1. Explore the International Antarctic Centre: One of the best things to do in Christchurch is to visit the International Antarctic Center, where the museum offers an intriguing insight into the almost aloof continent – Antarctica. It is an excellent way to experience the adventure of exploring Antarctica without any discomforts.
Some of the most popular attractions include the Hägglund vehicle rides and the indoor Antarctic storm room, which is actually a simulation technique that you can enjoy without any concern for safety. Furthermore, you can also admire the cute blue penguins.
Location: 38 Orchard Road, Harewood
Price: 59 NZD
Timings: 9 am to 5:30 pm every day
2. Experience the famous Gondola ride: A bird’s view of Christchurch will offer you some of the most enticing scenic visuals, such as the flattering valleys and the Canterbury Plains and you can also admire the unflinching beauty of the Banks Peninsula and the Southern Alps.
With a base station at the Heathcote Valley, the gondola makes a pit stop at the Summit station, where you can step out and enjoy the time tunnel, eat in the Red Rock Café and shop some souvenirs, while creating unforgettable memories.
Location: 10 Bridle Path Road, Heathcote Valley
Price: 30 NZD
Timings: 10am - 4pm every day
3. Relax at Hagley Park: Situated right beside the Christchurch Botanic Gardens, Hagley Park boasts of being one of the biggest green open spaces in the entirety of the city. It has a total area of 406.7 acres and has been a crucial part of the city for decades.
The park hosts different events and recreational facilities, and you can just come in to get a breath of fresh air which is one of the best things to do in Christchurch.
Location: 14 Riccarton Avenue, Christchurch Central Christchurch
4. Visit the shooting places of the Lord of the rings: Are you a hard-core fan of the Lord of the rings and want to know more about the location of the shootings? Well, Christchurch offers you the opportunity to visit the different places where the famous movie franchise was shot, such as Gardens of Isengard, Edoras, Shire, and Helms Deep.
Moreover, the panoramic view of nature around will leave you breathless and make this one of the top-rated things to do in Christchurch.
Location: Helms Deep, Shire, Gardens of Isengard, Edoras, etc.
5. Go to Quake city: Though the naming of the place has the city in it, it is essentially a well-designed museum depicting the disastrous effect of the natural disasters that struck the city on 22-02-2011. The museum is interactive and allows tourists to understand the foundation of present-day Christchurch, making it one of the most vital things to do in Christchurch.
Location: 299 Durham Street North, Corner Armagh Street, Christchurch
Price: 20 NZD
Timings: 10.00 am to 5.00 pm, every day
6. Marvel at the beauty of Akora: If you want a hint of the famous French streak, then you will find it abundantly at this township of Akora. Here, you will be mesmerized by the magnificent beauty of the colonial architecture, and you can also opt for the wildlife harbor cruises to get a glimpse of the coveted Hector's Dolphin and penguins.
Other than that, you must try the delectable dishes found here and make a quick visit to the indescribably beautiful mosaic garden.
Location: 1 hour and 20 minutes from Christchurch
7. Explore the New Regent Street: Established in the early part of the 1930s, the New Regent Street is actually a pedestrian mall that has the architectural flair of the Spanish Mission. With bright colored buildings, numerous restaurants, and excellent bars, it is the most hyped place in Christchurch and offers you several things to do at once.
Here, you can grab dinner at the Twenty Seven Steps, enjoy an exciting play at the Isaac Theatre, or simply stroll along and discover the hidden gems. With multiple options of entertainment at hand, no wonder exploring it is one of the best things to do in Christchurch.
Location: Christchurch Central City, Christchurch
8. Book a seat for the TraNZAlpine Train: If you want to encounter one of the most breathtaking train journeys from Christchurch to Greymouth while admiring the stunning visuals of the alpine terrain, then you must opt for the exciting TraNZAlpine Train ride.
The journey covers around 233 kilometers and takes just about 5 hours while traipsing the guests through the mesmerizing Canterbury Plains and the sight of the majestic Southern Alps. With different classes to choose from, you can have the experience of a lifetime, so make sure that you tick this in your top-most things to do in Christchurch.
Location: Christchurch Railway Station, Troup Drive, Addington Christchurch
Price: Starts from 189 NZD per individual
Timings: 08:15 am to 18:31 pm (train schedule)
9. Visit the Cardboard Cathedral: Initially designed as a replacement for the Christ Church Cathedral that was ruined due to an earthquake, the Cardboard Cathedral is now one of the most revered places in Christchurch.
The credit for the impeccable design goes to Shigeru Ban, and the cathedral opened its door to the public in 2013. The intriguing architecture, triangular-shaped glass windows, and cardboard tubes will leave you mesmerized, making it one of the best things to do in Christchurch.
Location: 234 Hereford Street, Christchurch
Price: If you want, you can take a guided tour costing 5 NZD
Timings: 9 am to 4 pm on Monday to Saturday. On Sunday, the timings are 7:30 am to 5 pm
10. Admire the beauty of Port Hills: If you are looking for a place to simply admire the unfiltered beauty of nature while soaking in the tranquil ambiance, then visiting Port Hills is an ideal choice.
After all, it is one of the most popular places to visit in Christchurch and derive its name due to numerous hills that you can observe between the port of Lyttelton and Christchurch. Here, you will find reserves, public parks, and mountain bike tracks for adventure enthusiasts, making it one of the most highly rated things to do in Christchurch.
Location: Port Hills, Canterbury