Sisters Waterfall: Waterfalls are known to set the romantic mood for couples just right. Gangtok has not one or two but seven of the stunning waterfalls that stand tall in all their glory to captivate the minds of visitors! These seven waterfalls are of different sizes and flow next to each other. The views of them rushing down the mountains; especially during the monsoons is something that nobody would want to miss.
Location: National Highway, 32 kilometers from Gangtok city
Timings: 7 AM to 6 PM
6. Baker’s Cafe: A western styled cafe, Baker’s cafe is one of the must-visit places in Gangtok. For honeymooners looking to spend a relaxing day strolling around the markets and eating good food, this cafe is a great go-to option. It serves fresh bakery items that go perfectly well with conversations and has a set of brown tones that further compliments the experience. Try to get the window seat, as the views of the neighboring hills from the cafe are sure to make the meal with your partner all the more romantic!
Location: MR Marg, Arithang, Gangtok
Timings: 9 AM to 8 PM on all days
Price: Approximately 500 INR for two
7. Himalayan Zoological Park: Gangtok Honeymoon Tour Packages must certainly include this park on the list of must-see places in Gangtok for couples who admire nature and wildlife. This one of its kind zoological park is home to varied species of flora and fauna. Some of the animals living here are snow leopards, Himalayan black bears, goral, Himalayan palm civet and many more. This park also provides stunning views of Khangchendzonga which is the world’s third-highest peak.
Location: 3 kilometers from Gangtok
Timings: 9 AM to 4 PM on all days
Price: INR 25 for Indian tourists and INR 50 for International tourists
8. Kabi Longstok: Home to an exquisite, ancient monastery, Kabi Longstok is a place of great historical importance. It can be added to the must-visit places of Gangtok Honeymoon Tour Packages for couples who are interested in exploring the history of the region. The place has rich stories associated with it and equally mesmerizing views of the surrounding mountains that make a visit here worth the time.
Location: 17 kilometers from Gangtok, Kabi Town
9. Do Drul Chorten: Another place for honeymooners to go to for peace and tranquillity, Do Drul Chorten is one of the most important stupas not just in Gangtok but in the whole of Sikkim. It was built in the year 1885 and has 108 prayer wheels. Couples can visit this place to seek blessings by rotating these prayer wheels that have important mantras engraved on them. The place has attracted tourists from everywhere and continues to attract them for its beauty and calming atmosphere.
Location: M.P.Golai, Tadong, Gangtok
Timings: 8 AM to 6 Pm on all days}
10. Hanuman Tok: A very famous temple in Gangtok dedicated to Lord Hanuman, Hanuman Tok meets thousands of visitors every year. The temple is maintained by the Indian army and offers stunning 360-degree views of the nearby hills and topography of Gangtok. It is a great pick for nature lovers willing to offer prayers to Lord Hanuman at a height of 7200 feet.
Location: 11 kilometers from Gangtok
Timings: 5 AM to 7 PM on all days
Gangtok is well connected to all parts of India and abroad. The city can be reached using different modes of transport.
By Air - Bagdogra Airport is the closest airport located at a distance of 125 kilometres from Gangtok. It is well connected to all the major cities of India with regular flights. From the airport, visitors can choose to hire a cab for the road journey of two hours or can even opt for buses that ply regularly between Bagdogra airport and Gangtok
By Train - New Jalpaiguri railway station in West Bengal is the closest railway station located at a distance of 148 kilometres from Gangtok. There are regular trains that connect this station to different parts of India. Thereafter, from the station, visitors can choose to hire a cab for the road journey of two and a half hours or can opt for buses that ply regularly between the two destinations.
By Road/Bus - Gangtok can be reached by roads from neighbouring cities and towns like Siliguri, Darjeeling, and Kolkata. Most of these roads are well maintained and worth the drive. Bus frequency from nearby cities is decent and takes anywhere between 7 to 16 hours.
Yes, Gangtok is a good destination for honeymoon couples. It is one of the most popular and attractive states. The stunning landscapes and cozy weather here makes it an ideal destination apt for a honeymoon.
Gangtok can be considered expensive for solo travellers. But for honeymoon couples or large groups of tourists, it is a reasonable travel destination as the costs get split in the group.
Gangtok, a city tucked amidst the Himalayas is known for its breathtaking views, snow-capped mountains, pristine rivers, mesmerising hues in the sky, and lush greenery. It offers a perfect balance of enjoying the facilities of a city life and the pleasures of seeking views of nature. Gangtok is popular as one of the most attractive tourist destinations in the whole of India which has something for all kinds of travellers - be it backpackers, leisure travellers, or luxury seekers! The city is sure to make every moment spent here worth cherishing a lifetime!
The best time to visit Gangtok is from October to mid-December when clear views of the Himalayan peaks can be witnessed without the disturbing weather conditions. Except for these months, March to May sees the blooming of Rhododendron flowers which also makes a visit worth it. On the contrary, the months of January and February receive heavy rainfall and can be avoided as the weather does not support outdoor activities and sightseeing.
A visit to Gangtok certainly needs a traveller to pack bags according to the regional requirements. Some of these essentials are-
1. Clothes - Depending on the season during your visit, you may want to carry layers of jackets and woollens, gloves, monkey caps, mufflers, sweaters, windcheaters.
2. Shoes - There is a lot of walking involved when in the mountains, thus carrying comfortable sports shoes is essential.
3. Trekking Gears - If you plan to trek a mountain or two, make sure to carry trekking gears to make the climb safe.
4. Sunglass and Sunscreen - Greater sun exposure at high altitudes make these two items mandatory to be packed.
5. Photography Gears - The mesmerizingly beautiful landscapes of Gangtok makes one want to stop and click pictures every minute. Thus, make sure to carry your best camera.
The ideal duration for a honeymoon in Gangtok is anywhere between a week to ten days. These number of days shall enable the honeymooners to spend an adequate amount of time sightseeing as well as resting.
Gangtok maintains a balance of city life and natural beauty. Here, couples interested in adventure activities can indulge in sports like paragliding, river rafting, trekking,camping and lots more. To get some rest time, they can take up spa and massage treatments available in the markets of the city area. And to spend time in nature, there are an endless number of mesmerising tourist spots that can be visited. Gangtok is backed by pleasant weather throughout the year that makes it ideal as a honeymoon destination. Moreover, it also has systematic transportation that makes the honeymoon trip hassle free and relaxed.
Here are some of the best adventurous activities you should include in your Gangtok honeymoon packages:
1. River Rafting in Teesta: The rushing river flows through the city offering adventure junkies a chance to ride their tube boast against the waves. The rapids offer an enthralling rafting experience along a stretch of 11 kilometers. The rafting starts from the quaint town of Makha located close to Gangtok and ends at Rangpo through Sirwani, this activity must be included in your Gangtok tour packages for couple
Location: Makha town, near Gangtok
Timings: 7 AM to 4 PM on all days
2. Paragliding: To experience the real beauty of the mighty Himalayas, one must really consider seeing it from up in the sky. This can be witnessed through indulging in the activity of paragliding with gives one the chance to get a bird’s eye view of Gangtok.
Paragliding takes place in the eastern part of the city in Luing Resithang, a town located close to Gangtok’s Khel Gaon area. The adventure activity as well as the destination has been gaining immense popularity amongst tourists in recent years and seems to be worth a visit.
Location: Luing Resithang, near Gangtok
Timings: 8 AM to 4 PM on all days
3. Gangtok Ropeway Ride: This zig zag ropeway ride of one kilometre is for anybody who does not want to indulge in the hardcore adventure sports activities and yet wants to witness the scenic views of the city. The ride begins from Deorali and takes visitors to Tashiling over a period of 7 minutes. On a clear sky day, the ride also offers views of Mount Khangchendzonga - the world’s third-largest peak, so make sure to include this in your Gangtok tour packages for couple.
Location: Deorali, Gangtok
Timings: 9 AM to 4:30 PM on all days
4. Mountaineering: The rugged mountains of Sikkim offer endless mountaineering expeditions. However, most of these trips require a certain amount of training and permission from the Indian Mountaineering Institute. The best time for mountaineering in Gangtok lasts from September until mid-December.
Location: Multiple locations, Gangtok
The costs of Gangtok Honeymoon tour packages range anywhere from INR 40000 to 80000 for a 4 to 5 days long trip. These packages can be customised as per the needs of the couple.
Here are some of the best you can include in your Gangtok honeymoon packages:
1. Spa and Resort - With the perfect blend of luxury and comfort, Mayfair is one of the best hotels for honeymooners.
2. Orange Village Resort - One of the most popular 5-star properties in Gangtok, this resort is known for delivering supreme luxury.
3. Summit Norling Resort and Spa - From breathtaking views to a cozy balcony in the room, a garden to an ideal dining setup, this resort has it all!
4. The Ergin Nor- Khill - This property is extremely elegant in its setting and has all the facilities and services required to make a honeymoon stay experience flawless, it is considered as one of the famous hotels and must be included in your Gangtok tour packages for couple
5. Summit Golden Crescent Resort and Spa - One of the best 4-star properties, this resort is equipped with aesthetically designed rooms, pretty looking lawns, luxury facilities, and impressive hospitality.
The important documents to carry on a honeymoon in Gangtok includes a government recognized identity proof with photo and address on it. Documents like -
- Aadhar card.
- Driving license
- Ration Card
- Pan Card (with an address proof)
It is essential for all Gangtok Honeymoon Packages to mention this point clearly to avoid trouble later during the trip.
1. International Flower Festival - This festival celebrates nature’s beauty in Sikkim. It puts on display the flowers that are native to Sikkim state. These include over 600 species of Orchid flowers, over 300 species of rhododendrons, over 200 species of ferns, trees and Himalayan fauna.
2. Losoong Festival - This festival marks the beginning of Sikkimese New Year and is one of the important festivals for locals. It is celebrated in the month of December and lasts for 4 days.
3. Bumchu Festival - During this festival, a vessel containing pure water is opened to check the water level; and this predicts the year ahead for Sikkim and its people. The festival invites tourists not only from the whole of India but also from other Buddhism influenced countries like Nepal and Bhutan.
All kinds of accommodation are available in Gangtok. There are hotels, backpacker hostels, resorts, boutique stays, budget stays, and every other kind of accommodation that matches the taste and requirements of all tourists.
For tourists, the best way to commute in and around Gangtok is by hiring a two-wheeler or a four-wheeled vehicle. There are many agents that rent out vehicles for the easy commuting of tourists.
Other than this option, tourists looking for an inexpensive trip can use public transportation, such as the bus. Bus services ply regularly between all major tourist spots.
Gangtok Honeymoon Packages are incomplete without honeymoon photography. And Gangtok is a city filled with stunning views of the nature that offer immense spots for a full-fledged photoshoot! Some of the most popular spots for honeymoon photography in Gangtok are -
- Rumtek Monastery
- Nathula Pass
- Tsomgo Lake
- Khangchendzonga Biosphere Reserve
- Do Drul Chorten Stupa
In the whole of Sikkim, Gangtok is the best place for shopping lovers. There are quite a few markets where shopping can look pretty fun! Some of these places are -
- MG Marg
- Directorate of Handicrafts and Handlooms
- Lal Bazaar
- Temi Tea of Sikkim
- Local book shops
Some of the must-buy things when in Sikkim are-
- Tibetan Carpets
- Semi-precious stones
- Silver jewellery
- High-quality Sikkim Tea
- Buddhist Figurines
- Wall Hangings
- Buddhist Prayer Flags
- Sikkimese cups
Gangtok does not have a very active nightlife. Here, the day in the life of a local resident starts early and ends early. It is pretty much the same for tourists as well. The shops and markets shut by around 8 PM. However, there are a couple of clubs that remain open until midnight. Some of these are -
- Cafe Live Loud for live music
- Pub 25, X'cape
- Lounge 31a
- Casino Deltin Denzong.
Gangtok Honeymoon Packages can even have dinner dates fixed for couples at any of these clubs and restaurants as a part of nightlife experience in Gangtok.
Gangtok has a number of restaurants that serve impeccable food for both vegetarians as well as non-vegetarians. Most of these serve the true taste of Sikkimese food and leave visitors licking their finger after indulging in all their delicacies! Some of the best restaurants to visit in Gangtok are mentioned below -
- Taste Of Tibet
- Roll House
- Mu Kimchi
- Parivar Restaurant
- Tangerine Lounge & Bar
- Masala Restaurant
- Osm Restaurant
Sikkimese food influences from the Tibetan style of cooking and includes dishes like thukpa, beef momos, chicken fingers, thenthuk, and a lot more. All of these delicacies can be enjoyed at the aforementioned restaurants and also at the local stalls on MG Marg.